Government forced to drop compulsory sex education plans

1. LOL – No doubt it’ll somehow be because of the tories.

Again this is Labour for you. I’m not so sure we’d be better under them. They give way too much and they’re far too weak.

Also please not this is a Labour story not a tory one for all you socialist..

I Thank you!

2. Paul (UK) 7 Apr 2010, 5:40pm

As far as I see it, labour are weak and the tories are backwards. How could any sane party that gave two monkeys let this go?

My mind is made up, Lib Dems get my vote

3. Squidgy, agreed that Labour are no angels, and of course their amendment 70 was a total disgrace. However what happened here is, I assume, a result of the washup period and Tories blocking the legislation. Tories are showing their true colours once again, and that’s why to not vote for Labservative.

4. Patrick James 7 Apr 2010, 5:51pm

The bill has collapsed because of Conservative opposition.

The introduction of amendment 70 was with a view to compromise such that the bill might get through this process.

This is just another example of the Conservative party opposing LGBT rights legislation in Parliament.

There are many many examples of this.

Their opposition will ensure that if/when the Conservative party introduces biggest expansion of faith schools since the 19th century as reported in the Daily Mail the schools will be able teach on matters of sexuality as they pleased.

If the bill had been able to get through with Amendment 70, then of course at least the schools would have had to mention that homosexuality exists.

Squidgy writes:

LOL – No doubt it’ll somehow be because of the tories.

Well of course it is. Why don’t you read the story?

Squidgy write:

Well the Parliament functions in a manner which is not in Labour’s control. In what way is it a “weakness”? That is the stupidest thing I’ve read in a long time.

Also please not this is a Labour story not a tory one for all you socialist.

If you read the story you will find the bill has collapsed because of Conservative opposition.

Isn’t it obvious where the problem lies?

Why doesn’t Squidgy and people like Rob N or Vulpus Rex read what is going on in Parliament?

5. Patrick James 7 Apr 2010, 5:58pm

Dave writes:

course their amendment 70 was a total disgrace.

Yes of course it was a total disgrace, but this wash up period was why it was introduced in the first place to try and get it through the wash up.

Ed Balls knew fine well that the Conservatives would mount this opposition, so what else was he supposed to do?

If the bill had gone through with amendment 70 then of course the “faith” schools would still have had to include homosexuality in the sex education albeit with their no doubt homophobic “perspective”.

However without the bill the “faith” schools can do whatever they like.

Labour functions in parliament like anyone else. In this wash up they do not have control over the activities of the Conservative opposition but they did try to prepare for it.

6. Squidy: absolute nonsense. OF COURSE this is due to Consrvative opposition. Together with the Grayling gaffe we can all see too clearly that a Tory govt. will backslide and chip away at gay rights, hard won. This is merely the first of such occurrences.

7. Patrick James 7 Apr 2010, 6:20pm

In previous threads the bizarre gang of Conservative party/UKIP supporters Vulpus Rex, Rob N, Sister Mary Clarence and a couple of others have tried to mis-represent this whole Amendment 70 story.

To be honest I am sure they simply don’t understand it, but their anti-labour prejudice meant that they seized upon an interpretation from a fantasy world.

It would seem that the Conservative party’s opposition is such that even with Amendment 70 they will not let the bill go through.

So, now we see that if a Conservative government is elected the massive increase in faith schools planned by the Conservative government will have a free reign to present sex/relationship education as they wish.

In parliament the Conservatives in opposition have blocked LGBT rights reform wherever they can, be it in the House of Lords or this wash up. The Conservatives are further blocking reform and advocating homophobic parties in the European parliament.

8. Patrick James 7 Apr 2010, 6:27pm

Paul (UK) writes:

As far as I see it, labour are weak and the tories are backwards.

It is not about “weakness”. It is simply how parliament operates. At present the Conservative opposition is using all of its powers to block bills which benefit LGBT rights being processed.

Labour is subject to the parliamentary mechanism. Labour have tried every way to get this bill through parliament including the compromise of amendment 70 which was introduced in the hope that the Conservative party would not block that in wash up. However as we can see that the Conservatives have used their power in opposition to block even the compromised bill.

9. “As I have written previously Amendment 70 was introduced precisely because of this problem at the end of Parliament in which Ed Balls and Harriet Harman knew that there would be this opposition from the Conservative party.”

Strange that Ed Balls never made his reasons for the amendment clear at the time he put it through. The Catholic Education Service claimed it was a result of their representations to the Government. What is your evidence that the Amendment was put in to get the bill through the final hurdle? Did the Conservatives renege on an agreement?

10. Sister Mary clarence 7 Apr 2010, 6:39pm

Untrue Patrick. Ministers have at their disposal the Regulatory Reform Act that enables them to pass the legislation within reference to parliament. They have used the Act previously when they have introduced other legislation that they did not want slowed down by parliament – so it is factually incorrect to say they have “tried every way to get this bill through parliament”.

11. Sister Mary clarence 7 Apr 2010, 7:00pm

Oops – should have said, “pass the legislation ‘without’ reference to parliament”

12. As usual, this spineless bunch of cretins that are supposed to be running the country bottle out at the eleventh hour in case they upset the religious right. (That’s the Anglican and Catholic Christians, Muslim and Jewish lobbies. Don’t just blame it on the Archbishop).

This has obviously been part of the “washing-up” bartering process done before an election to try and get as much passed or dropped ASAP before the sh!t hits the fan.

13. why would anyone be surprised? tory, labour, lib dem, it just doesnt matter. the reason why this hasn’t gone through is because the majority of citizens in the UK are backward retarded mindless morons. don’t blame the politicians, its the masses they represent that are to blame.

14. All the Tories that bothered turning up for amendment 70 voted for it along with all but 4 of the Labour MPs.

So when the Tories say things like: “This bill would have meant a great new wave of bureaucracy swamping schools and it is good news that it has collapsed – teachers will breathe a sigh of relief. ”

We must ask the question why did the Tories vote for it in the first place! Sounds to me like the Conservatives flip flopped on this or are playing politics.

15. theotherone 7 Apr 2010, 9:35pm

Labour fvck us over again and it’s the Tories fault?

Oh just fvck off!

16. Oooh yeah RobN that’s right, all the religious right woke up today said a magic prayer and were transformed into Members of Parliament who were then able to veto the legislation. And that Conservative Party spokesman was just Sister Sally performing another miracle and sounding all politician like, the little minx.
    There’s only one party operating on orders from the Anglican/Catholic church and I’ll give you a clue: it’s all blue and doesn’t want you staying at it’s B&B.

17. theotherone 7 Apr 2010, 9:56pm

yes Roger and it’s the Tories that backed down to placate the religious? Don’t make me laugh

18. John(Derbyshire) 7 Apr 2010, 10:21pm

God help us all when the tories get in!

19. Mumbo Jumbo 7 Apr 2010, 10:30pm

People making the extraordinary claim that this was nothing to do with the Conservatives will want to read this article where they gloat and claim the “credit”:

20. Tories always against Gay People. They never ever change. Dave Chameleon will show his worse colours if elected.

21. Pumpkin Pie 8 Apr 2010, 6:48am

So laughable that such things are still controversial in this prudish little island of ours. Countries with better sex education and a more open attitude to sex have less STDs and unwanted pregnancies than those which suppress information and make people feel they’re being perverse. What fools these people be.

22. Pumpkin Pie 8 Apr 2010, 7:33am

I’m voting Labour, founder of Tory gay rights group says:-

23. I have spent most of my life debating politics. Listening to debate from all sides of the system and thoroughly enjoyed it but Never have I ever come across such nasty. vile people as I have done here. You clearly have no Idea of how to debate without getting personal and abusive. You don’t read threads you attack what you think you see and scream the place down because someone doesn’t come round to your way of thinking. Well here’s two points:-

1) I will debate with the adults here capable of such without the abuse,

and

2) I have decided no matter what, that my vote will go to the Tories. Our rights won’t stop and personally if that puts the fear into you then maybe you’ll start appreicating what you do have. We are suppost to be making things better not just for us but for all LGBT in the future. Instead we have self-centred, selfish, me, me, me people who don’t know how to communicate without being nasty, thinking it has to be all about them.

This is what your Labour party do and I for one what to see a better equal society where people do get on and we are able to make our own minds up without being beaten by this gay mafia ideal that come here for a start.

This is what Labour do, they slag off anyone with a difference of opinion. They fail to answer anybody else’s questions then attack because no-one wants to debate with them.

The Tories tend to go with actually allowing you to make you own mind up. That is what I want. Life’s too short to be bitter and angry. I want my life to be as happy as I start every morning.

Oh and yes I know this makes me a homophobe even though I’m gay, oh or maybe to you not gay. Also I know to some I’m stupid, support the BNP and all the other childish things you want to say.

Let me put it this way. I really wanted to listen to each party and make my decision that way but clearly there are gay people that would benefit from the thought of a Tory government and maybe, just maybe will become better, less angry and much more appreciative people and learn to love all the things we do have and enjoy. That way we will improve to the better equality rights we should be having.

I have made my decision, I don’t really care what some of you think. Truely if you don’t like it tough but be assured you and you alone are instrumental to how my decision was made.

Congrats you must be very bitter.

24. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/im-voting-labour-founder-of-tory-gay-rights-group-says-1938700.html

Pumpkin Pie said: “Oh my. Oh my goodness. That is some VERY interesting news. Thanks for the heads-up, dave. Methinks this will make it into today’s Pink News stories so we can all have a good natter over it.”

Pink News 4th July 2008:

Founder Anastasia Beaumont-Bott told PinkNews.co.uk:

We want to dispel the myth of a homophobic Tory party. Anyone who works in the party will tell you its very open.

25. The founder (and former leader) of LGBTory Group has this to say about the Tories:

” “I feel guilty because as a gay woman affected by LGBT rights I am on record saying you should vote Conservative, and I want to reverse that,” she said. “I want to go on record to say don’t vote Conservative. I’d go as far to say that I’ll vote Labour at this general election … the Chris Grayling issue has made me realise that a year-and-a-half ago, I was someone who was standing up and telling gay people that they should vote for Mr Cameron. But I became disillusioned after meeting one too many people in that party who were not like what the leader was saying the party was about. If you make a comment like [those made by Mr Grayling], you should be out. This isn’t a question of party lines – it is disgusting. I don’t like doing this to Mr Cameron. I like him, but the insides of his party are not what the people are led to believe.” ”

The Tories hate gay people – even the founder of LGBTory admits this.

A vote for the Conservatives is a vote for homophobia.

26. Squidgy: “I have decided no matter what, that my vote will go to the Tories.”

Even though they hate you?

Well I suppose you are a masochist.

That’s your choice.

27. “That’s your choice”

Thank you.

That’s the first sensible thing you’ve said.

28. Will THT now be obliged to hand back the £435,000 of Lottery funds they were awarded to provide sexual counseling to children as young as ten years old? The fact that this and the government’s “brand” of sex education would have first been processed through a PC wringer makes this a victory for common sense. Labour destroys everything it touches, and its sexual indoctrination of our kids and all the sinister undertones that implies would have been another nail in this country’s coffin.

29. Any Party that uses Cancer patients for political gain is just sick. The real question is Why aren’t patience being treated properly already. To use this as election tactic is disgusting.

30. Oh, just realised that should have been Patients not Patience.

31. John(Derbyshire) 8 Apr 2010, 11:59am

Squidgy-its not the people on here who are “nasty and vile”-its the Tories. THEY are the NASTY party!

32. you mean a bit like when Gordy B tells the Business leaders they’re being lied to then had to stop making them comments because it was making out the business leaders were being stupid. Nice 1 one way to alienate your core voters.

Labour and Labourites only know how to slag people off, like on her. They are so out of touch. They need to be booted out of office and we need someone who’s going to get on with running the country. That I believe the Tories can do.

33. Like when Gordy B says he wants to connect with the voters then when he’s asked by a parent why their child can’t get in to the schools of their choice the Gordy B slams the door in his face.

Nice way to connect Gordy B and Labour.

Labour have no idea and don’t deserve another 5 years trying to prove something they have spent 13 years failing to do!

Got a Labour Election candidate sheet this morning, only good for 1 thing… the bin however I am enviromentally doing my bit. It was the recycle bin.

34. Vincent Poffley 8 Apr 2010, 12:53pm

Sigh…

Parents should have no right to exclude their children from ANY education, least of all education regarding one of the most significant, important and unavoidable aspects of our biology, society and psychology. The vast majority of Britain’s sex-related problems (teenage pregnancies, homophobia, STD rates etc.) stem from the bad aftertaste of Victorian and 1950s sexual repression and prudery in our society. The evidence from other, more enlightened, countries is unequivocal – a relaxed, grown-up attitude toward sex reduces these problems markedly.

There should be nothing concealed or sordid or sinister about sex. Children should not be “protected” from information about it any more than they should be “protected” from information about driving or voting or joining the army. Until the majority of people get over this ridiculous notion that children and teenagers must have a major aspect of human existence hidden from them, we will not make significant progress in this field. There should be sex and relationship education given to ALL children of ALL ages, so that when they finally do get to the age where their biology kicks in and they want to try it out for themselves, not only are they in possession of all the facts but, perhaps more importantly, they regard sex as a natural, normal, healthy, unremarkable thing.

35. Dave Page 8 Apr 2010, 2:59pm

Another story about the Equality Bill which fails to mention that Labour refused to adopt Lib Dem amendments (proposed by Evan Harris) to strike out the opt-out for religious schools on teaching about same-sex relationships…

36. @squidgy: off the BBC!

Ed Balls drops key education reforms

Sex education was going to become compulsory in 2011
    Schools Secretary Ed Balls has dropped key reforms, including compulsory sex education for 15-year-olds, after failing to win Conservative support.

37. Labour are weak and spineless! They need to go . We need a change.

38. Rachel Titley 8 Apr 2010, 5:36pm

It’d be nice to know if they were going to enforce up to date sex education. When I was about 14, I was made to watch a video which informed me that the age of consent for gay men was 18. This was in 2005. Sex education lessons are useless anyway because the students have already got all their information off the internet. This is the issue that the government still haven’t quite got their heads around, as the Digital Economy Bill (the reason I will not be voting labour) proves: The internet is our friend.

Teachers don’t want to tell their students about sex (well, apart from the odd one or two once you get to sixth form, by which time it’s too late). I was never pulled out of sex education, and yet I’ve never learned anything that’s acutally useful to me as a gay woman. It was all just a combination of biology (sperm meets egg and baby happens) and common sense (use a condom use a condom use a condom. Don’t ever think that the new generation aren’t being told to use a condom or that they have trouble getting hold of them, really). *Stops, breathes*

This should have been a first step for Labour or the Lib Dems to build on after the election, or for us to lobby the Tories about. All we have to do is lobby harder now.
    And my reCaptcha words? “Rumbled lobbying” – oh irony, I love you

39. Just great. So now the UK will remain the number one western EU member with the highest out of wedlock birth rate. Ignorance is bliss it seems to both parties and the country as a whole. Expect even more restrictions once the other ineffectual party gets in on May 6.

Vincent, No. 35… that’s why Holland and Scandinavia do better than other countries, lower birth rates, fewere of what was once called “illegitimate” births as well as far lower HIV rates. We still bury our heads in the sand when it comes to sex, no thanks to the stranglehold the religious cults have on our politicians.