School sent lesbian teenager to ‘fake’ prom

1. Why stop with the gay and disabled students? Aren’t the Jews equally abhorrent?

And don’t bother with courts. Just burn the damn school to the ground.

2. American seems to be only one small step ahead of homophobic black Africa. Sad sick people.

3. this kind of thing drives me mental, i had to leave my highschool due to transphobic bullying and death threts and its just sick that not only would a school cancel a prom and expell a trans student and then that the parents are so bigoted that they go to the trouble of makeing an alternate prom just to leave out this girl and her girlfirend? that just mental, the fact that some people are so intollerant and go to such lengths is disgusting, it this sort of thing that makes me think we should start bashing back. this sort of thing shouldent happen anymore.

4. GouineMum 6 Apr 2010, 8:12pm

Guillotines anybody? I got kind of a sudden itch.

5. In all fairness if the parents are acting like this then their kids have no hope. Hate breeds hate.

6. Pumpkin Pie 6 Apr 2010, 9:28pm

This story just gets worse and worse after each revelation. At the very least, this girl can rest safe in the knowledge that every sane person in the civilised world recognises that she’s the “good guy” here. The adults in this town are just one story away from twirling their handle-bar moustaches while tying helpless maidens to railroad tracks.

7. How the HELL can people stand by and let this obvious bullying continue? This is disgusting!

8. PinkPolitico 7 Apr 2010, 1:38am

The extent to which homophobia is allowed to thrive in America never ceases to amaze me. In most other western democracies this would be widely comdemned as completely unacceptable behaviour yet in the States anti-gay sentiment is supported and given legitimacy by one of the two main political parties. No doubt the organisers of this prom are all signed up members and supporters of the religious right dominated Republican Party.

9. AKA William 7 Apr 2010, 2:37am

Even worse, one of Constance’s classmates left a comment on another blog explaining that they did, indeed, send Constance to the fake prom simply because she is lesbian. http://www.akawilliam.com/classmate-explains-why-constance-mcmillen-was-sent-to-fake-prom-because-shes-lesbian/

10. The people comparing America to Africa are quite odd.

I’m around the girl’s age and I’m out in high school. If I had done the same in Africa, I would of gotten the entire school shut down or “corrective” raped.

Also, political parties exist everywhere that are opposed to gay rights. We may have the republicans, but currently they are in the minority. I can say I’ve read a bit about the tories and labour and don’t even know what to think, but I’ve seen people label them homophobic as well.

Also, while the UK doesn’t have marriage, an increasing amount of states are going full blown marriage. Some have civil partnerships. You really can’t stereotype the entire USA, since at one point they were what the name implies: states. Their own countries that came together eventually, much like how the UK did.

…But I’m American, so this may be a bit biased. Nothern youth do not like being labeled for what our backwards southerner kin do. The next generation up north I can assure you is working hard to fight for gay rights.

11. Thank you for that link, AKA William. I am disgusted that such spiteful bigotry exists. I feel sick that these teenagers can be so hateful, so ignorant and so arrogant. It’s true that it’s their parents’ fault too, but any normal teenager would have felt some empathy for Constance and tried to amend matters.

The idiotic comments on that blog you quoted suggest that Constance was ‘attention-seeking’. Didn’t someone say the same thing about that guy who was allegedly thrown out by his parents? That always seems to be the thing the bigots say, as though asking to be treated as an equal human being is somehow being demanding. I doubt Constance wanted any attention at all, and all this attention her case is getting is caused by the bigots, not Constance.

It’s too much to hope that any of them feel any shame because people like this never do. There’s no getting through to them.

12. Mihangel apYrs 7 Apr 2010, 10:11am

If I were a US employer, college administrator, or someone else with “power”, I would make sure that no-one from the leavers of this school this year would get into any job or position that I could offer, they just aren’t mature and intelligent enough. Blackballing them and keeping them in that sty of a town would be poetic justice.

(Maybe I’m a vicious, vindictive old bitch, but I think I have the right to be after putting up with 40+ years of the straight world…

13. Mihangel apYrs 7 Apr 2010, 10:12am

that’s 40+ years since onset of puberty

14. How much of this hatred/ignorance is derived from a religious influence?

15. Mary Jarges 7 Apr 2010, 3:07pm

Instead of parents teaching the children about discrimination in the public arena, they just reinforced the pathetic bullying and exclusion of diversity. Being from the U.S. Believe me when I say this does not happen just in the southern states. Lets be honest, children and teenagers can be cruel at times when they are in a click or a group. When this group belittles a minority that is when the parents and SCHOOL are supposed to educate and help the children realize that grouping goes back to the animalistic instinct for survival in the wild by grouping friend from foe. It was surprising to see taxpayer dollars used to reinforce those animal instincts. And the US wonders why they cannot compete globally. This school should ask it’s taxpayers to build a Bush library next to the school. Even though the school was aware of prior court judgments going back to civil rights, the school board used the teenagers and parents to punish this girl in public arena.

16. I can just picture all those smug bigoted students in their fancy formal wear, and their equally shameful parents and teacher chaperons, laughing it up at their “real” prom, thinking they’ve gotten the last laugh by excluding all the social outcasts and anyone who’s not popular enough for their standards. (Gee, no wonder I always loved the movie “Carrie” so much!)

I’m just glad that Constance and the others at the “fake” prom wound up having such a good time. Maybe having separate, segregated proms isn’t such a bad idea after all. The closed-minded cretins who caused all this are obviously never going to change.

17. Well, it is Mississippi…they tend to live up to all their backwards, racist stereotypes year after year…

18. LadyGodiva 29 Apr 2010, 4:44am

She’s lying. She keeps changing her story. She first said she knew it was a fake one because she had previously known the real location, and when talking to another student he told her it had been moved.She said she took that as she wasn’t invited to the real one. She she went to the fake one anyway. I do not feel sorry for her. She want3ed all this attention and is acting all innocent. She deserves it. If she would have just showed up at prom in the tux and not been running her mouth, no one would have done anything. This girl is getting the karma she deserves

19. This is just downright filthy and disgusting. They violated her rights and yet they still don’t learn. At least she had a good time!

But the troubling thing also is that it sounds that the 5 other guests, 2 of which were disabled, sound like they were rejected from the other prom because of who they were. This school must be a fantastic place where they discriminate against gay, lesbian, trans and disabled people!