True Blood star Anna Paquin announces ‘I’m bisexual’

1. Hodge Podge 1 Apr 2010, 4:30pm

Everyone on True Blood is beautiful, and everyone gets tied up once an episode.

2. One of us, one of us…gobble gobble gobble

3. Now all that is needed to make my life perfect is Alexander Skarsgård coming up with that same statement.

4. What about Ryan Kwanten? Does he swing both ways? (I can only dream!)

5. LOL@Louie.

“True Blood star Anna Paquin announces ‘I’m bisexual'”

That’s cool. She’s halfway there then.

6. @ Rob N
    Halfway where? I think she has arrived already.

7. precisely Dromio
    why the ignorance `Rob?

8. Chester: Shut the f_ck up with your right-on PC attitudes.
    I’m just voicing my opinion. At least I have one instead of just moaning about other people’s.

9. It is good to try and taste!

10. Rob, how’s that whole leading an unfufilling life thing going? I often wonder why they let you post here, I’ve yet to read one positive thing with your name attached to it. And also, fair play to anna. Loved her in the piano and love her in true blood and xmen.

11. Phoenix0879 2 Apr 2010, 3:26am

Why the negative attitude towards bisexuality Rob? You know, for a minority group I see a lot of this intolerant crap coming from gay men. The number of times I get told rubbish like “don’t worry, you’ll come out properly sooner or later” is ridiculous.

I think this woman deserves kudos – she hasn’t come out to bolster a career, but to help a good cause. That’s well worth applauding. Bisexuality is no more a choice than homosexuality, so how about showing a little tolerance.

12. Why does anyone bother responding to Rob? All he does is come out with one stupid comment after another with the aim to provoke – you’re just giving him what he wants when you respond!

Anyway, congrats to Anna Paquin! I love her and Stephen Moyer as a couple but if anything happens… call me. :P

13. Does anyone see the irony in biphobia, especially the example of it that RobN gave?
    It has a cackling irony that a gay man (or woman) can go around, accusing a sexual minority of being “wrong” and relabeling them something they are not.
    Reminds me of how some religious nuts feel as though we’re wrong, labeling that we’re all into pedophilia or bestiality.
    Or maybe they go the full yard and even say we’re just choosing to call ourselves gay, much like how RobN says it is a bisexuals choice to call themselves bisexual.

As for me, I am happy to see someone come out as bisexual.
    I don’t personally identify as it, but the B in LGBT need a star to look up to, or at least spit at the homophobes. There are a lot of my peers in school here that identify as bisexual and IT IS legit.

14. Phoenix0879 2 Apr 2010, 5:20pm

I understand totally Zoe, it has always struck me as deeply ironic that a large part of a community that has to repeatedly say “we didn’t choose this” would then turn to others within the community and say the exact same thing they’ve been fighting.

I’m bisexual (and genuinely so, this isn’t a “hip” choice, it’s how my body is) and the sheer amount of biphobia within the queer community is quite frankly staggering at times, of which Rob’s post is a very tame example. I’ve been told several times that I’ll “come out properly one day”. How condescending is that?

15. RobN has OCD which compels him to sh/t stir several times a day. Its true.

16. Phoenix0879 2 Apr 2010, 6:11pm

Ah, see I’m new to commenting here so have yet to pick up on the rabble-rouser’s. Guess I’ll learn quick enough :)

17. David in Indy 2 Apr 2010, 10:33pm

Anna Paquin is American? I thought she was from New Zealand. Well anyway, congratulations to her. I wish her all the best.

18. Yes, she is from New Zealand…. like me. I wish her all the best too david. She is lovely, there is no doubt about it.

19. Tatstsyana Puchak 3 Apr 2010, 12:16pm

Yeah she is as Bisexual as Anne Heche was lesbian – what a joke.. The woman is getting married to a bloke so i would say she is straight!!

20. @ Tatstsyana:

You do know the definition of bisexuality?

21. Phoenix0879 3 Apr 2010, 1:47pm

@ Tatstsyana:

Y’know, I find women and men attractive, so even if I married a woman tomorrow it wouldn’t change that, I’d still like both. That’s kind of what it means to be bisexual.

So basically, yeah, what Lucius said :)

22. Lucius: “@ Tatstsyana: You do know the definition of bisexuality?”

23. Notice how robn ignored all the criticism of his views and old replied to the obviously retorical question. Fitting I guess.

24. Tatstsyana Puchak 5 Apr 2010, 5:46am

It’s people such as this woman that make it difficult for Lesbian/gay people to come out.

No wonder most people think being gay is a choice when we have individuals like this change like the wind.

25. Phoenix0879 5 Apr 2010, 7:38am

Rob N: I do. It’s a gay person without the conviction, commitment and balls to face and admit their deepest fears.

Oh shove it. It’s people like YOU that made my life so hard for over a decade. I came out as bisexual and everyone freaked, “oh you’ve got to be one or the other” so I flipped, I went from one closet to another: from hiding my attraction to men to hiding my attraction for women. But guess what, my body reacts equally to men AND women. You know what that means? It’s means I’m bisexual, it’s not a choice, it’s not having a “lack of balls”, it’s called being WHO I AM. It took over a decade for me to realise that people like you are simply ignorant and I should stop listening to them and live as I am, bisexual through and through – born and bred.

People like you, who say bi’s are “afraid” to come out are as bad as the lunatics who say people “choose” to be gay. Go and sit in the naughty corner with Phelps and his ilk Rob, ‘cos bigots like you are what is wrong with the LGBT community.

26. David in Indy 5 Apr 2010, 8:08am

#19 – “Yes, she is from New Zealand…. like me. I wish her all the best too david. She is lovely, there is no doubt about it.”

Hey Jon!

Yeah, that’s what I thought, although I can understand why some people confused her for an American. Her Southern American accent in “True Blood” is flawless. She even fooled me there for a quick minute.

Anna is adorable. And very talented. I hope she has more freedom now that she’s publicly declared her sexuality.

Anna, you go girl!

27. I know personal experiences shape our view of the world, so something quite unpleasant must have happened to both Rob_N and Ms Puchak. Why are you so angry?

It took me the same amount of time as it took Phoenix to realize it’s actually people like you who are the problem, not my bisexuality.

28. Phoenix0879 5 Apr 2010, 4:53pm

I guess you’re more generous than me Lucius, because I don’t see personal experience as any excuse for ignorance and bigotry, which is what biphobia like Rob N’s is – it’s bigotry. And my listening to people like Rob N caused me no end of mental torment for over a decade, saying I was gay but secretly being attracted to women as well, wondering was I a freak, all cos I listened to people like Rob.

So because of that, these days I cut bigotry like that NO slack. We don’t tolerate homophobia and I see zero reason to tolerate biphobia either. But that’s just me, guess I’m getting militant since I hit thirty lol

29. Sure, RobN et al, everyone’s either gay or straight. Just like they’re all either four foot ten or six foot two, and everyone in the world who isn’t French is Russian.

30. Phoenix0879: “But that’s just me, guess I’m getting militant since I hit thirty lol”

31. Phoenix0879 7 Apr 2010, 6:24am

Rob N: “Sounds more like just plain greedy to me. Most of us wouldn’t have chips AND rice on the same plate.”

Which implies you believe bisexuality is a choice. Tell me, when did you choose to be gay?

I am monogamous (in case you’re curious, that means I genuinely only date one person at a time) and I would never cheat on a partner. The only difference is that, biologically, my body reacts to both sexes so there’s equal odds of my partner being male or female. That’s not greed, it’s just a fact. Greedy would be having a boyfriend and a girlfriend at the same time, something I would never do.

So take your biphobia and shove it where the sun don’t shine. Maybe you’ve been burnt in the past by a bi guy, but that’s no excuse for bigotry.

32. Phoenix0879: “Which implies you believe bisexuality is a choice.”
    Read in whatever implications you want. I am not ‘biphobic’, (where the hell did that word come from?), because I really don’t think bisexuality is a true state. I recognise that sexuality is not black and white, but shades of grey. Very few straights, or gays that are 100% one way or another, but most generally make a decision one way or another which side they fall on. That sounds like it’s a choice, but not in the way some see it. You can’t choose to be gay, but you can choose to accept it. Many gay people choose to live straight lives because it is too difficult to do otherwise, or they are in complete denial of their sexuality. I think bisexuality is either denial, or a transitory acceptance on the way to accepting what and who you are. Even if you are 49/51 % (which is rare), most will choose to come down on one side or another. There is no such thing as sitting on the fence. Even then, as a gay guy, if I have the occasional fling with a girl, does that make me bisexual? No. It just makes me a gay guy that sometimes plays away. Most people have a partner of some description, you can’t have both so you have to make a choice, whether your sexual feelings tell you otherwise or not. My earlier comments were intentionally flippant, but I seriously think you need to assess who it is you want to be with, and go from there.

33. Phoenix0879 7 Apr 2010, 4:20pm

Rob N: “but I seriously think you need to assess who it is you want to be with, and go from there.”

Also, why should I deny potential partners because it’s easier for narrow-minded fools to class me as “gay” or “straight”. Love doesn’t care about gender. I hid from the truth of my sexuality for over a decade by saying I was just gay, before that I spent six or seven years doing the opposite, saying I was straight. Neither of those are true and I REFUSE to live a lie because it’s easier on narrow-minded bigots who can’t get over their preconceived notions of acceptable sexualities.

I did assess who I wanted to be with and had the courage and balls to accept the nuances of my body and embrace them. My body reacts to men and women, I will no longer deny that – the last time I did that, pretending to be straight then pretending to be gay, I came within inches of ending up in therapy. All because I tried to appease narrow-minded individuals like yourself who can’t open their minds and accept that sexuality isn’t as clean-cut as they’d like.

34. Phoenix0879: You don’t say what sex you or your partner are, but that doesn’t really matter. You have chosen a partner and already defined your role.

As for love, I never believed in it myself. Just bullsh!t to flog crap movies and bits of tat in February. It was acquired in a hostile takeover by Hallmark and Disney, homogenised, and sold off piece by piece.

Moi? Cynic? You betchyerass! ;)

35. Phoenix0879 8 Apr 2010, 5:48am

I didn’t mention I had a partner – I discussed potential partners, as I’m currently single. I have had male and female partners in the past and loved each of them, so I haven’t “defined my role”, such a statement is nonsense and goes towards something I said in a post that never appeared (and I spent so long writing it too). I’ll summarise:

Your reaction to bisexuality is rooted in societies reaction to it – as a group, humans generally dislike things which cannot be easily classified: gay or straight is such an example – you can be one or the other, but if you go against that ideal and say “actually, there’s more to it than that” then people start to get a little freaked. It removes the comfort of the either/or mindset. Such an approach is clearly fictitious – in the realm of human emotions and attractions there’s never such a thing as a clear cut this or that.

So, you should shake off the shackles of these preconceived notions. In an earlier post you said “Even then, as a gay guy, if I have the occasional fling with a girl, does that make me bisexual? No. It just makes me a gay guy that sometimes plays away.” This is exactly what I’m referring to with giving into societies “either/or” structure. You’ve been led to believe that you have to be one or the other – the very same thing which happened to me. If you’re a man who has sex with men and women, I’ve news for you – you’re not a gay man, you’re a bisexual man in denial, enslaved by societies expectations.

As for my gender, does it really matter? But if you’re that interested, I’m a thirty year old male. I only recently came out as bi (about 18 months ago) after living a lie since I was 19 and saying I was gay, all the time harboring a secret attraction to women as well as men. I gave into the same expectations of society that you seem so ensnared by. But I threw those shackles off. It’s very liberating, you should try it some time.

36. Having lived the first 30-odd years as a “straight” guy before coming to terms with my gay sexuality, I know I personally don’t need women in my life. That said, I know a pretty girl when I see one, and I can identify with that part of me, but I think the concept of me ever having sex with a girl again is highly unlikely, but I am man enough to say “Never say never”.

You are still young, and I am certain that in time you will find a partner and that will eventually cast your sexual identity in stone. Until then, your desires are still fluid, but I am sure time will tell.

37. Phoenix0879 8 Apr 2010, 8:55pm

You don’t seem to get it Rob, my sexuality IS cast in stone. I AM BISEXUAL. It’s how my body is wired and will never, ever change. I won’t suddenly “become” gay or straight, it simply won’t happen – there’s better odds of the Pope saying “actually, god really likes gays and what they do in bed”.

Whether I settle down with a man or woman, it will never change the fact that I am bisexual. I may have a straight or gay relationship, but that relationship is not the definition of my sexuality, it is a representation of part of it. No matter who I end up in a relationship, if anyone asks me “are you gay?” I will answer that no, I’m not. I’m bisexual.

38. Glad I’ve flinlay found something I agree with!