Straight classmates exclude lesbian student from private prom

1. Shame on this backwards hick town and school for their actions.

Well done to Tonic for the scholarship money. That’s worth far more than any prom as it allows McMillen to leave such a backwards place behind her. Its a shame another school in another town has not invited her and her girlfriend.

Itawamba and the state of Mississippi is shown for what it is around the world.

2. I hope she just gets invited to some big-shot hollywood party to rub shoulders with celebrities and leave those hicks in her home town to enjoy their prom in the furniture store and contemplate where their discriminatory behaviour has led this brave young woman.

She now has funding for her college education, an internship offer for this summer, has been on Ellen’s show — she just needs to be invited to some really cool party.

I understand (sort of) that prom is a big deal for American kids but ultimately it’s just a party and I hope that if people can’t force those saddos to invite her to the prom night, that this incident can just be turned into something positive for her life.

3. What vindictive little shits. Sadly with memories of school still fresh in my mind I can’t brush this off as something that only happens in the US, but I wish this brave young woman the best.

4. These are vile people, behaving this way to the poor young woman. The worst part is that you know that the young people in the school are being lead by the bigoted adults.
    She’s got plenty of cool things coming her way though, Wanda Sykes invited Constance to present an award to her at the upcoming GLAAD awards in LA (April 17th I think) and Perez Hilton has invited her to a big Hollywood party. Hopefully this will all be fun.
    Also, as well as the scholarship money from Tonic she’s also been invited to intern for them in New York over the summer. I think the sooner she gets out of that town the better for her.

5. Perhaps wrongly, proms are seen as a defining moment in a young persons life and to deny one person their experience of this based solely on their choice of date is simply barbaric. Constance McMillen should be applauded for standing up to the narrow minded views of her peers. I totally agree with laura’s sentiments above – bastards!

6. “The worst part is that you know that the young people in the school are being lead by the bigoted adults.”

Yes, to read that the parents organised this and didn’t invite Constance is sickening. How would they feel if it was THEIR child being victimised because of who they are? They should be ashamed at the bigotry they’re displaying. And the students should too. Obviously getting the chance to go to their special party is more important than another student’s civil rights. Disgusting.

7. Har Davids 22 Mar 2010, 5:20pm

In some parts of the world homophobia is alive and kicking and Itawamba is trying to keep up. Constance McMillen seems to have been out of the closet for a while, shouldn’t her fellow-students have recovered from the shock by now?

8. Pumpkin Pie 22 Mar 2010, 6:48pm

What horrid parents and children. Of course, we shouldn’t forget the real villains here. The school’s cancellation of and press releases concerning the prom were all specifically designed to deflect blame from the school and allocate it to this one student. They’re adults. Adults who can hide behind the sinister veneer of an “organisation”. She’s a lone kid at a vulnerable stage in her life in a state which doesn’t accept her sexuality. And the cowards turn it around and risk her very safety at the hands of bullies just so they don’t have to deal with angry letters.

There is no way these people don’t know how vulnerable kids – especially LGBT kids – are. There is no way they don’t know about the damage exclusion and bullying can do. And there is no way they’re not aware of the suicide rate for teenagers involved in these kinds of problems. And yet they still decided to deflect all blame to this lone, innocent kid. These “people” are monsters. They have absolutely no right to call themselves teachers and should resign immediately. Every single one of them is a despicable coward and bully.

In fact, this story makes me want to *rage* so bad that I think I’ll send that school an email. I think somebody posted the address in a previous thread. I’ll see if I can find it again…

9. douglas in canada 22 Mar 2010, 6:55pm

I wonder if any of her classmates will refuse to go to the furniture store prom, to show their support for her.

And… a party in a furniture store? in tuxes and ballgowns? They certainly DO have a different idea of ‘elegant’ and ‘classy.’

10. I think its great how she is handling the situation. She’s obviously handling it a lot better than the people posting on this article. I surely hope abi1975, Laura, etal aren’t advocating gay rights and making a bad name for us. I don’t know if you have isolated yourself in an accepting urban setting… but McMillian is on the ground, and her generation is working things the correct way. Wow.

11. BrazilBoysBlog 22 Mar 2010, 9:20pm

Very pleased that things appear to be working out for this young lady.

What totally vindictive idiots her class´mates´ are! I only hope that none of them ever suffer from discrimination and want the support of their friends.

I agree with the other posters who have said, I only hope these kids and adults reflect on their small town lives and bigotry during their little furniture store prom. I hope this girl gets to rub shoulders with the rich and very famous and enjoys a party to make the bigots green with envy!

12. Pumpkin Pie 22 Mar 2010, 11:35pm

What ‘choo talkin’ ’bout?

13. she’s brave, allot more brave than I was at her age.

14. I know firsthand how upsetting and damaging exclusion can be — especially to a teenager. It’s disgusting, like a giant bitchfest behind her back.

15. friday jones 23 Mar 2010, 8:06am

Perhaps Constance could start organizing another dance at the same time that’s open to any students of her school desiring to attend, with a cover fee for expenses? Surely there must be some LGBTQ-owned furniture stores in the region….

16. NotSoAverageAmerican 23 Mar 2010, 4:10pm

This is most likely being driven by the backwards religious beliefs held by so many in the south. Of you’re looking for someone to blame, it’s the churches which continue to teach ignorance.

17. I hope this whole thing backfires on the redneck-attitude town who are excluding this girl from attending. She’s grown up there, gone to school there and has every right in the world to go to her prom like all the others, with a date of her own choice.

Now that she’s becoming a bit of a star on the telly, I hope she tells her horrible classmates to f*** off if they suddenly start being all friendly with her.

18. it makes perfect sense that they wouldnt want her at their prom. their not excluding her because shes gay, their excluding her because she ruined their real prom and made it necessary for them to hold a private one. what the school did was wrong but what the students did was perfectly legitimate.

19. Methinks those stoopid students misplaced their anger toward one student who happened to be gay. If they couldn’t figure out it was the school authority acting as a giant-ass mechanism that did the harm, they couldn’t be too bright. It’s always those loud-mouthed minorities, eh?

20. “their excluding her because she ruined their real prom”

No, the SCHOOL did. They blamed Constance because they hoped that the students would fall for this lie. They did – which is depressing in itself as it shows they’re gullible and incapable of working things out themselves. Of course, that goes for a lot of ‘Christians’ who swallow the most ridulous statements hook, line and sinker.

21. Abi, thank you for that link. About to read now.

22. No, Fitz, that’s crap. It wasn’t her fault that the prom was cancelled and stopping her from going to a private prom that every ELSE is going to is bullying by exclusion.