US school cancels prom over lesbian student’s date

1. Strange. So those inbred, redneck hicks are allowed to bring their sibling as their date but not a same sex partner.

Ugly, inbred hillbillies.

2. Better yet, don’t just cancel the prom… close the school. Open a new one with decent staff. Cast the current goons in irons for promoting homophobic hatred and throw them in clink.

3. That’s a real shame for everyone, the girl is going to be accused of preventing the rest of the pupils having a good time, and they will have to suffer because of this schools tiny-minded bigotry.

That said, more pupils should do the same until it is considered acceptable by all to bring their partners of whatever sexuality.

I hear now the “prom” culture is hitting the UK, (yet more unwanted Yank imports), – but we shall see if a similar situation happens here, and how our schools will accommodate it.

4. the.kitty.channel 11 Mar 2010, 12:41pm

The school’s website: http://www.itawambaahs.com/ .

Contacts: dthomas@itawamba.k12.ms.us ; Mr. Trae Wiygul, Principal: twiygul@itawamba.k12.ms.us ; Mr. Rick Mitchell, Assistant Principal rmitchell@itawamba.k12.ms.us .

For me, every single day is an IDAHO.

5. I encourage you to send an email to the administrators of this establishment – urging them (in a non-judgemental tone) to reconsider their actions. This is just wrong – and it’s going to impact all the students invololved… none of it in a positive fashion.

6. Leon K Fox 11 Mar 2010, 1:00pm

There are no words to describe how low this is.

7. Land of the free (except if your an 18 year old lesbian and her partner)

Home of the brave (cowardly in this case)

More examples of the Christian Taliban at work in the USA.

8. Sister Mary clarence 11 Mar 2010, 1:08pm

I take that they have failed to read their own mission statement then.

9. So it’s true what they say that some parts of America are still backward, tsk, tsk, tsk

10. Sad to see Mississipi living up to its reputation. Anyone hanging from trees in the school grounds?

11. Daniel Pitt 11 Mar 2010, 1:47pm

This is not only a breach of civil liberties but the clear incitement of homophobic hatred set as a (very poor) example to students via their elders who should know better. Tragic.

12. Land of the free!
    I don’t think so.
    Now that racism is no longer (and rightly so) acceptable to the majority they only have lesbians and gays to publicly hate.
    The USA certainly is a strange country. Pockets of forward thinking people in the North East and parts of California but the rest living in the dark ages. Dreadful!

13. Has no one yet smacked Mary’s black backside, because she is a naughty girl!

14. God bless the united states of Borg

15. Constance McMillen, […] was told she could attend the event with her girlfriend, also a student at the school.

When Ms McMillen challenged the decision through the American Civil Liberties Union.
    I think there’s a ‘not’ missing.
    As for the whole situation, well, it’s american, don’t say you’re surprised.

16. Gene Touchet 11 Mar 2010, 4:32pm

Sad. Religious-sustained ignorance. It’s world wide.

17. I can’t see the point of proms, what’s the reason for having them? Ditto for Trick or Treating at Halloween, children begging for treats or else they play a trick on you. Mindless stuff and sending the wrong message to children that if you can’t get what you want in life, then someone is going to pay for it with retribution. No wonder there is so much more petty crime in America than here. Another import we can do without. A stupid way to raise children.

18. Please don’t associate all of the United States with those backwards ass country $#@#%! from the south; they’ve hated minorities since the civil war. That being said they are technically following the American law in that if you can’t discriminate against one group or individual you must discriminate equally, ergo no one gets to go. Values are an important part of public education which is why more than half of all schools teach abstinence; underage pregnancies breed character like singling out one particular student in an important life lesson about what happens when there’s mob rule coupled with family values rhetoric. It’s the kind of simple logic that makes the land of Dixie so contestable we wish they would have become their own country. This really isn’t surprising; they still segregate some proms down south too–Atlanta did it up until a few years ago saying students preferred it that way because there was too much discourse and arguements over music/theme etc…more racist bs…you get the picture.

19. “Ms McMillen was also told that if she danced with her girlfriend, the couple would be thrown out.”

Yeah, right – because you never see straight girls dancing together do you? Idiots. I do wish the nasty, spiteful ignorant tw@ts responsible for this decision were taken to court and prosecuted. Hopefully, all the students will see that this girl is in no way to blame and that it’s totally the school’s fault that they’ll have no prom.

20. Dominick J. 11 Mar 2010, 5:46pm

First I’m surprised not more of her “friends” aren’t standing beside her.
    Second, if getting more media coverage of what the school is doing will help after, then by all means get it out there news media!!! It is a Government funded school. The principal should be fired and any staff who would agree with the Principal should be let go too!! And the parents should challenge the School and name it’s principal in a law suit over this and I would Hope the ACLU would be at their side for this.

21. i sent the principal an e-mail with a piece of my mind! we should be filling up these tramps inboxes up with messages of support for this girl..

22. Wow… it would be good if people organising the private prom would dedicate the evening to her… Hopefully she’ll get some support from her community.

23. Dave North 11 Mar 2010, 9:22pm

Stop Press….

She is suing the School.

Ain’t the United Sphincter of @rsehole ( USA ) wonderful.

24. This is the update on PamsHouseblend

The American Civil Liberties Union filed a lawsuit today against a Mississippi High School that has cancelled prom rather than let a lesbian high school student attend the prom with her girlfriend and wear a tuxedo to the event. In papers filed with the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Mississippi, the ACLU asks the court to reinstate the prom for all students at the school and charges Itawamba County School District officials are violating Constance McMillen’s First Amendment right to freedom of expression.

“All I wanted was the same chance to enjoy my prom night like any other student. But my school would rather hurt all the students than treat everyone fairly,” said McMillen, an 18-year-old senior at Itawamba Agricultural High School in Fulton, Mississippi. “This isn’t just about me and my rights anymore – now I’m fighting for the right of all the students at my school to have our prom.”

Today’s filing comes after Itawamba County School District issued a statement yesterday saying they were cancelling prom, following a letter from the ACLU and the Mississippi Safe Schools Coalition demanding that they reverse their decision. McMillen said that before that happened, school officials had told her that she could not arrive at the prom with her girlfriend, also a student at IAHS, and that they might be thrown out if any other students complained about their presence at the April 2 event.

“Itawamba school officials are trying to turn Constance into the villain who called the whole thing off, and that just isn’t what happened. She’s fighting for everyone to be able to enjoy the prom,” said Kristy Bennett, Legal Director of the ACLU of Mississippi. “The government, and that includes public schools, can’t censor someone’s free expression just because some other person might not like it.”

In today’s legal complaint, the ACLU asks the court to reinstate the prom for all students and charges that the First Amendment guarantees students’ right to bring same-sex dates to school dances and cites cases holding that other parties’ objections don’t justify censorship. The ACLU also said that the school further violates McMillen’s free expression rights by telling her that she can’t wear a tuxedo to the prom.

“It’s shameful and cowardly of the school district to have cancelled the prom and to try to blame Constance, who’s only standing up for herself. We will fight tooth and nail for the prom to be reinstated for all students,” said Christine P. Sun, Senior Counsel with the ACLU national LGBT Project, who represents McMillen along with the ACLU of Mississippi.

The ACLU will ask the court in the next few days to grant McMillen a preliminary injunction ordering the school to reinstate the April 2 prom, let McMillen and her girlfriend go to the prom together, and let McMillen wear a tuxedo to the event.

McMillen is represented by Bennett and Sun, as well as by Norman C. Simon and Joshua Glick of Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP.

The case name is Constance McMillen v. Itawamba County School District, et al. Also named as defendants are Superintendent Teresa McNeece and Itawamba Agricultural High School Principal Trae Wiygul and Vice Principal Rick Mitchell. Additional information, including a copy of today’s legal complaint, is available at: http://www.aclu.org/lgbt-rights/fulton-ms-prom-discrimination. There is also a Facebook group for people who want to support McMillen: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Let-Constance-Take-Her-Girlfriend-to-Prom/357686784817

25. The high school that my daughter graduated from last year not only let her wear a tux to prom her junior and senior year, but, she was also permitted to take a female friend. The same for all dances and events at the school…my daughter was never discriminated against for being gay during her high school career. She also spearheaded the “National Day of Silence” each year, with support of the administration. This is bullying and discrimination at its worst.

26. jckfmsincty 12 Mar 2010, 4:39am

Who says Mississippi isn’t progressive?

27. Autostraddle is putting up a gallery of girls who brought girls to prom to show how sweet and not weird it is! check it out:

28. Thank you for that, Val – lovely pics. And thank you for the update, Abi1975.

29. The Itawamba school website appears to be down, otherwise I would have written to them to tell them what bigoted b@stards they are.

I have joined the Facebook group though.

I am outraged that this girl was prevented from attending the prom with her girlfriend.

30. Aha! I found the relevant email addresses on the Facebook group.

Here’s the email that I sent to tmcneece@itawamba.k12.ms.us, twiygul@itawamba.k12.ms.us

Dear Superintendent McNeece and Principal Wiygul,

I am writing to point out that lesbian and gay students have a right to bring a same-sex date to the prom and wear clothing congruent with their gender identity under the First Amendment, and the US Supreme Court has ruled that a policy or public entity that is based on discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people violates the Fourteenth Amendment.

Simply cancelling the prom seems like a disproportionate response to a simple request to bring a same-sex partner. Please reinstate the prom and allow Constance McMillen to bring her partner as her date, and wear a tuxedo if she wishes.

I am deeply dismayed by your discriminatory practice, and feel that it should be a matter of regret to you that your school is now infamous around the world for this bigoted, disproportionate and unjust response to a lesbian student and her partner.

Yours sincerely

More info from the ACLU

31. Har Davids 12 Mar 2010, 2:27pm

Like most people, I’d never heard of this school, but it has managed to get the attention from all over the world. The decision to cancel the prom is the school’s, but I wonder if the other students had a problem with the presence of a gay couple.

32. HeyI want you guys to know that this isn’t just a problem in the states I live in Canada and because I go to a catholic school I am not aloud to bring a same sex partner. I am in grade 12 and two months ago my girlfriend at the time realized that it wasn’t all dress shopping and shoe hunting. When I explained to her that I would have to get a male escort or be paired with an opposite sex floater (a person you don’t know to accompany you and is in your grad pictures till the day you die ugh!) she was very upset. I explained that my school doesn’t even allow their students to go to grad alone. She (being both stubborn and jealous) said she would dump me if I went to my own graduation. I couldn’t disappoint my family that way since they don’t even support my bisexuality. She dumped me as she said. When I went back out into the dating world I had to realize that a lot of girls found this unfair so I refused to date anymore girls due to that heartbreak poor Linda went through. I am now with a boy who is sweet enough. But I will always think what if I missed finding THE ONE cause I wouldn’t have been able to take her to grad.

33. Joe Schmoe 13 Mar 2010, 4:57pm

Normally, the school would have the right to cancel the prom for any reason or no reason. However, in this case the cancellation is aimed at circumventing civil rights laws. Hence completely unacceptable!

34. Well… I am considered a redneck,but I still think people should be allowed to be themselves. It should not matter who their date is, or what their sexual preference is. That is no-ones business. A prom is a prom for ALL the students. Who is anyone to judge anyone else by their own uptight and ignorant ideas? So much for progression!!

35. This was a good job on the schools part. Still shows that some people are moral!