Three stabbings and 35 arrests at Sydney Mardi Gras

1. The whole event is on its last legs if this year is any indication. Banning gay community members because of corporate deals, paying actors to pretend to be gay, 3 stabbings, 35 arrests, who knows how many bashings, drunkedness and drug overdoses everywhere, it is just a diabolical mess. The worst ‘advertisement’ for gay and lesbian community in existence… it’s like our enemies got together and said ‘How can we make gays and lesbians look as bad as possible?’ and came up with Sydney Mardi Gras.

2. “The world’s biggest gay and lesbian festival”

Are you not missing at lest two other groups Staff Writer?

3. theotherone 1 Mar 2010, 4:24pm

‘Are you not missing at lest two other groups Staff Writer?’

—only deliberately.

4. It’s official title is the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras so if you have issue with that then write to the organisers.
    Over 9,500 floats were featured this year and hundreds and thousands took part, so the crime figures are tiny and down on last year. If you were to compare this to other hetero inspired events like St Patricks day and Peurto Rican day then our community should be proud of a comparatively safe event. Mardis Gras also commissioned the nude photo shoot beside Sydney Opera house to promote equality, so by any measure this is hardly on it’s last legs.
    Yes it has gotten more commercial but given that corporates want to invest we should view it’s evolution as something positive instead of this glass half full….

5. They should have the decency to remove our colours from the rainbow flags they use if the B & T are not included!

6. You forgot, it’s the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex, Queer, and Questioning.

Or is there anyone else out there that still feels disenfranchised?

“Bert, we’re going to need a longer flag!”

7. Michael in Sydney 1 Mar 2010, 6:18pm

@abi1975 – many gay men and lesbians don’t feel even part of this non-inclusive event. Bisexual and trans people? Forget it! It’s really only a Mardi Gras for walking stereotypes, mainly white gay males who live in the gym and go to circuit parties. Trans people are only acceptable if they’re club ‘showgirls. Bisexuals aren’t represented at all as far as I know.

8. Seems like they’re too concerned about excluding people and not concerned enough about safety.

9. So what if bi and trans people are not represented? I’m gay, why do I have to fight for transgender? It would be like black people fighting for Chinese people? Let transgender fight their own battle. Our battle is hard enough.

10. Dave North 1 Mar 2010, 10:48pm

These type of events seem to be turning into parodies of themselves, and by all counts from this nonsense, it can be taken that it is being externally manipulated to be just that.

Being born in the sixties and still in sufferance of all the gay stereotypes that I grew up with in the seventies.

You know the ones.

Liberace; Mr. Humphries; Larry Grayson; Dick Emery etc.

I just wish they could stop all this flamboyant crap and stop feeding flames to the bigots fire.

And as for Transgenders. My colleague is trans-gender and toon loon me thought I was helping by discussing gay\bi issues.

I was told to take a flying F at myself by them.

Lesson Learned.

Solve your own probs peeps.

We’ve got enough on our plate.

Stop living off of the back of gays gains then moaning about poor representation.

11. Im from Melbourne and i came to Sydney last weekend for the 2010 Mardi Gras. I can 100% say that Sydney can keep this event. Although it brought in 29million dollars revenue, as an australian born and raised citizen, i have never been so afraid to walk our streets before. I am 93Kgs and 6ft 4inches tall, and having young idiots throwing bottles around is too much too handle. At Every corner something was brewing. What a Joke this historical Event has become. Sydney government and Police, lift your game.

12. Edward – Because Bi and Trans people have been fighting for your rights as a gay male for the past 30-40 years. Now its time for a bit of reciprocation for once.

13. Dave North: I am totally with you on that, but I’m glad you said it, not me, or I would be accused of my apparent “internalised homophobia”, (whatever the hell that is.)

On point though, Dick Emery was not gay, in fact he was renowned for being a ladie’s man bordering on the perv.

14. I agree with most of the above. The Mardi Gras is really trying to be like RIo. Not a gay event any more. Really is time to move on with Mardi Gras. we are all feeling disinfranchised and disillusioned with the event. It does not represent us at all now. It is so repetitive,boring, tedious, unimaginative etc.

15. Pumpkin Pie 2 Mar 2010, 5:12am

Oh, right, because the gays have been carrying the transgenders all these years. Where the hell did you learn your queer history? Abi1975 summed it up nicely.

I can’t believe that there’s still people out there who don’t think LGBTs are stronger together.

16. Dave North 2 Mar 2010, 9:11am

“On point though, Dick Emery was not gay”

I meant the gay character he portrayed.

“Where the hell did you learn your queer history?”

– Pumpkin Pie.

The disassociation comment from LGB came from a transgendered individual. Not ME.

17. I think the point Abi was making is that they’re using the LGBT pride flag in the parade. They shouldn’t be using it if the event is just for gays and lesbians. Hell, even the name is ‘Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras’ – no mention of nisexual or trans there. I guess if it was inclusive they’d call it something like Sydney Queer Mardi Gras.

18. Seb: I remember when it was just called “Gay Pride”; it kind of said it all really, instead of this ugly mish-mash of words that sounds like a car crash. As usual, politics always seems to get in the way of people just wanting to have a bit of fun.

19. Bloody hell, RobN, what you think you can get away with!

Sorry, Sonny Boy, but some of us don’t forget what you say. Be afraid!

Above you have written, “I remember when it was just called “Gay Pride”; it kind of said it all really, instead of this ugly mish-mash of words that sounds like a car crash.”

But you forget that not so long ago on these pages you declared in one of your usual destructive sh*t-stirring moments that if you were to go anywhere near any gay pride happening you’ld want “to shove their whistles down their throats”!

Yes, your usual hatred of gays.

But higher up in this thread RobN betrayed just a glimmering of gay pride, a nascent self-pride. However, I can’t quote the number of the Comment and thus the exact words he used, because the message unfortunately began with a spewing of homophobia and, presumably because of that, I am glad to see that it has been removed by the Moderator! Yes, RobN, your spewing of self-hatred has been removed by the Moderator.

Good.

We’re watching and we’re recording, and your continual destructive on these threads does not go unnoticed.

20. continual destructiveness

21. Scott of Sydney 2 Mar 2010, 12:57pm

Wow a lot of internalised homophobia on these posts. Not just by Rob N.
    The incident in Kings Cross happened on a corner that has violence on most weekends. To the point as noted that the shop continued trading despite being a crime scene. As such that incident may not have any bearing on the Sydney Gay, Lesbian and Transgender Parade at all.
    For official title go check out the web site. The police themselves say that the increase in safety was great. The crowd this year was greater and the buzz from those that went was that it was one of the best in years. So it will continue with its in your face outrageousness. Things like Osama Bin Laden on a float. Bet that went down well in his cave. lol.

22. Sorry Scott, but what rubbish. Every single year Mardi Gras trots out the same ‘the crowd was greater this year’. The crowds would be in the tens of millions by now were that so. If anything, it has declined. They’re saying 300,000 this year (and that’s an overstatement if you ask me) – estimates used to run to 3/4 of a million or more. As for the violence being ‘down’ they say that every year too. Even if it was, I don’t think 3 stabbings, 35 arrests, and God knows how much unreported crime is anything to boast about. Mardi Gras is a horrid event, and no that’s not homophobia – it’s the truth. The only thing it’s good for is peddling and reinforcing narrow stereotypes of gay people.

23. you’ve got some kind of warped sick sense of humour mate that only you understand.