Thirty five people were arrested at Sydney Mardi Gras this weekend, which police said was a reduction from 2009.
The world’s biggest gay and lesbian festival kicked off on Saturday with the annual parade and 1,050 police officers were dispatched to control the thousands of revellers.
In the most shocking incident of the night, a man’s throat was slashed in a Kings Cross kebab shop.
The Sydney Daily Telegraph reported that the shop was awash with blood after the assault, although this did not prevent customers continuing to queue for food.
The 25-year-old victim was rushed to hospital holding a towel to his neck and police are seeking a man in his early thirties.
In another incident, a man in his 20s was stabbed in the stomach and another victim was stabbed in a park.
In total, police responded to 140 incidents, down from 499 last year.
Those arrested were charged with a variety of offences including stealing, assaulting police, offensive behaviour and drug possession.
Assistant Commissioner Stuart Smith said that police had made changes to their tactics for better control of troublemarkers this year.
He said in a statement yesterday: “Police, event organisers and key stakeholders, have spent months planning for this year’s parade and I believe that environmental changes to the parade this year contributed to the reduction in incidents.
“Last year we saw far too many young people using Mardi Gras as an excuse to come into the city, get drunk and commit acts of violence or stupidity.
“It was evident again this year that a small minority of young people continued this behaviour, nonetheless, considering the increase in crowd numbers I am pleased that the majority of people came along and enjoyed the parade in the spirit of Mardi Gras.”