Christopher Hitchens had gay liaisons with Tories

1. Simon Murphy 1 Mar 2010, 5:51pm

Names please? Especially if they voted in favour of Section 28 then their hypocrisy needs to be acknowledged.

Although I can probably guess one of them. If we were to have a Question Time the answers might become obvious.

2. Simon Murphy 1 Mar 2010, 5:53pm

I wonder if this will be mentioned on This Week on Thursday. I’d like to hear Michael Portillo’s opinion?

3. Tory AND gay!!??? Shurely shome mishtake!

Such a paradox couldn’t possibly happen in this time/space continuum.

I have heard rumours that in the past people have hidden their sexuality from people at work for fear of reprisals. That’s the price you pay for being a politician and having some chief whip biting your ear off.

4. Chuckster 1 Mar 2010, 6:53pm

SimonM, Portillo was a Cambridge man, and never in Thatcher’s Cabinets, why would his opinion be of interest?

5. We need more people like Christopher Hitchens in politics. I wish he’d return to the UK, permanently. He’s arguably the most progressive British conservative in the country, even though he now resides in America. He doesn’t believe in separate but equal status for gay couples either, unlike the rest of the Tory and Labour parties combined and he’s an ardent proponent of abolishing the monarchy and the equally undemocratic House of Lords. Bring it on, Chris! Come back, we need more people like you to shake things up!

PS: Why did I think Michael Portillo was gay, not that being married and having children has anything to do with it nowadays?

6. andrew flynn 1 Mar 2010, 7:43pm

Love Christopher Hitchens, especially when he’s running rings around religious apologists. I hope everyone has ‘Youtube-ed’ his debate with Stephen Fry against Anne Widdicombe and Bishop Abuja. He takes no prisoners and defends Frys sexuality with a passion!

7. The finest moment from Chritopher Hitchens was on the day after the death of Jerry Falwell, the raving homophobic reverend, in May 2007. he tells it like it is….

‘If you gave falwell an enema, you could bury him in a matchbox’.

8. ‘If you gave falwell an enema, you could bury him in a matchbox’.

Very clever. I like that!

As Dave the PR Man is playing filthy at the moment focussing all his hatred on “Gordon Brown”, as in “five more years of GORDON BROWN”, I think we should employ the above phrase to describe Dave.

‘If you gave Cameron an enema, you could bury him in a matchbox’.

And if you gave every desperative Conservative an enema at this time, you could bury the lot of them in the one matchbox!

9. Yes, I like Christopher Hitchens too. So clever. The youtube.com debate on RC church was really good. Ann Widdecombe was even more ridiculous than normal.

They always said Peter Lilley was a six pound note. Oxbridge but maybe too old for Christopher. And that Eurosceptic tosser who looks like something out of Star Trek. I can remember his name?

10. Mumbo Jumbo 1 Mar 2010, 10:49pm

Dave,

I think you mean well-known Vulcan inpersonator John Redwood.

11. Such a shame it’s not Peter offering up this memoir.

Not that it matters, but Michael Portillo, famously, doesn’t have children. Just wish people would inform themselves before they write drivel, that’s all.

12. hes anti-theist, not atheist – not that it really matters, but just to be a stickler =D

13. That reminds me – every radical or militant should read his book ‘Letters to a Young Contrarian’ – from about 2001. The finest thing he has produced so far.

(and his other fine critique of Mother Teresa, and how she consigned children in her care to death and took money from fraudsters and dictators – ‘The Missionary Position’)

14. This is the problem with ‘closet cases’. They’ll do anything to try and prove to themselves and everyone around them they ain’t gay. That means letting down everyone else who doesn’t feel the need to hide it, just because of their guilty consciouses.

If they do get caught then it’s the “just because I like having sex with men doesn’t mean I’m gay!” crap.

15. Wow. I wonder what his crazy homophobic brother Peter thinks about it??
    I agree with other posters above. A very progressive and impressive Conservative, a bit like Matthew Parris – I am a man of the left giving credit where it’s due here!! Pity he had to use the word ‘relapse’ though.

16. Yes, Riondo, the word “relapse” was most unfortunate, but when you’re a person, like Hitchens, who has decided he wishes to be identified as a hetero then you are going to be tempted to make little linguistic choices which just manage to assure your mates you really DO prefer pussy! So this use of “relapse” was a little touch of cowardice in Christopher, I am afraid. But none of us are perfect.

17. perhaps a list of all thatchers govt members who were at oxford in the 60’s should be in order lol

18. Scott of Sydney 2 Mar 2010, 12:42pm

This is of more than academic or prurient interest. Those that supported Clause 28 and like policies have contributed to the death of people from Hiv/Aids. The Families and Estates of those people would be interested to know who was responsible besides Thatcher. Start with Cabinet of course.
    Without those policies proper education could have been put in place. Who knows we might even have Freddie Mercury still with us.

19. Yes, Mumbo Jumbo, that’s the chocolate chimney sweep I mean.

20. Injun Trouble 2 Mar 2010, 3:48pm

Hurray for C.H.! One more thing to respect him for, imho.

21. The “chocolate chimney-sweep”?!!!! Tut, tut! Use of nasty heterosexual pejorative term to describe homosexuals. Reject.

22. Life – gay life in particular – is not for the faint hearted. I always use the most derogative terms available to describe, for example, RC priests and/or other two-faced six pound notes. These people are the scum of the earth.

All the best.

23. Sounds like he can’t accept the fact he’s bisexual, so describes “relapses” instead.

24. Goodness, I had relations with girls in my youth, doesn’t make me bi. For all those needing to see Hitch as bi, or secretly gay – this is just silly. Who wants to know? He used to share girlfriends with Martin Amis for instance. All we can say is he has made the most of his mammalian sexuality.

I think however too much alcohol has passed through this man’s system since then, so I would be very surprised if he were sexual at all nowadays.

Disappointed he has said nothing on Dont Ask Dont Tell though, after all he has said about supporting the troops

25. John Adams 17 Dec 2010, 2:30pm

I heard a few years ago from a friend who was a contempory of Michale Portillo and Peter Lilley at Cambridge that they had had a ‘relationship’. Both were in Thatcher’s government. Hitchens was an Oxford man so may not have met them on College grounds – but this might not have prevented these as subjects of the relationships that Hitchens refers to in his memoirs.