Welsh rugby star sorry for gay joke

1. The sort of joke millions of gay people would make every day on Twitter and other social sites. I don’t see why it should be a problem or be drawn out of proportion as it has been. It was clearly not malicious. There are clearly some more important issues to get worked up about.

2. Rachel Titley 11 Feb 2010, 5:51pm

Oh for God’s sake, that’s not offensive. Comments like the players’ (yes, I have completely forgotten their names) aid visibility and integrate us into a society which takes the piss out of everyone and everything. Setting ourselves above comments like that just separates us from the prevailing culture.

3. ChutneyBear 11 Feb 2010, 6:00pm

Agree with Zefrog, following on from my comments on the councillor calling us scream team etc. its banter and should be treated as such.

4. wolfeyesmn 11 Feb 2010, 6:03pm

whatever happened to humour???

5. I can see the humour in it but ask yourselves this. If Jonathan Thomas or any other straight player were having a bad training session, why on earth would one want to invoke the fact that referee Nigel Evans is gay, what is the point? Why say it? Just exactly what has that to do with anything? If Evans weren’t gay, this would never have arisen. Don’t be so naive to dismiss it as mere banter even if it comes across as funny. We’re fair game for jokes, slurs especially in sport. Anyone can deny the intention was wrong when challenged and apologies aren’t always sincere.

6. wolfeyes: Ask half the people on here. The man is obviously an out-and-out homophobe, and probably a racist too. It’s jibes like that that started the holocaust.

Come on Abi, theotherone, Chester etc etc. We are waiting for your incessant moaning.

7. Good on the guy for apologising for any percieved offence. I personally don’t see how, taken in context, that could be offensive, but it is nice to see how people in the world of sport are becoming more careful about homophobia. Let’s not have a sense of humour failure over ordinary friendly banter.

8. The words can be the same from the mouth of an out gay person or a homophobe. But the meaning of those words are miles apart.

9. ChutneyBear 11 Feb 2010, 6:37pm

Seems they have crawled back under their stone @RobN lol

10. sorry but that made me laugh. I get those comments with my straight mates at work all the time to which I reply “nah, if it was me you’d be thinking you were having your first period”.

11. ThumperWabbit 11 Feb 2010, 7:08pm

Tatchell is just an over-sensitive queen with zero sense of humor and a closet full of trite outrage quotations for the press.

12. Hehe I think ThumperWabbit and ChutneyBear are interchangable characters – Animals of Farthing Wood anyone? :P

My opinion is: something silly was said, an apology has been made (whether ppl think it was necessary or not) so that puts an end to it.

13. Thomas claims he made the remark on Twitter and didn’t realize that anyone was reading his comments. Seriously? While some have said they weren’t offended, how would they know whether it was a gay slur or not, unless Thomas had been forced to explain his comment? And, that’s the point. How many people read his comments and weren’t offended because they felt it reinforced their own homophobia?

14. Foto ‘Flickr user manuel’………………?
    Que..?

Sh! Not a word to Basil..

Keith.
    SALFORD

15. “Legs and ass are in bits…!”
    Oooooooo!

Never mind all that…!

I am “in bits” over him in t’ piccy.

Wonder if they have any vacancies for a 6’9″ prop forward…as in ‘moi’…?

Errrm…not a reet lot o’ rugby’d be played but..

Such a slut am I…!

Hahaha

Keith.
    SALFORD.

16. RobN does it make you feel more of a man for attacking those with an opinion not in keeping with your own?

17. He has acknowledged that it was impolitic to say this on a public forum and has apologised in gentlemanly fashion, as well as owned Owens as his friend. End of story.

18. You’re quite right Riondo, and if it’s a pity he didn’t think before he twittered, gentlemanliness late is better than not at all.

The real scandal here is the obviously (and deplorably) widespread use, even among footballers, of the horrible American import ass for the perfectly adequate OE arse.

19. Chutney and RobN know about stones to crawl under
    I don’t always moan
    he’s apologised so at least he’s aware

20. Jean-Paul Bentham 12 Feb 2010, 4:46am

Nice try guys, but no cigar.

I agree with Robert (5):

“Don’t be so naive to dismiss it as mere banter even if it comes across as funny. We’re fair game for jokes, slurs especially in sport. Anyone can deny the intention was wrong when challenged and apologies aren’t always sincere.”

And on Twitter to boot. Gives the Welsh a bad name, frankly.

Too bad we can’t get worked up about more important issues, like zefrog said (1). After all, rubby…I mean rugby (just a slur, so, so sorry ppl, apologies to anyone offended, really, let’s put it aside now OK)…is much more exciting than fighting for equal rights for all, or for gay rights as human rights. Yawn.

21. He is a very naughty boy and needs Mr & Mrs Spank to take a short sharp trip to botty land; get in line ……;-)

22. Pathetic. Nigel Owens HIMSELF has said that he is in no way offended by the comments and that he is a good friend of the player now under attack. So why kick up such a stink? Let the media snakes go find sensation somewhere else instead of drumming up drama out of this no-story. People need to get over themselves, relax and lighten up. Why is being offended such a fashionable thing these days?

23. Well, now he knows that Twitter is a public arena in which context isn’t always apparent, and not just something between him and his mates. Lesson learned.

24. As a Gay man I’m embarrassed on behalf of Tatchell who is loosing track of what’s important. He is becoming a bit of a joke always leaping up with the ‘it’s only because I’m Gay!’ comments. There are definately times when discrimination should be addressed but is this one of them?

25. Please can we put P Tatchell back in the closet? IMHO he is doing more to scupper our cause than fight for it. The man is a loose cannon.

IT WAS A JOKE! If we can’t take humour about ourselves we are no better than the rest. So long as that it what it is – humour.

Pete, get off the high horse. These days it seems you would pass comment on the opening of a letter if you thought it would earn you a few sentences in the press. Do you want to help, or just promote yourself? Ask youself that question before you call up the press office next time.

26. What a pathetic story, of course it was a joke. I believe it was taken out of context and trust the likes of P. Tatchell to poke his arura in!

I realise the joke would upset the very sensitive amongst us but I believe gay people like myself don’t easily take offence to such banter are the ones who are truely happy with who we are.

P. Tatchell and the like: only in fairyland (meaning with a wand but take it how you will) would someone believe that 1 person ‘coming out’ would suddenly change everyone else’s opinion.

Get real, stop creating problem and furthermore get a sense of humour.

27. I see no problem with this remark to be honest.

I don’t see any harm done here. This is the kind of stuff that you get in rugby. Remind Mr Thomas he has a small penis.

28. ChutneyBear 12 Feb 2010, 4:11pm

I know all about the stones Chester, the ones I grab after a few pints, I think you find if I tried crawling under one you and your brethern occupy them all… Vast majority hold the same opinion as myself and RobN

29. If they start yelling about a piece of risky banter like this – then it is crying wolf.I have great admiration for Peter Tatchel but he does get it wrong on a lot of things like this.

30. ChutneyBear 12 Feb 2010, 5:48pm

Gendy I think yout struck the middle ground perfectly, Im not saying my attitude is right or that of people like Chester but thats a good point.

31. ChutneyBear: I said exactly the same a while back about “Cry Wolf”.
    If people continually whinge on about such trivial little minutiae, when something really important happens, people will just respond with “Oh dear, there goes Chester mincing on again…” and we will have lost all credibility.

When I was a kid, my Mum told me “Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me.” She was not wrong. I have had more than my fair share of verbal abuse and basically, you just learn to grow a thicker skin and ignore it. Eventually the bullies realise they are wasting their time, get bored and go off to poke sticks at Dobermans or whatever.

This might sound defeatist, but by over-reacting every thime someone steps out of line, (often unintentionally and out of no malice), then all you do is exacerbate the problem and if people know you get upset by it, will do it all the more.

32. Jean-Paul Bentham 12 Feb 2010, 8:33pm

A Welsh rugby player named Gareth Thomas was swerving all over the road and driving really badly, so he got pulled over by a cop.

The cop walked up to his window and asked:

“Sir, why are you driving so recklessly?”

The rugby player said:

“I’m sorry sir, but wherever I go, there’s always a tree in front of me and I can’t seem to get away from it!”

The cop looked at him and said:

“Lad, that’s your air freshener!”

33. darkmoonman 12 Feb 2010, 11:59pm

Come on folks, we need to get over ourselves. I’ve heard much worse from fellow gays about other fellow gays.

34. Pumpkin Pie 13 Feb 2010, 3:34am

How predictable, a thread full of bogeymen.

How many of the above comments were complaining about “us” (nice way to victimise others by pretending you’re part of the gang) taking ourselves too seriously, crying wolf, pushing back gay rights by another millenium, being the reason homophobia exists in the first place, etc., etc.? Quite a lot of them.

How many of the above comments claimed this was offensive? One, maybe two.

Yeah, I think that speaks for itself. Stories like this are a breeding ground for disenfranchised queers (and occasionally undercover straight homophobes, it has happened before) who just want an opportunity to tell us exactly what’s wrong with our dirty little community. How tiresome.

35. Clearly there wasn’t any Real news worthy of reporting!

36. RobN was quite wrong when he said “Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me.”

It hurts me everytime Rob commits treason against the English language and puts an apostrophe in ‘its’ when expressed as the possessive article. :-)

37. …..possessive pronoun, pet…
    K
    x

38. Who you calling possessive?

Nitpicking anal-retentives. ;)

39. Thought Police working double shifts again. Why is it that a total stranger like Peter Tachell thinks he has the right and perception to decide what is acceptable and unacceptable in banter between friends?

Grow up people, let rugby boys be rugby boys for God’s sake