Gay fashion designer Alexander McQueen commits suicide

1. do we know whether this is true or just a rumour?

great shame if it is, i used to meet him occasionally in some clubs

2. It’s true, I’m afraid. many news outlets are reporting it. Shocking and sad news.

3. Omar Kuddus Gay asylum (UK) 11 Feb 2010, 5:38pm

Yes it is.
    But are there not more important issues, though tragic and upsetting this may be , that needs addressing BY the LGBT community.

4. Omar: This is a gay news site. This the man was a gay icon.
    Stop being so f_cking selfish.

5. Sorry Omar Kuddus but one of THE biggest LGBT issues is the suicide rate in the community.

I offer my condolences to his family and friends.

6. This is not an ‘issue’, a talented gay man has died and people want to pay their respects. I find the last post a little disrespectful.

7. Of course I was referring to Omar’s post to avoid any confusion.

8. such sad sad news. i used to work with him and he was the most amazing man. a visionary, who was so brave – i cant believe it. i remember him having a meeting with anna wintour from american vogue and he came back and told me he’d been talking to her about man sex – which was brave – it was so funny. this is so bad. so bad.

9. Paul Halsall 11 Feb 2010, 7:31pm

It’s really hard when your mum dies. Why can’t we just leave it at that.

10. Omar Kuddusgayasylum(uk) 11 Feb 2010, 8:07pm

Please dont gtme wron for “It’s an awful loss, he really did represent the British face of haute couture, and will be missed by many.

” but one of THE biggest LGBT issues is the suicide rate in the community.”

I/we do offer our condolences to his family and friends too.
    But as said ther are therea re more presing issues and we seem to igonor them as an LGBT community. If anyonethought iwasbeing unsempatic or non offencive,please acccept my appologies personally.

11. Omar Kuddusgayasylum(uk) 11 Feb 2010, 8:08pm

Ps Key bord still sticking !!!!!!!!!!!!

12. The Grinch 11 Feb 2010, 8:21pm

Omar shtu the fcku up.

13. LOL@Grinch.
    Omar: I think the most pressing issue in your life at the moment is that you fork out a tenner and buy a new keyboard.

14. Jean-Paul Bentham 11 Feb 2010, 9:05pm

My deepest sympathy to the family and friends of Alexander McQueen, as well as to the families and friends of LGBT’s who have committed suicide in Uganda, Honduras, Malawi, Iraq, Iran, China…oh never mind, let’s just have another pint…oh and let’s all go over and praise McQueen’s extraordinary talent on a neighboring thread…hic.

What would you call the ghost of a door-to-door salesman?
    A dead ringer.

15. Jean-Paul Bentham 11 Feb 2010, 9:23pm

Also, I feel certain that a man with such an incredible sensitivity has left his fortune to gay organizations who promote gay rights as human rights…hic…but don’t quote me on that.

We never know what an investigation will turn up.

16. What a talented man and creative genius, not just a fashion designer; but an artist who painted three dimensionally with textiles using the human body as his canvas.

A tragic loss, but a man whose talent was recognised, admired and revered across the world.

When in the 60s hem lines were raised so that the world was your gynaecologist, in the 80s and 90s McQueen slashed them . . . with echo’s of the great artist Lucio Fontana’s amazing slashed canvas, not to mention the sexual connotations.

It is so sad when heterosexuals accuse us of not understanding heterosexuality.

McQueen was also accused of being a misogynist because of the brutality and bleakness of his work. More enlightened critics and feminists argued that as a gay man, he understood the bondage and shackles that heterosexuals women often have to endure; sexually and emotionally in relation to men.

It is not such a surprise that he should kill himself when is mum died, he really did love women.

17. Jean-Paul Bentham 11 Feb 2010, 10:14pm

What kind of people express their sympathy for the deceased and their contempt for the living…hic…I dunno.

18. I think it’s desperately sad (even if I don’t think fashion designers are great heroes), most of all because it seems like the worst thing to do to one’s mother’s memory: most mothers, I’d guess, would hate the idea that their children wouldn’t survive them long.

19. Jean-Paul Bentham 12 Feb 2010, 5:43am

I’m sorry for anybody who knew him personally.

Suicide by someone who cannot escape a toxic environment is one thing, but and but…

How selfish it is to take one’s own life when one is so successful and loved all over the world? Didn’t he receive the Commander of the British Empire award from QE2?

This may turn out to be something else but suicide…

20. Pink news broke the story before the BBC! Well done, but agree its very sad and a talent has been lost; so young!