Campaign launched to expose ex-gay therapists

1. Brian Burton 10 Feb 2010, 1:33pm

These conversion theripy crap merchants should be Jailed for at least Fraud. We all know that once gay..always gay and loving it!

2. They are quaks! You may as well wave a chicken bone over us and gabble in tongues; you aint gonna change someone’s sexuality and its dangerous to try; this is abuse!

3. they should not be allowed to practice, get them out of the health care system. This is brutality, people should know that you cannot change a persons sexual orientation. This is terrible practice and we all need to stamp out these homophobic people working in care.

4. fandabidozi.

Ex-gay, bah!

5. Put this the other way around….would any of us (gay) be allowed to set up a conversion therapy practice to convert hetrosexuals to homosexuals???? It would make the front page of the Daily Mail quicker than you could say it! There would be national outrage we would even consider thinking of setting up such a practice! It must and should be Banned!!

6. BrazilBoysBlog 10 Feb 2010, 4:18pm

This should be outlawed. There is no way that a single pound of taxpayers money should be used to fund any of this hocus pokus ´treatment´. I would say that gay people who are not happy with who they really are.. is more to do with societies anti gay attitudes. That is what needs ´therapy´.. Heterosexuals with bad attitudes to gay people!

7. Johnnybgood 10 Feb 2010, 4:57pm

Conversion therapy practice to convert hetrosexuals to homosexuals? Well John I could be wrong but I believe it is called drinking alcohol. What’s the difference between a straight man and a bi-sexual? Four cans of strong beer! Do they have any idea how stressful it is to wake up every day and decide, shall I adopt a “gay life-style” today, or ummmm decisions, decisions, some days I could imagine it would be difficult to know which way to turn.I must be a creature of habit I always find myself gay. Ex-Gay = con artists and dangerous religious maniacs.

8. Excellent idea. Ex-gay therapy is religious-inspired brainwashing, preying on the vulnerable. It should be outlawed in the UK asap.

9. ChutneyBear 10 Feb 2010, 5:23pm

Throw the cu*ts in jail, this is a quack practice. Unless they offer gene therapy, being gay is genetic and even at that I wouldnt choose to be straight, I like the way I am thanks very much! Just as a matter of interest how many of you would choose to be straight?

10. Hmmmm interesting question ChutneyBear “how many would choose to be straight” and also comment no 1 Mr Burton “always gay – and loving it” may be there are some folk out there who are not happy about their sexuality or are struggling to come to terms with how they feel. These freudsters are almost definately motivated by religious conviction, oh and, of course, money!!
    Sadly though there will always be those who are ready to exploit the vulnerable.
    I find the very suggestion of gay conversion therapy totally sickening.

11. These ex-gay quacks should be struck off. The doctor’s mandate of “Do No Harm” comes to mind.

12. Does the NHS also fund reorientation therapy for left-handed people? If not, why not? They aren’t “normal” and you have just as good a chance of converting their handed orientation as you do changing sexual orientation.

Which brings up a relevant point. If a left-handed person is bullied, shamed and harassed into unnaturally using his right hand, does that make him right-handed? Does it change his handed orientation in his brain? Of course not. Just as bullying, shaming and harassing a gay person into not having sex with people of the same sex or having sex with, marrying and having children with people of the opposite sex doesn’t make one heterosexual, it just makes one a homosexual acting, often unhealthily, against his nature.

If professionals aren’t allowed to prey on desperate, terminal illness patients with snake oil remedies they shouldn’t be permitted to prey on desperate GLBT people who are unhappy with their sexual orientation DUE to the homophobia that the charletans sell hand in hand with their snake oil cure. It’s a clear case of leaving the fox in charge of protecting the hen house.

13. I have never heard so much bull in my life.

My mother was not over bearing & we have a love-hate relationship – constantly at each other. My father is the sensible of my two parents, who has always supported me through life.

Exemple: go abroad to study. Mother “no” Father “yes” – He & I won. When I told my parents. My mother acted the victim, my father couldn’t care less who I am as long as I am happy.

so can Dr. Nicolosi of the National Association for Research & Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH) explain to me how I am gay if my mother wasn’t overbearing & my father was always there?

Zeke – my argument always. I am left-handed, gay, touch of the red & Irish – I have everything going for me!! :-) Think of the guinea pig, I would be to these people!!!!

The NHS ought to stop funding this lot. Their ideas & with the NHS supporting them, put to Britain to shame when one looks at all that has been achieved for gay rights in the past 15 years.

14. It goes against everything I’m being taught as a trainee psychotherapist. We’ve been specifically taught that it’s one thing to support someone through coming to terms with who they are, and something entirely different to try to make them who we think they ought to be – the first is ethical practice, the second is unethical, actively harmful, morally indefensible, and would definitely get us kicked out of our professional body. We’re supposed to be there to help people determine who they are for themselves in a supportive, therapeutic environment in which distorted thinking is challenged and the client’s welfare is paramount.

I’m willing to bet that the NHS is not knowingly footing the bill, but that the people most likely to be sucked into this scam are the people least likely to make complaints about unethical therapists.

@Johnnybgood: “What’s the difference between a straight man and a bi-sexual? Four cans of strong beer!”

Thanks for that. It’s good to know that we can come into queer space and be respected for who we are.

15. As many people on here keep reiterating, and I have dispensed my four-penny worth on the subject, I don’t personally believe in bisexuality. I think though there is a sliding grey-scale between gay and straight, but people generally fall on one side of the fence or the other, even though they may have doubts as to whether it was the right choice. I think it it is this small number of “50/50 people” that these quacks prey on, and it is probably quite easy to “convert” them. Just as easy would to take a straight person of a similar disposition and “turn them gay”.

There are no hard and fast rules about sexuality, and nobody can really decide except yourself. Advice is always good, but never be coerced into a decision that could affect the rest of your life.

16. It is great to see that our online community are warm and welcoming towards Bisexuals.

17. Johnnybgood 11 Feb 2010, 12:46am

Obviously you missed the entire point of my joke. We are who we are. Beer doesn’t turn you into a bi-sexual what an absurd idea, and that’s the joke, for goodness sake we are all of us much more complicated than that. I was mocking the entire idea of any form of intervention that can change who a person fundamentally is. We have enemies enough outside don’t mistake a friend for a foe. I have nothing against Bi-sexuality be who you are and live and let.

18. Stewart Cowan 11 Feb 2010, 1:36am

Let’s get this straight (no pun intended). Strudwick sought out these councillors and told them he wanted therapy to become heterosexual and that he was a Christian.

If anything has been ‘exposed’ here, it is the underhandedness of Mr Strudiwick. He fooled these people into trying to help him, then he goes and grasses them up.

If 1 in 6 therapists have clients who want unwanted same-sex attraction dealt with, what right does Strudiwick or anyone else have in denying them.

19. jamestoronto 11 Feb 2010, 4:52am

The biggest pile of crap to have been foisted on the gay community – sorry, any community of human beings. These people should all be taken to court at the very least. They are FAKES, FRAUDS & CHARLATANS from the get go. These sick “priest-doctor-voodoo specialist” need to be sent packing soon.

20. BrazilBoysBlog 11 Feb 2010, 5:17am

The whole point, Mr Cowan, is that something that is not an illness cannot be ´cured´. Therefore, those offering such a ´cure´ are quacks and should be exposed.

21. Stewart Cowan 11 Feb 2010, 5:38am

Brazil,

I think we will probably have to agree to disagree there, but, many people seek help for unwanted same-sex desire. Are you saying they aren’t entitled to get the treatment they seek?

If you don’t like what the article describes, what treatment would you prefer these people get?

22. Jean-Paul Bentham 11 Feb 2010, 6:17am

There seems to be two different approaches to ex-gay therapy.

23. Stewart Cowan-
    “…You just don’t want anyone to leave your ‘club’, isn’t that the truth? Come on, you can tell me.”
    Wheras you’re completely objective and have zero partisan bias I suppose?
    Your blog is one of the most homophobic rants on the net, you’re only concern is the dogmatically driven principle that we all become good christians and convert from being evil gays or evil muslims. You don’t even believe there is such a thing as homophobia, so basically you’re wasting your time and ours.

24. Even if gayness were a matter of belonging to a club (a pretty wide-ranging club, if you ask me!), there’s more than a little irony in a professed Christian denouncing it.

There are many people who make fortunes from promoting and selling skin-lightening lotions to people who think themselves too dark-skinned; such lotions are banned in the UK because THEY DON’T WORK. But following Stewart Cowan’s ‘reasoning’ they should be allowed, since deluded or disturbed people want to alter what they can’t.

25. Stewart Cowan – no-one can ‘leave the club’ because sexuality’s not a choice. You can hide it (by choice), you can be forced to hide it (eg in Malawi) or you can feel that you MUST hide it. That last reason comes about because of the attitude of society, which can be viciously or subtly homophobic. The problem isn’t the gay person, it’s the society that makes them feel inferior or even evil for being who they are.

That’s my patient reply above. Here’s my more terse one:- As I keep explaining to you, normal adults aren’t concerned with other people’s sex lives… If they are, it’s THEM that have the problem.

26. “many people seek help for unwanted same-sex desire. ”

- Stewart Cowan

Only to be free from the constant denunciation from bigots like you, because it is people like you that make them ashamed to be who and what nature intended them to be.

27. RobN – you sound like the homophobes
    bisexuality exists as a sexuality

28. Stewart Cowan 11 Feb 2010, 12:24pm

Flapjack – you didn’t even try to answer the question. Straight into ‘attack’ mode as usual.

Rehan – people who want help getting rid of unwanted homosexual desire are “deluded or disturbed” are they?

dtnorth – you just made that up. If someone’s happily married, the last thing they need is thinking they are turning ‘gay’. Would you deny them treatment if they want it?

Chester – bisexuality is a particularly severe form of promiscuity.

29. - Stewart Cowan “Would you deny them treatment if they want it?”

Yes I would deny them it as I would deny someone with cancer requesting me to perform a voodoo dance to treat them.

Go on believing that a walking dead Jewish deity who was his own father although he always existed, commits suicide by cop, although he didn’t really die, in order to give himself permission not to send you to an eternal place of torture that he created for you, but instead to make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh, drink his blood, and telepathically promise him you accept him as your master, so he can cleanse you of an evil force that is present in mankind because a rib-woman and a mud-man were convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

30. “bisexuality is a particularly severe form of promiscuity.”

Uh huh. I really don’t know whether to laugh or cry. Presumably, being straight Stewart, you sleep with every woman you see? No? Well, you must do because you’re heterosexual, see, and you’re attracted to the opposite sex. Makes as much sense as the crap you just wrote there. You really do have problems, don’t you? Have YOU ever spoken to a therapist? That’s not a taunt – I feel you need help with your prejudices and your low self-esteem, which manifests itself by illogical attacks on other people.

31. I can see Stewart Cowan’s reasons here, maybe some people do need counselling, but using God as your reason STINKS. I am sure that there are many people who are unhappy with their homosexuality, and maybe they DO need therapy; They need counselling and understanding on the reasons WHY they are unhappy. You cannot change your sexuality. It’s like someone who is black wanting to be white. You’re stuck with it – (unless you happen to be a very rich pop star) – If you need professional help coming to terms with it, then fine, but you don’t need ‘conversion’ or religious mumbo-jumbo thrown into the equation that just muddies the waters.

Everyone has problems from time to time. Sidestepping or ignoring the issue won’t make them go away. ‘Conversion’ is simply denial, and it might camouflage the issue for a while, but the problem is still there, and the person is still gay. When it does come back – (‘when’, not ‘if’) – it will devastate that person. What these cranks are doing is not only immoral, it is downright cruel.

32. “If someone’s happily married, the last thing they need is thinking they are turning ‘gay’. Would you deny them treatment if they want it?”

Hmmm, have you had experience of that yourself? No-one who’s happily married seeks therapy; no-one can suddenly ‘turn gay’ (again, do you have some personal experience of this??). However, there are a number of people who are gay and married to someone of the opposite sex and very unhappy – for their spouse’s sake aswell as their own – having got married because they felt compelled to/thought it was what they should do/had no-one to help them understand their sexuality. That’s very sad.

33. Stewart Cowan 11 Feb 2010, 1:13pm

Come off it Iris. Bisexuality by definition means promiscuity.

RobN – how do you suggest they get rid of their unwanted desires?

Iris – people ARE going to get treatment.

34. “Bisexuality by definition means promiscuity”

Only in YOUR mind. It means that somebody is attracted to both their own sex and the opposite sex. And that’s all it means. Bisexual people are just as discerning as gay and straight people. Just because they have an attraction to both men and women doesn’t mean they sleep with them all. People – gay, straight and bisexual – CAN be promiscuous, but that has as much to do with their sexuality as the colour of their eyes – ie nothing…

35. Stewart Cowan: “Bisexuality by definition means promiscuity.”
    Absolute CRAP. Sexuality is defined between the ears, not the legs. Just because you have a sexual preference does not mean you necessarily wish to *have* sex.

“How do you suggest they get rid of their unwanted desires?”
    Do what most men do and have a wank. You should know, you sound like a professional.

“People ARE going to get treatment.”
    Yes, by God-botherers that want to impose their religious beliefs upon people that already have psychological problems, simply compounding their situation with guilt complexes.

36. Jean-Paul Bentham 11 Feb 2010, 6:16pm

It’s high time a campaign be launched to expose ex-gay therapists.

Ex-gay therapy pamphlets do find their way to vulnerable high school students and the results are devastating both for the vulnerable teenager and for his/her family.

A case in point, followed by a revealing survey from anyone who cares to care:

Bottom line: anyone who thinks they have a democratic right to ruin people’s lives needs to have his head examined, which is exactly what this article is proposing, innit.

Another case in point: Richard Cohen’s ‘business ventures’ selling ex-gay therapy in Uganda.

37. JP outlines a sad fact about humanity: wherever there is a demand, somebody will pop up out of the woodwork offering a cure.
    When people are desperate, they will clutch at any straw, or easy-fix to alleviate their problem. Some do it out of laziness, some out of desperation, but you will always find someone more than willing to depreciate your bank balance.

38. I think this gay journalist is biased and out of touch with reality. Mr. Strudwick is a weak person, with very little self-esteem, and he is trying to call attention to people who are either misinformed or ignorant. When he says, “Critics say it does not work and can lead to severe mental health problems,” he does not make clear who the critics are. Where are your numbers? We need some statistics to support your arguments. I believe that homosexuality is mental disorder, but for political reasons the psychological associations erased that term from the books because of gay pressure. These gays do not want recognize it; they love to live in fantasy. Why can’t people have the choice to change if they want to? This is a free country. If the homosexual person’s best interest is to stay gay, let the rest choose to change their lives for good if that’s what they want to do.

39. Cecile, Stewart Cowan – In answer to your points I see ex-gay therapy as almost totally analoguous to ex-black therapy.
    Michael Jackson was brought up in a country still adjusting from the legacy of seperate waterfountains, slavery, being told to sit at the back of the bus and the KKK.
    To some extent those things had mostly disappeared by the time he was going through his teens, but the prejudice and the sense that the glass ceiling on black people was still there was still permeating the culture. Even today, many US citizens are uncomfortable that a black guy can be president.
    In that context, he visits the plastic surgeon and amongst the many treatments he gets after an accident which burned his scalp during an accident with a dry ice machine during a Pepsi commercial he’s offered the possibility of turning himself white.
    He takes a course of treatment changing him white over 3 decades, altering his features from ethnic to arian in the process.
    When you saw Michael Jackson, did you see an emotionally healthy well balanced caucasian or a deeply insecure black guy with culturally imposed identity issues selling out his black brothers who held him up as a role model for an overpriced bottle of bleach and a hack job with a scalpel? Would you say “well everyone should be free to go to the plastic surgeon to turn themselves white if being an ethnic minority makes them uncomfortable, I fully endorse it, it’s all about civil liberties”.
    Personally, unlike Groucho Marx, I wouldn’t join a club that wouldn’t have me as a member. Michael Jackson needed therapy, for sure… but becoming white wasn’t it.
    As someone once said, if you have a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

40. Deeside Will 12 Feb 2010, 2:40pm

If some people don’t like being gay, then you can’t stop them from trying to change their orientation. All that you can do is to tell them that “treatments” that claim to change it are fraudulent, like those adverts that used to say “Add inches to your height in weeks!”, and that they’d be better off accepting themselves as they are – but they may not listen. There should be no question of the NHS paying for such quackery.

41. Cecile, love, if you think homosexuality is a disorder, what do you think of people who people who think so voicing their opinions on a gay forum?

But I must thank you for the best pot-kettle-black laugh I’ve had this evening (“this gay journalist is biased and out of touch with reality”).

42. Cecile wrote – “I think this gay journalist is biased and out of touch with reality.”

Johnk’s reply – The reality is that some Christians think they can change a person’s sexual orientation through reparative therapy. . . True Freedom Trust (TFT) exists with a plethora of other organisations to refer people to counsellors across the UK who practice reparative counselling or psychotherapy.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Cecile wrote – Mr. Strudwick is a weak person, with very little self-esteem, and he is trying to call attention to people who are either misinformed or ignorant.

Johnk’s reply – Conducting a character assassination on Mr Strudwick is not an argument, this highlights how you are not prepared to engage in reasoned debate about this issue

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Cecile wrote – When he says, “Critics say it does not work and can lead to severe mental health problems,” he does not make clear who the critics are. Where are your numbers? We need some statistics to support your arguments.

Johnk’s reply – The Royal College of Psychiatrists made a statement based on analysis of peer reviewed research. The RCP stated that there is no evidence that reparative therapy works, and if practiced is likely to lead to an increase in anxiety, depression or even suicide in LGBT people.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Cecile wrote – I believe that homosexuality is mental disorder, but for political reasons the psychological associations erased that term from the books because of gay pressure.

Johnk’s reply – Your beliefs are a life style choice. Psychiatrists and psychologists removed homosexuality as a disorder from DSM –IV and ICD – 10 because based on scientific research they could find no reason to keep referring to homosexuality as a disorder; homosexuals were found to be just as psychological and emotional well based as heterosexuals.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Cecile wrote – These gays do not want recognize it; they love to live in fantasy.

Johnk’s reply – What do gays not recognise? . . . And what is this fantasy that gays like to live in. Cecile you are not being very clear here.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Cecile wrote – Why can’t people have the choice to change if they want to? This is a free country. If the homosexual person’s best interest is to stay gay, let the rest choose to change their lives for good if that’s what they want to do.

Johnk’s reply – Reparative therapy may lead to an increase in anxiety, depression or even suicide. Cecile, why do you insist that homosexuals should have a right to undergo a treatment which may be emotional, or psychologically damaged them; or even kill them.

43. Deeside Will 14 Feb 2010, 8:13pm

Just an additional comment on that last point of Cecile’s that Johnk has commented on, “Why can’t people have the choice to change if they want to?”

We always keep coming back to this, don’t we? Yes, this is a free country, and people have a perfect right to change their sexual orientation if they want to. The question is not whether they have the right but whether they can. If they can’t, then their right to change, however inalienable in theory, is for all practical purposes as meaningless as their right to change the colour of their eyes. Anyone who chooses “reparative therapy” or an “ex-gay” program has the right to know (1) that the likelihood of such “treatment” issuing in a change in orientation is somewhere in the range between tiny and zero, and (2) that this kind of “treatment” has the definite potential for harm. Their right to this information is every bit as important as their theoretical right to “choose to change”.

44. Jean-Paul Bentham 15 Feb 2010, 2:24am

a candidate for reparative therapy should also be given a fair idea of how much the therapy will cost ($$$$$), and how long it will last….before having to be be re-newed or re-born.

45. Jean-Paul Bentham 15 Feb 2010, 5:37am

Cecile:

The Muppet Show was banned from TV in Saudi Arabia because one of its stars was a pig.

And you think that gays love to live in fantasy!

46. #43 – Well said, Deeside Will.