Tory Councillor defends ‘Queen team’ jibe

1. I dunno how homophobia is a joke or acceptable

2. A heterosexual thinks it’s funny so how dare the oh-so-sensitive minorities be offended? Gah, this guy needs a privilege check

Is he going to pull out some racist jokes for a finale?

Frankly I think it’s more offensive to refer to domestic violence victims as the “scream team” than to refer to us as the “queen team” but neither of them are acceptable.

3. Jennifer Hynes 8 Feb 2010, 2:50pm

Homophobic and sexist, possibly even misogynistic. Mind you he IS a Tory…

4. Mihangel apYrs 8 Feb 2010, 3:00pm

what a moron: the intelligent thing to do is to apologise if you’ve offended. Then learn what is not a good thing to say in future and move on.

By being obdurate he’s digging a deeper hole!

5. BrazilBoysBlog 8 Feb 2010, 3:12pm

I agree, to apologise ´if he has offended anyone´ would have been the best way to go. Not saying sorry for the joke, but sorry for any offense caused.

Personally, I say again that I do not find his gay reference to be particularly bad, (though perhaps in poor taste given the nature of the meeting where it was said). What I DO find offensive though, and I struggle to see why others don´t, is referring to victims of domestic violence as the ´scream team´.

The idea that this councilor (regardless of his political persuasion) finds the image of a beaten, screaming woman ´funny´ is incredible.

…and to congratulate himself for ´being so clever´ just makes him really sick.

As I said on the previous article, he´s there to represent his constituents, not to ridicule them. I would suggest that he grows a pair and says sorry.

6. Robert, ex pat Brit 8 Feb 2010, 3:26pm

This is a taste of things to come once they get into power. How would he like it if we started calling his ilk “breeders”? Its a derogatory slur at straights.

7. ChutneyBear 8 Feb 2010, 3:32pm

Oh throw all the rattles out of the prams why dont you. We are a minority yes but we need to have a bit more of a sense of humour about these things, I wish people would learn to laugh at themselves. Bearfeile.com was right ……cue the queen team screaming at me.

8. Context is all, folks. He was not indulging in off-colour jokes in the pub with his mates. He made these gross remarks in a serious political forum. He should apologise or go.

9. ugly homophobe.

10. ChutneyBear – why be the brunt of jokes? why do you think your attitude is the only one and the right one?

11. ChutneyBear 8 Feb 2010, 5:16pm

Chester, I never said my attitude was right but I certainly know its helped me….

12. It’s not an attack ChutneyBear – I honestly don’t get how accepting homophobia is ever helpful

Ok?

13. “helped me”

me me me – sounds like tory talk

14. ChutneyBear 8 Feb 2010, 5:36pm

Chester I know its not an attack mate, I fully understand what you are saying but what Im saying is if we are all slow to take offence the world would be a better place. Its like this campaign to get kids to stop using the word “gay” as an insult , who cares? I have more things in life to worry about…..

15. It was not the throwaway homophobic joke that’s offensive, its the fact he sees domestic violence should ever be a subject for humour.

The fact he has defended the comment shows his inability to have any empathy with the victims of abuse. We can only hope his constituents will show him how they feel in the ballot box.

I think he deserves a good kick in his ballot box :)

16. ChutneyBear 8 Feb 2010, 5:47pm

While we are at it lets ban comedians from telling jokes about it too! Lets put Jimmy Carr in the stocks and hang him! FFS get real….

17. The Halcyon 8 Feb 2010, 6:04pm

A good comedian adjusts his materials to suit his audience.

18. Check out this article in The Times about how the British Tourist Authority and English Tourism Council were promoting the ‘United Queendom of Great Britain':

So where do we draw the line? Is it’s OK for government funded tourist bodies to poke fun at us using the word ‘queen’ but we get upset because a Tory councillor does it? he word still offends loads of gay men.

It’s hardly surprising that some straight people don’t know where they stand?

19. FFS its not the homophobic aspect people are offended with, its the domestic violence aspect.

20. Erm, ‘Chutneybear’, you aren’t by any chance just praising yourself are you ? Only in the comments on this thread you say “Bearfeile.com was right” (no.7 above); whereas in the comments on the http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2010/01/28/students-protest-after-us-campus-newspaper-apologises-for-anti-gay-cartoon/# thread, about a bullying, homophobic cartoon, there’s a comment (no.2) signed “Chutneybear aka Bear Feile”.

Funnily enough, the other thing both comments have in common is your apparent ability to side with the bullies and ‘phobes out there, while being abusive and insulting towards gay people. Odd, that.

21. “bearfeile.com” needs some serious education. This Tory councillor has treated both victims of domestic abuse and gay people derisively. Oh, yes, it so easily passes as “humour” but it’s humour at our expense and anyone who doesn’t see that is a damned fool. Most gay men are certainly NOT “queens”. And the victims of domestic abuse are not to be put down as “screamers”.

Unfortunately some gay men, and gay women, are so shallow and superficial they simply can’t grasp what is offensive in the councillor’s comment.

22. BrazilBoysBlog 8 Feb 2010, 9:39pm

@ ChutneyBear “Its like this campaign to get kids to stop using the word “gay” as an insult , who cares? I have more things in life to worry about….. ”

WHAT???

Well, I´m so happy for you. Tell that to the kids suffering from homophobic abuse in schools today. ´Gay´ should be no more a term of abuse than ´straight´ is. Both are equally valid ways of life. If there is a campaign to end this as a term of abuse, then all power to them I say.

Glad to know that some people are more concerned with others, and the gay youth growing up and going to school today, than with the “more important things to worry about” that concern them..

Does rather smack of ´me, me, me´, or ´I´m alright Jack, fu-k you´.

23. Pumpkin Pie 8 Feb 2010, 10:05pm

What a tosser. As if blatant insults weren’t bad enough, he follows up with letters of congratulation as proof of why it was his moral duty to do what he did and why it would be a crime for him to apologise for offence caused.

Folks, this is the face of populist politics. It’s all about ratings for scumbags like Parker. Doesn’t matter how many people he offends, so long as even more approve of him doing it.

24. gay as an insult hurts kids, teens etc

25. ChutneyBear is so right. I can see Chester’s standpoint, but sometimes one has to take it with a pinch of salt instead of running around with your hands in the air screaming because someone muttered the word “fairy”.

There is a difference between a little light-humoured dig, and a group of men kicking the crap out of a person because of their sexuality. Get some f_cking perspective!

You bunch of po-faced, humourless gits need to lighten up a bit and stop being so damned self-obsessed about being persecuted.

26. I think you should think about the circumstances this was said in RobN. Its not a throw away joke over a cup of coffee after a council meeting, this is comment that’s part of the official business of the council and a matter of public record.

I guess you would except such a joke in prime ministers question time as well RobN?

27. homophobia is homophobia RobN
    homophobia hurts

28. Simon Murphy 9 Feb 2010, 11:28am

I posted a comment yesterday about how this Tory councillor has a face like a runny cheese.

Strangely it seems to have been deleted.

A truthful comment describing an overweight, sweaty, middle-aged, bespectacled, physically unattractive man, who looks like he could go on a strict diet and exercise regime surely doesn’t deserve to be censored.

29. @ Simon Murphy

I thought he looks like Christopher Biggins with Alistair Darlings eyebrows!

30. RobN, who believes ALL gay people are selfish and hopeless, pipes up again at #25. When will he get the point into his brain?????

Actually RobN has demonstrated time and again on these threads, month after month, that he hates himself . . . and that’s why he apparently doesn’t mind being derided as a “homo”.

Only a few days ago RobN proclaimed on these threads that gays can organize absolutely nothing, when in fact most of the world’s greatest massive theatrical productions, from pop right through to opera, are organized and coordinated by extraordinarily talented gay men, and some gay women as well.

Poor RobN appears to be a seething mass of self-hatred.

31. ChutneyBear 9 Feb 2010, 12:33pm

Thanks RobN, I am bearfeile bang on there people. Its the context its said in, people in glasshouses shouldnt throw stones…how many of you lot have said something back biting about a friend or a straight person etc.? Its you lot out there who scream blue murder when someone makes a joke about this that makes me sometimes ashamed of who I am but know what Im standing tall and proud on this one. Homophobia is still going to be out there, gay bashing is still going to be out there, these jokes are still going to be out there….if we take these things as a joke and let them roll of our back people wont be inclined to think of us as screaming fairies. In fact its might make them a little more aware of who we are. Im all in favour of education of people at a young age about gay rights, using humour as a substitute for militant gay activism. The world has changed since the Stonewall riots, we cant cling on to ideals that were valid nearly forty years ago, society is changing and so should we.

At David W – Oh someone made a funny joke about us, burn down the houses of Parliament, this must mean we should ban Little Britian as well, have you seen Daffyd Thomas? Get real

@Eddy – I went to the university of life which I think you’ll find hands out better degrees than any college ever will

RobN doesnt hate himself, in fact he is quite the realist. I am coming across more and more people every day in the gay community who abhor this declare war everytime someone jokes about us. I find my life a whole lot easier being able to laugh at myself, not to the point at putting myself down but I certainly won over a lot more people and gained a lot more friends.

32. ChutneyBear is RobN

33. ChutneyBear 9 Feb 2010, 2:48pm

Oh well done Abi same way your the other twenty odd user names here….if you have to resort to accusing me of being someone else then you have lost your argument. BTW Im posting this from Ireland if you care to check with the admins Im sure they will happily tell you that.

34. ChutneyBear, given that you ‘pretended’ to praise another person when in fact you were praising yourself, I can see where Abi1975 is coming from.

Funny jokes I can laugh at, something which pretends to be a joke which is based on using either a baseball bat or AIDS as a weapon to destroy the brain functions of a gay person…. well, you may not get the hate involved in that, but I can see it. Just as I can see the patronising, insulting nature of an elected politician describing battered women as the ‘scream team’ and using similar words about gay men. I’m also offended by the use of the term ‘screaming fairies’ to insult and abuse gay men – either all gay men or those gay men who you choose to denigrate. Thank god for all those fairies, those strong, out, effeminate gay men who stood their ground when time swere a lot harder than they are now. How sick of one gay man to abuse them for what they are, I really don’t appreciate homophobia from within the gay community.

35. ChutneyBear 9 Feb 2010, 4:47pm

I said aka chutneybear on one of my posts and gave away my identity…oh how terrible ….I owned up didnt I? Course you can see the hate in the remark same way you can see the hate in just about anything you choose to.If you care to read my other post, I acknowledged the Stonewall riots and how things are different now than they were forty years ago. You don’t seem to appreciate the reaility of gay life David and how those “strong out,effeminate gay men” make life tough for the average bloke who happens to think differntly. Those stong out men happen to push it in peoples faces and make society turn in on us, what they did was appreciated but its in with the old and out with the new. I can appreciate your opinion, antiquated and as much as it is insulting to someone who doesnt want to be represented by people like you. What I find a little childish is that you are willing to accept the ideals of a section of the gay community who if they continue going on are just going to give us all a bad name, no one represents me, I represent myself. Screaming fairies is not a reference to how someone acts, its an insult to those who push people past boundaries that are not acceptable. We get told by tw*ts like Irish Robinson we are an abhorrence to society , militant gay activism does the exact same thing. Summing up, whats sick is people like yourself David whom see fit to let militant activists off their leash and make life hell for the rest of us….next time someone ends up in hospital have a long hard look in the mirror, I think you will find your attitude needs readjusting.

36. ChutneyBear 9 Feb 2010, 4:48pm

ends up in hospital due to gay bashing I should say…

37. militant helps actually as nothing would be done if the borders never get pushed plus induilging in multiple ID’s makes you look worse

38. ChutneyBear 9 Feb 2010, 5:16pm

I signed a good few of my posts as bf aka chutney… etc.

Militant did help, it just winds people up now. Look at it this way there is two ways I think of getting people educated

-Sense of humour, we learn to laugh at ourselves more and dont give people ammo as we do pushing it in our faces. I think as a community we are too wound up and too serious,we can take the edge of ourselves lightly by having a sense of humour, not to the point where people dont take us seriously but we have reached saturation point with the current ways of going on, its worked up a different point lets try a different tactic.

-Education, every kid in Ireland and UK gets an education on what it means to be gay, teach them tolerance . The world then gets to be a better place making life easier for everyone.

39. Chester: “homophobia is homophobia RobN homophobia hurts”

Oh shut up, you fat little poof.

40. Pumpkin Pie 9 Feb 2010, 10:22pm

I never got this whole “laughing at ourselves makes people treat us nicer approach”. I remember kids who did that at school. They got bullied even worse! It was brilliant for the bullies – smiling, passive punching bags.

And to highlight the failure in logic of such an idea, if the sole reason for picking on someone is to get a reaction, then why do people like this make gags behind closed doors, in the hope that we won’t find out? Clearly, our reaction wouldn’t have made a difference, seeing as how we weren’t supposed to hear this. Therefore, they’re not doing it to tease us. How we react does not matter. If anything, not being passive cowards will actually help us, seeing as how we’re dealing with people who evidently didn’t even want us to respond.

41. ChutneyBear 10 Feb 2010, 1:14pm

Well its the same way I never got the whole “Lets take to the streets and push gayness in peoples faces, we want to be treated equally but we still want to stay seperate from society attitude”, it baffles me Pumpkin it really does I can empathise. Teasing is nothing compared to a hiding, if this was a councillor who went out and knocked the boll*x out of a member of our community I would stand shoulder to shoulder in condeming the actions but remember the old adage “sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me”. Maybe you were victimised in the playground I dont know but when someone says something like that to me I just take a sip of my pint and smile while thinking of other wonderful things life has to offer….

42. Mihangel apYrs 11 Feb 2010, 10:59am

ChutneyBear
    and the reason why gay kids are disproportionately likely to commit suicide is why, precisely?

Unrelenting, vicious teasing may have something to do with it, maybe?

I can give as good as I get, and am not isolated. A gay kid in the playground is captive and usually unprotected by the adults who should protect. That’s why “gay” jokes need to be challenged when they offer bullies the chance to bully, and help validate their more extreme acts.

“Spastic” as an insult is bounced on, why is “gay” acceptable, especially from some adults?

43. Mihangel apYrs 11 Feb 2010, 11:00am

that should have been “pounced”. Obviously someting distracted me!

44. ChutneyBear 11 Feb 2010, 1:10pm

What kids say in the playground and what happens in the adult world Mihangel are two completley different things mon ami. Bullying of any sort is wrong of course, its dealt with at school level but we are talking about grown adults here whom seem to throw the baby out of the bathwater at the first sign of what is percieved to be homophobia, we slag ourselves as a community dont we? I mean we dress up in silly costumes and dance to Kylie at Pride (dont say we dont cos we do!) so we are in a way making ourselves a target if you want to put it that way for homophobic abuse but if we treat it like we treat floats at a Pride parade life would be a whole lot .easier

45. Mihangel apYrs 11 Feb 2010, 3:49pm

Chutney
    the playground is where many behaviours are set for life, and kids copy grownups.

What this twonkey said is neither here nor there, it was thoughtless and made worse by his inability to appreciate that some were offended; what can be used as “humour” is anything but. As a subculture we do sometimes behave in a way that doesn’t align with that of the straights, and we should be able to deal with the knockers, but that doesn’t give them license to verbally bully us when we’re about our normal business, nor abuse kids because of their real or perceived sexuality. “It’s just a joke” doesn’t excuse it.

46. Pumpkin Pie 12 Feb 2010, 3:21am

Lets take to the streets and push gayness in peoples faces

How and when? I don’t remember that ever happening.

what is this i don’t even

47. Jesus, we have some sick self-hating gay folk amongst us! I bet they wouldn’t dare go to a Stonewall meeting or suchlike and get up and come out with the kind of cr*p they are prepared to sneak onto these threads from the anonymity of their lonely bedrooms!

RobN and Chutney Bear, get out there, join some decent gay groups and meet some decent gay people. You need better quality friends.

48. Eddy, the problem is, its our own gay people who are just as much to blame. There are many apologists for homophobia who post here. They think we have no sense of humour if we can’t laugh at ourselves. That’s not the point. Calling someone a queen, fairy, fudge packer, faggot, queer maybe humourous to them, but they just don’t see the larger picture. Words have consequences, no matter how trivial of risible they may seem at first. Yes, I can see some humour in this instance, but young children growing up hearing those words, usually within their own homes and school playgrounds (learned behaviour) gives them licence to go out and commit a violent crime against a gay man or woman. Verbal abuse can often turn into violence, not just against gays but against everyone. How come gays don’t go around using negative, derogatory slurs against straights I wonder? THere’s much that they do that I find offencive, 24/7, 365… but I don’t resort to heterophobic comments about them as much as I resent many of them. I expect a lot better from a politician who should know better. Indeed a very bad error in judgement. If it were a racial or ethnic slur, there would be public uproar eliciting a public apology. Its seems as if there is a double standard when it comes to gays though, carte blanche to denigrate and dehumanise us to score points.