Pope to include Scotland in UK visit

1. Jean-Paul Bentham 5 Feb 2010, 7:04pm

And why exclude Northern Ireland then?

2. Well at least the English aren’t the only ones that will have suffer the old Nazi!

3. Daniel Wilkes 5 Feb 2010, 7:25pm

“the Pope attacked support for a Scottish euthanasia bill, saying it “strikes at the very heart” of Christianity.”

It would seem like the Head of State of the Vatican City still can’t learn to be diplomatic and keep his nose out of the domestic policy of a country he is soon to pay a state visit to.

Also on the last point about assisted suicide being against Christianity- that surely only gives him authority to order his fellow Catholics not to engage in or condone it?

The Vatican’s position on this was explained well by John Paul II: “Even when not motivated by a selfish refusal to be burdened with the life of someone who is suffering, euthanasia must be called a false mercy, and indeed a disturbing “perversion” of mercy. True “compassion” leads to sharing another’s pain; it does not kill the person whose suffering we cannot bear. Moreover, the act of euthanasia appears all the more perverse if it is carried out by those, like relatives, who are supposed to treat a family member with patience and love, or by those, such as doctors, who by virtue of their specific profession are supposed to care for the sick person even in the most painful terminal stages. – The Gospel of Life, #66 – John Paul II, 199 ”

The problem with that logic is that it suggests that it is anybody but the terminally ill and suffering person who wants the assisted suicide to occur. The system proposed by Margot MacDonald MSP is rigorous enough to prevent people being forced into assisted suicide, and is really only for those people whose suffering causes them to want release.

The other problem with that statement is its sheer callousness. John Paul talks about the “most painful terminal stages” (something he can’t comprehend as he’s never suffered them) with typical Catholic masochistic glee, suffering is good for the eternal soul etc. Well, what about those of us that don’t believe in eternal souls or unnecessary suffering? Why should we be forced to uphold your social mores over our own?

4. Can we send Richard Dawkins to the Vatican city as a cultural exchange visit and invoice the Pope £2O million to cover extravagent costs? Seems only fair.
    Maybe he could sell a Bernini sculpture to cover expenses?
    As for faith schools being a powerful force for social cohesion, pull the other one, it’s got bells on. It’s almost as mad as saying that condoms increase the risk of STDs. Oh wait…

5. theotherone 5 Feb 2010, 9:18pm

i don’t want the old Nazi fvcker here in Edinburgh! He’s be disgusted at the amount of Queers walking the streets anyway.

P1ss off back to Austria you vicious old goat.

6. theotherone 5 Feb 2010, 9:32pm

I can only hope that the vicious old goat has an event in Hollyrood Park as my flat looks onto it and I can open my window and shout abuse at him.

Wait…on second thoughts do I want my street to be filled with bigots.

7. The Spanish armada did not work ordered by a pope. The raising of a mercenary army in Ireland to make a 3rd civil war failed and just resulted in the problems of Northern Ireland. It seems this pope is again looking to interfere with the internal affairs of this country.

Maybe we should lock him in the tower of London.

8. theotherone 5 Feb 2010, 9:50pm

perhaps, abi, we should refuse to p1ss on him when he’s on fire.

9. The Halcyon 5 Feb 2010, 11:20pm

Faith Schools are a “powerful force for social cohesion”? More like indoctrination academies attempting to fill the heads of the young with discredited ideas and bigotry. Plus you can’t get your kids into one unless you’re willing to swallow this crap they’re trying to sell. And I’m not sure if they have no opt out on the anti-homophobia campaign.

10. Quite laughable that he seems to think faith schools are a force for ‘cohesion’. They are incredibly divisive here in Scotland, and I’m sure in the rest of the UK too. A family friend recently got a job teaching at a catholic secondary school, she left the post very quickly because of the crap, indoctrination and prejudice they teach the teenagers there. She was genuinely shocked and that’s saying something considering she’s been a teacher for more than 20 years now.

11. I might turn up to protests against the pope dressed as Queen Elizabeth 1st, I just need a Henry 8th to accompany me :)

12. killZpope 6 Feb 2010, 2:14am

Lets hope so hoddies either stab him or shoot him.

13. killZpope 6 Feb 2010, 2:15am

That was supposed to be “some”.

14. Jean-Paul Bentham 6 Feb 2010, 7:08am

We don’t want to kill anyone, do we?

Let’s ask him to sign this instead:

15. Jean-Paul Bentham 6 Feb 2010, 7:22am

Or we could tell him to pay taxes if he continues to spend more than 10% of his time meddling in politics:

16. David in Indy 6 Feb 2010, 9:04am

Just look at him! He wasn’t even looking into the camera when they took that picture. He’s looking off to the side with a silly smirk on his face. I think he’s probably undressing someone with his eyes – a Swiss Guard more than likely.

I jest. Sort of.

That man is offensive and he makes me sick to my stomach. I hope you all find a way to keep him OUT of your country.

17. I hope he makes an unscheduled stop in the Gorballs and the Glaswegians put his popemobile on bricks.
    “‘Ey Benny, stitch this…”

18. Abi1975: Brilliant idea!

19. What about bringing a pope on a rope to every public appearance?
    (That’s one way to get a “Private audience” with him!)

20. I dare say the Calvinist Wee Frees, who are even barmier than he is, will demonstrate en masse. I hope so. And he can’t possibly think we’re fooled when he says ‘faith schools are a force for social cohesion’. This is an empty gesture to ecumenism and communitarianism in a liberal age. He is a Counter-Reformation militant who thinks CATHOLIC faith schools are necessary to social indoctrination. Urban II and Pius V on wheels (literally). He needs more pressing on whether he expects British Catholics to disobey the law. If he is even equivocal on the matter he should be barred from entering the country.

21. Jen Marcus 6 Feb 2010, 1:20pm

With respect and my apologies , while I am not a citizen of the UK, but for my money, I would seek to bar that relic and his medieval theology and philosophy from my country. His views just engender and inflame hate, violence and oppression in ,and by, some of his religious adherents toward our community. Why should he be given a venue and forum to express those views and leave the people of the UK with the costly “bill,” misery and discord?

22. Strikes me that if it was Fred Phelps coming over to preach gay intolerance, less rights for women and anti abortion/ contraception messages and landing us with a £20 million bill for the priviledge of hearing these pearls of wisdom even the government would tell him to go jump in the lake.
    The only major difference I can see is the Pope has a global congregation and Phelps has a small cult following of 200 inbred nutcases.
    IMO we banned the wrong bigot.

23. George wrote: “A family friend recently got a job teaching at a catholic secondary school, she left the post very quickly because of the crap, indoctrination and prejudice they teach the teenagers there.”

Thanks for this, George. It suggests that things haven’t improved much in Catholic schools in Scotland since the last deluded old fool from the Vatican visited Scotland some 20 (?) years ago. That old fool was clearly aware of and embarrassed by the hysteria of the Catholic school-children who had been herded into the stadium to greet him. The kids, most of them in their teens, post-pubertal, were clearly hysterical: they screamed and waved at him as if he were some extraordinary super-being from outer space – or The Beatles reincarnated! And they wouldn’t stop even when he gestured for them to. George, it sounds like the same pathetic spectacle may be seen again this time.

Abi, what a brilliant idea, your “pope on a rope”! So easy to do, to make a light life-size effigy of the old fool. All it really needs is a big white sheet draped around what looks like a body to look like the papal robes, then a head with a whopping great white papal mitre on it. Even if it looks a bit like a member of the Ku Klux Klan it won’t matter because everyone will know it’s meant to be an effigy of the pope. And then hang it BY THE NECK by rope from the end of a long pole or fishing rod and then just stand there on the pavement as the old goat goes by. The TV cameras and press cameras are bound to pick it up! And what a powerful statement. The message would be clear: the bugger’s only good for hanging. Wouldn’t contravene any laws, would it? Could get you arrested, could it? And it would certainly show the world what we think of “Il Papa”.

I reckon we should arrange to have one of these dead popes dangling from a fishing-rod every 20 metres or so along the Papal route!

Let’s get sewing!

Any other good ideas for the big parade?

Let’s turn the worship of this old goat into a satirical carnival and have the time of our lives! All the polite passive little Catholics all around us will be no threat, that’s for sure.

24. We now have over 16,500 signatures on the Pope Petition and it only started earlier this week!

Email all your friends to sign the petition. Keep up the momentum. Put this message on all the suitable websites you can think of. Let’s get the anti-pope ball ROLLING!

25. Eddy – I’m pretty sure the easiest way to get a likeness for the Ratzinger for effigy purposes is to get a Darth Sidious/ Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars cossie from your local fancy dress supplier and put it on a dummy (much like the Holy See did!)
    I would like to go dressed as Monty Python’s “Spanish Inquisition” myself…. he won’t be expecting that!

26. the.kitty.channel 6 Feb 2010, 7:28pm

I do not see why His Holier-than-thou-ness can’t visit Northern Ireland, where I believe Roman Catholicism may have some adherents. Surely Bishop Pat Buckley would give him the welcome he deserves ( http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2010/02/04/gay-bishop-pat-buckley-to-have-a-civil-partnership/ ).

27. Nice idea, Flapjack, but I think the trouble with those Spanish Inquisition costumes, as in the video, is that people wearing them will just appear to most people as a bunch of adoring cardinals. Even The Sister of Perpetual Indulgence wouldn’t come across as being in objection to the old goat unless they did something noticeable IN ADDITION – like waving placards or something. I suppose if you carried placards saying “The Spanish Inquisition to put Ratzinger on trial!” then that would transmit the right message to cameras and so forth.

28. What’s he coming to UK anyway for. Surely, he should be going to ROI instead.

29. Jean-Paul Bentham 6 Feb 2010, 11:59pm

He’s coming to beatify John Cardianl Newman.

Better there than here; we just ignore him on this side of the pond, a lesson we learned from the way our bishops fail to listen to us:

And the beat goes on…

30. Ahh… the pope’s visits that cost the tax payers the money.

Its the exact same as if I gave some dude $100 to knock me to the ground call me every derogatory homosexual word in the book.

popes visit is money well spent? if your a social masochist then sure! cause I can’t think of no better past time than having someone verbally bash on who I am and then charge me for it. I would love to see some nation finally just close the door on this Jesus-pimp.

31. Jean-Paul Bentham 7 Feb 2010, 4:33am

I can’t believe the UK is even THINKING of welcoming this hate-monger in the country, let alone PAYING for the whole shot.

If he has to something worthwhile to say, Let him visit UGANDA now! Then there’s Puerto Rico…and Honduras….and Kenya.

20 million Pounds! That should be enough to put the guy in orbit for awhile from where he could see god punishing the earth by all kinds of natural catastrophes, e.g. earthquake in Haiti, volcano in Japan…and who knows what’s next!! And all because I have a same-sex partner. Who knew??!

32. James Fitzpatric 7 Feb 2010, 7:57am

England at the least should deny him entrance, or grab him and send him off to the International criminal court in the Hague.

His endlesss hatred of gay people is legendary. I thought that the church wam opposed to cloning people. But it sure creates not just the pope, but scads of clones of old Adolph Hitler and his minister of propaganda Gobbels.

Anyone who believes that Jesus life was a message of God’s love for all God’s creation is risking his future in heaven by giving one penny to this monstrosity.

This is the pope who UNexcommunicated a bishop williamson, who is a Holocasut denier. To bring Williamsons 600,000 mad followers, and their money back into the church.

Which is what one would expect of someone who learned his lessons well while growing up in Nazi germany.

33. Brian Burton 7 Feb 2010, 10:34am

I expect some wiley Scot will kick his oleness in the Gorbles.

34. And when he’s down this way, Brian, I reckon you and I should get out of our shells and go give him another good kicking or two in his “gorbles”! Everybody’s up in arms about this creep coming here, but how many are actually going to get out there and do something about it and put a pox on this unwanted Catholic fiesta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35. Brian Burton 7 Feb 2010, 3:22pm

Pete T. No, I’ll leave it to you dear, I’m past Gorble kicking.

36. Given that most of that £20 million is probably going on his security contingent I don’t fancy anyone’s chances of getting close enough to give him a good kick in the Gorballs, not that he doen’t richly deserve one.

37. #35
    BRIAN BURTON..

Oooo!
    Whoppers!
    That’s not what you told me…!

Ermintrude of Bingham.

38. Maybe he will destroy himself by his own patard – A gay anti-raty satirical carnival is an excellent idea with as much loud music as is legally allowed and with floats and wonderful costumes and all gay – yes – count me in. By the way a huge number of Poles ignore him because of his Nazi background.