Anne Hathaway left Catholicism after brother came out

1. andrew flynn 5 Feb 2010, 6:10pm

Blood is thicker than imaginary friends

2. Jean-Paul Bentham 5 Feb 2010, 7:07pm

Way to go, Anne.

3. She rocks. She has donated a lot of time and money to the Trevor Project, too, which works on suicide prevention for the LGBT community.

4. Har Davids 5 Feb 2010, 9:52pm

This is an example many people should follow. I got out of religion years ago, so it’s up to all those people who can’t be bothered to make this simple move.

5. Hathaway shows the way . . .

An inspiration

6. Eric Whitney 5 Feb 2010, 11:46pm

of the 8 people in my super catholic, churchgoing, altarboy and everything family:
    my father left when he divorced my mother (“nuts to them”)
    my mother left when our pastor made a pass at her (“I’m hoping episcopals are less randy”)
    two of my sisters left because they don’t ordain women (“we’ll be the first ones back when they do”)
    one sister left when she came out (“what’s up with their obsession about sex?”)
    one brother left because he’s too lazy to go to church (“zzzzzzzzz”)
    I left because my church started limiting confession to fifteen minutes (“bless me father for I have sinned, and let me tell you exactly how”)
    and one brother remains (“I hear what you’ve said but none of those things shakes my faith.”
    with a 12.5% customer retention rate, it’s no wonder the pope is hitting the road and making some sales calls with the branch offices.
    ericwhitneyescort.wordpress.com

7. I’d put a bun in that oven, thumper or not.

8. jckfmsincty 6 Feb 2010, 1:53am

The Catholic Church is becoming increasingly irrelevant in this country.

9. All but one post before mine really made me think. As I understand it, Islam will become the largest religion on Earth in twenty years. I think present times are pretty much as good as it’s going to get for LGBTIA people for some time. The Anne Hathaways of the future will probably be beheaded in the name of Allah.

10. Jean-Paul Bentham 6 Feb 2010, 6:22am

Islam carries the seeds of its own destruction.

11. @ Nathan: A lot can change in 20 years. I wouldn’t trust an apparent trend of today to be anywhere near true in 20 years time.

12. “So I’m… nothing [no denomination]. F_ck it, I’m forming. I’m a work in progress.”

Good for you girl. it’s about time people recognised the difference between faith and religion. Believe in what you want, and don’t let corporate bible-bashing, (or any other book), tell you what you should or shouldn’t do.

I’m sure there are many good people with strong beliefs of faith that are twisted by the churches, mosques, synagogues and temples into believing something they don’t actually support.

13. Interesting that this piece of dogsh!te forum would allow me to cut and paste a comment from their editorial because it had swearing in it. There’s a nasty smell of hypocrisy and double standards around here.

14. It’s-all-about-me-cultural-Christian joins the Episcopalian church. So what’s new?

15. Jack Flannigan 6 Feb 2010, 6:21pm

Hold back on the personal attacks. Realize that we have been persecuted for 3,000 years by EVERY major religious faith. Organized religions have been no friend of ours. Celebrate your relationship with your own God, but enough with the preaching and the attacking on a personal level.

16. zachary_9206 6 Feb 2010, 7:12pm

Sorry little Ms. Sunshine, but we ain’t impressed by all that. Given her repertoire, Ms. Hathaway doesn’t need the spotlight anymore then we need dancing shoes, just because someone decides to be queer and live openly doesn’t require consensus to legitimize a sexual preference. Ask Jennifer, she knows.

17. James Fitzpatric 7 Feb 2010, 8:10am

Good for her. In my extended large family (We live in the USA) of 44 people, I keep the count. We still have about 6 who consider themselves catholic. About half of the others are either United Churches of Christ,or the US Episcopalian church – all churhces which support gay marriage.

The rest are a scattering – about 20 are aethists or agnostics, a few belong to the very liberal Universalist Unitarian church, and one practices witchcraft. Which includes sticking pins in voodoo dolls of the pope.

If everyone would do this, the people who demolish buildings would earn a good living for the next decade. Also the people who bury the remains of churches. And I bet that the majority of those sites would become parks. With big signs saying gays and trans people welcome.

A fitting end for the worst monstrosity of the western world.

If you add up the 50 million Muslims murdered during the crusades by the combination of corrupt kings and the church, add the 90000 tortured and murdered by the church during the inquisition for daring to say the pope was wrong, eg the earth was flat belief, Add the millions tortured and burned at the stake for the crime of witchcraft – a competing religion, and add to that the 50 million murdered in WWII because hitler used the churches hatred of the jews (a competing religion to leverage his election in Germany and 50 million died………………………

And they still need someone to hate

18. James Fitzpatric :”Its quite reasonable that the church has been the single biggest murderer in all of western recorded history.”

I think the Muslims are about to overtake them on that one.

19. ChrisP – you are likely to be a culture-and-all-about-me Christian whether you stay where you are or leave, so it’s a pointless accusation to fling at others. You can’t prove that your supernatural beliefs contain any objective truth or are independent of the societies and cultures in which they arose; and religions are more and more obsessed with ‘personal salvation’ the more authoritarian they become.

20. James Fitzpatric: “If everyone would do this”

Well, they’re not doing it! “Pray the gay away” Pentecostalism is booming (globally) and the western liberal churches are dying. The US Episcopalian church will be selling all of it’s property in 20 years time – when 90% of its current membership is dead.

21. Brian Burton 7 Feb 2010, 3:30pm

A great and mighty wonder, a full and blessed cure, the rose has come to blossom which shall for aye endure….!

22. ChrisP – Sure. Lots of people like to be told what to think, sadly.

23. Jean-Paul Bentham 7 Feb 2010, 5:26pm

Does Anne Hathaway’s brother have a name and an email address?

24. Umm we always use Catholics as a standard of Chirstianity. I grew up Eastern Orthodox, and I can tell you it trumphs the BS that is going on in Catholicism. Catholics are just more vocal. Orthodoxy is far more traditional and penetrates the community, most orthodox communities are very ethnic. So once you leave the faith, you leave your friends, family and culutre. I was lucky and retained a few friends and my immediate family is supportive of me being a lesbian.

25. This story indicates why those gay catholics who remain int he catholic church are prime hyprocrites – there are plenty of other tolerant and accepting churches out there is they really must practise Christiainity.

26. I can stand fully with Anne’s decision; her brother is far more important than those Homophobic hypocrits in Rome who , so their Furer (sorry Pope) thinks hold the Moral High Ground!

27. James Fitzpatric- please, if you’re going to attack the church, at least get your medieval facts right. Certainly the Crusades were a horrific, evil, ungodly thing for the Church to do, but there were not even 50 million Muslims in the Holy Land during the end of the early medieval period and the early high medieval period. Also, there were only thousands, if that, who were killed for witchcraft. We have transcripts of most of the trials on record. Now, the Inquisition was actually condemned by Rome– it was a consolidation of power by Ferdinand and Isabella of Spain after the Reconquista. You cannot apply evil done by specific monarchs with religion as a weapon to the entire Christian community. Also, we must be careful of the term “millions” when talking about population of Europe during the Middle Ages- especially after the mid 14th century, the population was rather small (I mean, there were millions, but not hundreds of millions).

Now, all that said, I agree that Christians have done some pretty horrible things throughout the 2,000 years of the Church. However, if we are truly following Christ, we make no claim to be perfect– Christians are just as depraved as all humanity. Christianity is following Christ, not following Christians.

I am an Episcopalian, and the shrinkage of the Episcopal Church saddens me. I am also a medievalist scholar, medieval studies major in college.

28. “I’ve got news for you, Nathan. There are a multitude of Anne Hathaway’s in Islam who are a lot smarter than we think.”

That’s right Bentham. Like the lesbian Muslim activist Irshad Manji.