Obama denounces Ugandan anti-gay law at prayer breakfast

1. Jean-Paul Bentham 4 Feb 2010, 6:47pm

Thank you, Mr. President.

2. Yes, JP, “Well done, Mr. Obama!”

US researchers have proven that the US conservative organization that is known as “The Fellowship” or “The Family” has had a strong and clear hand in bringing about the legislation that is proposed to persecute gays and lesbians in Uganda.

By attending that breakfast and speaking so strongly against the moves in Uganda, Mr. Obama has landed “The Fellowship” a powerful blow.

Whether he has shamed them into taking action to reverse the proposals in Uganda we wait to see.

3. Well done indeed, Mr President – and now what? Actions speak louder than words!

4. Jethro S. Day 5 Feb 2010, 12:17am

Why the hell do is this “The Family” allowed to meddle in politics? I’ve heard that they have a strong part in how the nation runs. I wouldn’t mind nearly as much (though still substantially) if they weren’t so secretive about it.

5. “Members, who are thought to include politicians, business leaders and religious figures, are reportedly asked not to speak about it publicly.”
    There are two rules of Prayer Breakfast…
    1. Don’t talk about Prayer Breakfast
    2. Don’t talk about Prayer Breakfast
    As ever Obama talks the talk but will he walk the walk? Time will tell. It’s depressing but maybe not that shocking that a secret cabal such as that can have such lobbying interest in US politics.

6. David in Indy 5 Feb 2010, 10:38am

Now THAT is change we can believe in, right? But you have a LOOOOONG way to go Mr. President. I voted for your ass. Let’s see what ELSE you’ve got. Many of us are still waiting for the rest of those “changes” you promised us. So far I find myself very unimpressed.

But we’ll soon find out! We’ll soon see, one way or the other, won’t we Mr. President?

7. Instead of just condemning the bill in Uganda, Obama had to use this as an opportunity to reiterate that it is OK to have different views on gay marriage. In other words, his support of separate but equal is OK for American homos. I don’t see this as any different than anything else he’s done. If we want his support on Uganda we gotta agree it’s OK to not be equal at home.

8. Jean-Paul Bentham 5 Feb 2010, 4:22pm

* EQUAL RIGHTS * UGANDA GAY RIGHTS * EQUAL RIGHTS *

9. Omar Kuddus GayAsylum UK 5 Feb 2010, 7:48pm

Why cant our Govenment/Homeoffice/ Minister /Gordan Brown makea similar stand and for once prove to the community that Gay Rights are important to Britain.

10. Jean-Paul Bentham 6 Feb 2010, 1:17am

Brown might be in a better position to speak on the subject once the Equality Bill Has been passed in favor of Equal Rights For All.

11. john sharp 6 Feb 2010, 9:25am

execute gay !

stop religious idiocy now.
    religions are lies and have no truth standing

12. Omar Kuddus Gayasylum UK 6 Feb 2010, 5:52pm

To get the bill changed, modified or amended and the WHOLE BILL ripped into powder and never seen again, will take the soladarity of not just a hand full of countries but an outcry and uproar from the worlds governments, and the gay commuity to express its disgust, at the propsals.
    For Ugandas proposal is just another step in the direction of Iran and other countries that execute homosexuals just for being us.
    I only pray and HOPE that The British Government and in perticular, the Home Office is taking note, and takes it into account for its future decessions regarding GayAsylum seekers from Uganda.

13. Jean-Paul Bentham 7 Feb 2010, 5:23am

If the British Government hasn’t acted by now…you know what that means, eh?

14. Jean-Paul Bentham 7 Feb 2010, 5:07pm

And you dare criticize the way the USA is handling the issue. Typical.

15. Omar Kuddus Gayasylum UK 7 Feb 2010, 5:16pm

Jean-Paul Bentham
    Please I am not criticizing the US but only hope that other countries follow suit and show that discrimination or breaches of human rights will never be tolerted.It is important that Europe and Britain makes its objections heard,if only to encourage others to follow suit.

16. Jean-Paul Bentham 7 Feb 2010, 6:44pm

Omar:
    I would never criticize you, you know that.

I’m talking about the loud-mouths who are brave enough to sh*t on the US after having spent hours in a pub, but who won’t even sign a petition, and certainly not leave a word of encouragement on the GayUganda website.

I’ve been visiting the GayUganda website evry day for the past month, and you know what…nobody from Pink around. And then they comment on here as if they give a fvck about Uganda.

17. Omar Kuddus gayasylum UK 7 Feb 2010, 8:42pm

Thank you Jean Paul.I know you wouldnt and you are so right regarding your last statement and why i am worried that the West is going to allow this bill to be passed.For it is the worst anti gay law in existance and even makes Irans tame in comparasson.
    I havelost youremail details, so ifyoulikeplease resend at Omar.kuddus@yahoo.co.uk as we are experiencing gremlins at our gayasylum site. The number remains the same(asper Gayasylum@Yahoo groups) and if you call on +447902452020 ill get stright back as per norm.
    I am trying toget a link up for the GayUganda website up so people can access it like i did with the Iranian revoltion recently.

18. Omar Kuddus gayasylum UK 7 Feb 2010, 8:43pm

Sorry about keybord gremlins!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. David in Indy 8 Feb 2010, 6:52am

There is nothing wrong with critizing the U.S. I do it all the time. (And many people tell me I should just pack up and leave, when I do it.) Nearly everything about this country is appalling. It doesn’t mean I don’t love it though. I critize it because I care. I think we can do much better. I think there is room for a lot of improvement regarding gay rights, the rights of other minorities, our foreign policies, etc. And some Americans don’t like to hear that.

Having said that, I tried logging onto the GayUnganda website and my computer locked up (I’m on dial-up, but that will change later this month.) I will try again and if I get through I will post a message there.

20. David in Indy 8 Feb 2010, 6:55am