EasyJet offers to pay for Pope’s UK flights

1. I’ve completely missed the ‘pink’ connection with this story.

2. …I guess it must have flown over your head, tsuchan :-)

3. I thought he had a private Zeppelin! I wonder if he will apologise for all the gay people his Nazi chums exterminated?

4. Winston agree with you!!! Perhaps we cold get the Battle of Britain Squadron to “escort” his plane down……….(!)

5. ChutneyBear 3 Feb 2010, 2:43pm

Anything for free advertising Easyjet eh!

6. Brian Burton 3 Feb 2010, 2:44pm

Well, I hope all the thousands of anti-Pope visit Folk will Boycott EasyJet Flights in the future!

7. Just about to book a flight, and sleazyjet were one of the carriers I was considering.

However in light of this cheap publicity stunt, which shows their support for the purveyor of hate, I have decided that they will not be getting my business. I’d rather take a bus.

8. ChutneyBear 3 Feb 2010, 2:54pm

Again the screaming queens comes out en masse, who cares a cheap flight is a cheap flight!

9. Agreed! Not to mention it’s funny

10. I can only hope the Pope is sitting next to a bearded man holding a rucksack on that flight

Theres a joke about the Pope lighting insense and a shoe bomber lighting his shoes on that plane somewhere, i just cant put it together

Boycott Easyjet

11. theotherone 3 Feb 2010, 4:05pm

fir firks sake you humorless old Queens IT’S A JOKE! They’re not supporting the Pope, they’re mocking him.

12. im not old, or humourless, or a screaming queen. just not into people supporting others who want to make my feckin life hell. BOYCOTT EASYJET.

13. theotherone 3 Feb 2010, 4:30pm

but they’re not – read the story, they’re having a laugh, mocking the pope.

They’re not offering support to the church, they’re going for the pink pound.

I quote:

An EasyJet spokesman was keen to stress the offer was not intended to cause offence.

He told PinkNews.co.uk: “It is a tongue in cheek story. Realistically I don’t think the Pope will fly with us.

“It’s very much to highlight the estimated £20 million costs. It isn’t meant to cause offence.

The spokesman added that if the Pope did fly with the airline, he would offer PinkNews.co.uk exclusive interview access.

–it’s a joke, an attempt to get Queers using them more often.

14. Simon Murphy 3 Feb 2010, 5:01pm

This press release is on the Easyjet website – click on Media at the bottom of the page.

Strangely there’s no clarification there of the offer being tongue in cheek or any reference to giving the gay press, interview access to the old Nazi.

PR stunt – offer a free trip to the old Nazi as a PR stunt.

Then call up the gay press to tell them that they are not intending to cause offense. Well obviously they’ve caused some sort of offence if they are already making that clarification.

15. theotherone 3 Feb 2010, 5:11pm

‘Following reports today, and a Downing Street petition, that the Pope’s trip to the UK is expected to cost the Vatican and the UK tax payer in excess of £20million, easyJet, Europe’s leading low-fares airline, has offered to help reduce travel costs and fly the Pope from Rome to the UK and back for free.
    easyJet can offer his holiness a choice of routes from Rome to airports across the UK and a whole new experience of low-fares travel. His holiness will be able to check in online, take advantage of the airline’s generous hand baggage allowance, sit back and enjoy the excellent customer service from our friendly cabin crew. In addition the airline will also include free speedy boarding, to enable his holiness to be amongst the first to board the aircraft and have a choice of seats.
    Usually fares for flights between the UK and Rome start from £ 24.99 one way / £46.65 return, which is substantially cheaper than the Pope’s normal choice of traditional airline, however easyJet is offering to fly the Pope for free on this occasion as we are confident that once he has tried easyJet, his holiness will never look back.
    The airline has today contacted the Holy Press Office in Rome to extend the invitation and is currently awaiting a response.’

—sounds like a joke to me.

16. Simon Murphy 3 Feb 2010, 5:46pm

Easyjet have an advert on the bottom left hand corner of Pink News front page.

I think the press release was a joke also.

Although it’s not especially funny.

The pope is a genocidal nazi (this by the way is not an exaggeration – he was a member of Hitler Youth as a teenager and is currently promoting genocide in Africa with his viciously evil campaign to encourage unsafe sex in Aids ravaged Africa)

I don’t think Easyjet mean any harm, but the pope is a such a cancerously, evil old b@st@rd that the joke is not very funny.

17. Erik L.B.S. 3 Feb 2010, 5:48pm

The idea behind this offer, serious or not, is offensive to me. EasyJet has just lost a customer.

18. ChutneyBear 3 Feb 2010, 5:55pm

And we wonder why we get gay bashed, Im that laid back Im horizontal, the rest of you should be that way too. Are you all going to don your robes and sceptres and roar at him to go back….**** sakes

19. how great that easyjets ad men have a political heart at the centre of their campaign ideas – they did this to point out the cost of the popes visit. what a crock of shite. if they come out with another press release that says they would not allow the bigoted religious leader to fly on their airline, or they are offering to cover the costs of all the people who want to travel to london to protest the popes visit, then I know where they stand on it. until then they mean what they say, which is that they are offering to pay for the popes travel costs. they are not a comedy club, they are an airline.

20. That’s quite a funny story. From comments above however, it appears that irony is lost on some people.

21. chutney, if we were all horizontal like you we’d still be illegal. good job some of us have got guts to stand up to bigots so people like you can have some freedom in their lives.

22. Should make a decent edition of Airport. Can just see him going off at one of the counter staff because he’s missed his flight. Probably blame it on a secularist plot.

23. Jean-Paul Bentham 3 Feb 2010, 6:49pm

Simon Murphy (16):

Agreed 100%.

24. theotherone 3 Feb 2010, 7:52pm

so we can only have jokes if they don’t offend? What a boring world

25. Thats another airline I won’t be flying with anymore.

26. theotherone: “so we can only have jokes if they don’t offend? What a boring world”

What a f_cking hypocrite! Only last week you chastised me for having a gentle dig at two transgender men having a baby.

There’s two things I don’t like about you: Your face.

27. theotherone 4 Feb 2010, 2:10am

you really, really haste me don’t you RobN? What have I ever done to you eh?

28. Jean-Paul Bentham 4 Feb 2010, 3:54am

theotherone:

I like you…! I do.

29. Justin Hafey 4 Feb 2010, 8:11am

Well with any luck the Pope’s plane might crash into Canary Wharf and we can all get ready to mock the next evil incarnate.

30. CutneyBear:

With that attitude, your being horizontal won’t be from being “laid back”, but a homophobe’s fist in the face. For the record, anyone here with a modicum of self-esteem has no need to wonder “why we get gay bashed”. As the old saying goes: “If you think education is expensive, try ignorance”. In the meantime, I’m sure you and the other queer apologists are more than happy to let “the rest of us” pick up the slack whilst taking for granted rights that the rest of us fought tooth-and-nail for.

In other words, have some f***ing respect. There are people on these forums who have doubtless suffered immeasurably as a result of homophobia (directly or indirectly), not so that the next generation could roll around in newly-minted civil rights whilst giving us the finger from the pig pen – but so that gay men and women could live on in dignity, and not the butt of every mindless “joke” that comes to pass.

31. I think we all need to take 10 steps back here, it’s obviously meant tongue firmly in cheek, there’s no way the pope would ever take them up on the offer, the whole thing is very definately an irreverent joke.
    Though if it means the pope gets deep vein thrombosis from having 26 inches of legroom and has to sit in front of a hyperactive screaming child kicking the back of his seat I’m all for it. Maybe they could loose his prada shoes on the luggage carousel too!

32. ChutneyBear 4 Feb 2010, 11:19am

Paolo, I suffered from it too but in all honesty f*ck them, you ruined what was a moderate movement and turned it into an in your face, loud, drag show . Course education is expensive and ignorance is cheaper…seems most of the posters whom scream about Easyjet and threatened not to fly home couldnt afford to get past Primary school. I work with other lads trying to change this perception of militant gay activsm that people like you have jammed down our throats, it only works so far before people start hating us . Im proud of who I am, I stand shoulder to shoulder at marches and pride but I wont have any other gay man creating a hostile atmosphere for us. And Paolo if you want to talk about the previous generation and what they did for us, patronise a class of twelve year olds and see if they’ll throw an education in too. They fought and brought us forward but they also created the divide the exists today to a certain degree. As Carlsberg said, there is always option C.

33. A bit of sideways free publicity for the airline, publicity is, after all, publicity – but 20 million pounds is rather a lot of money to waste.

34. ‘moderate movement’ pardon my ignorance, WHAT IS THAT??? does it put any real pressure on law makers and how effective is it in dealing with bigots? oh and please spare us story of m.l king and n mandela

35. theotherone 5 Feb 2010, 1:29am

perhaps, andy, the moderate agenda is one championed by Heterosexuals posing as Queers?

ONe may never know oh and J.P.:ta much, I think you’re quite nice too.

36. 21stCenturySpirituality 5 Feb 2010, 4:09am

Chutney Bear, Re 18, yes I am going to participate in the protests that are being organised by the National Secular Society to coincide with the Popes visit to the UK and I feel that I have legitimate ethical and spiritual reasons for doing so.I feel that the Pope is a hate preacher using religion as a prop for prejudice and I want to express my opposition to his views. I have already put together some placards to carry. Does this make me one of the militant homosexuals you condemn?

37. Edward Prendergast 23 May 2010, 6:41pm

Shame on EasyJet for supporting this bigot.
    A dividend for shareholders would have been more appreciated.