John McCain says no on repealing ‘successful’ military gay ban

1. Why doesn’t he tell us why, it’s not a good idea? he is happy for LGB people to go and get killed but doesn’t feel they are worthy enough to be able to be who they want openly… And how is the law successful anyway?!

2. Zefrog: Precisely. If I am in a warzone with roadside bombs and bullets whizzing past my ears, I might want to write to my loved one to tell them how I feel.

To paraphrase: “Ask not what I can do for my country, but what the hell my country should offer in return”.

3. If he’s so proud of them, why does he want them to keep getting fired?

4. If someone is helping to protect their country at the risk of their own lifes I think they should be allowed to be open and honest about themselves without these kinds of bigots. It should be duty to be one’s self and allow to be!

Doesn’t this prove hand in hand about the tolerance gay people have in society now compared with 40 years ago. John McCann is old and bigotted and Barack Obama is much more liberal and accepting!

5. I agree and why has no one asked this retard “why?”
    We all know he wouldn’t have an answer and would be shown just to be homophobic.
    Not that America cares

6. McCain is right US Army is so much better than the British, with are queers! :P

7. FunWithGrindr 28 Jan 2010, 1:24pm

I’m with you, zefrog. McCain never states how DADT affects the success and/or failure of the military during this time of war. He states: “I am immensely proud of, and thankful for, every American who wears the uniform of our country, especially at a time of war, and I believe it would be a mistake to repeal the policy.” How is that first part connected to the last? Why is it a “mistake”?

At the time, DADT was a necessary compromise, but now we need to get rid of it. I know many guys in the military — both gay and straight — that feel the same.

8. LOL- I have to agree with everyone else here. The first thought going through my mind when I read this was ‘Ok, McCain, are you going to give us a reason WHY you don’t want gay people in the military, or are you just going to keep saying how the policy is successful and how proud you are of the troops?’

What exactly does he expect gays in the military will be doing- standing up in the foxholes and cooing at the enemy while wearing leather? Give me a damn break. I am so glad I’m not in America. So, so glad.

9. That is why Obama is President, and he is not. :)

10. Thomas, FloriDuh, USA 28 Jan 2010, 1:59pm

Perhaps the voters of Arizona can put McBush out of America’s misery by not re-electing him. He’s also a strong supporter of the “sanctity” of marriage between heterosexuals. That’s right, the adulterer who cheated on his first wife after she had a disfiguring auto accident and then divorced her to marry his mistress thinks that gays shouldn’t marry. Typical American Republiscum hypocrite.

11. Amazing to think that LGBT soldiers are risking their lives for this senile moron to come out with such gibberish.

12. Yeah, how many wars were we fighting in 1993 when you instituted this policy? How many years since 1993 have we not been at war giving you every opportunity to end this shameful policy?

It’s clear that all of the hearts and all of the brains in the McCain family are attached to XX chromosomes. His daughter is a MAJOR gay rights activist and his wife just came out VERY publicly in support of marriage equality. Too bad they can’t rub off on their curmudgeonly old patriarch.

13. Gene Touchet 28 Jan 2010, 2:54pm

The “why,” folks, is that it’s an election year, and McCain is pandering to the right wing of the Republican party primary voters.

14. Yes – such an effective policy that in this age of ‘war on Islamic terror’ they have been kicking fluent Arabic speakers out for being lesbian or gay. Idiots.

15. Pumpkin Pie 28 Jan 2010, 4:23pm

I really, really wish there was a mass “coming out” of all the LGB military personnel. Every single last one. DADT would end instantly, or the country would fall overnight.

Alas, that could never happen. Ignoring the impossibility of organising such a massive event, asking people to put their entire career on the line is a pretty big ask.

16. Mihangel apYrs 28 Jan 2010, 5:08pm

Pumpkin Pie
    what would happen is that the Sec of Defence would invoke a reg allowing them – no, requiring them – to be retained, and then dump them as convenient. It will have nothing to do with “protectiong the troops” everything to pander bigotry tempered by convenience

17. Simon Murphy 28 Jan 2010, 5:35pm

I think National Coming Out Day should be organised in the US Army, whereby gay and lesbian soldiers arrange to come out en masse on the same day.

18. jonnielondon 28 Jan 2010, 6:06pm

Mr. McCain just demonstrates yet again how he doesn’t get it. Unfortunately he is part of that tired and worn american demographic of straight white men over 65 with tired and worn anachronistic attitudes and ideas.

19. Brian Burton 28 Jan 2010, 6:43pm

I thought they had put this old Sod McCain out to Pasture the silly old Fool?

20. I still think gays in the military is a bad idea.
    I mean, “I can’t shoot him! He’s gorgeous!”

*Climb down. It’s a joke.*

21. BrazilBoysBlog 28 Jan 2010, 7:46pm

Who cares what McCain thinks? Thats why America voted OBAMA in as their president.. Just a pity that OBAMA doesnt remember that and start doing something!

22. Again… another politically motivated stance without any common sense. shame his wife wasnt running at the time for president.

23. Jean-Paul Bentham 29 Jan 2010, 4:05pm

Gives us an idea of what Obama is up against… I mean besides The Phelps family, Rick Warren, Scott Lively and Richard Cohen (NARTH).