Trans man is third to carry a child

1. This is not about becoming a man it is about making money. Vile.

2. OrtharRrith 27 Jan 2010, 2:05pm

“This is not about becoming a man it is about making money. Vile”

Funny, and I thought it was about having a child. Most trans-people give up the ability to have children, the fact that this man has, at least for the time being; retained that and is making use of that ability to have a family is not vile. Being Transgender isn’t necissarily about being the oposite gender, transgender is a catch all term that covers all gender varient peoples and that could be how this man has decided he’d like to live.

3. Gay activist Paul Mitchell 27 Jan 2010, 2:09pm

No its not Andrew, transgender people have the same desires to have a child and want the love to nurchure and child into this world (it is not about gender). A little respect is not much to ask for Andrew!!!!

We as a civil society in 2010 must go further than sexual orientation, marriage and gender put together!!!!!

Pregnancy is not about gender anymore!!!!!

4. Gay activist Paul Mitchell 27 Jan 2010, 2:11pm

There are actually 7 genders – NOT 2!!!!!

5. Simon Murphy 27 Jan 2010, 2:13pm

Fair play to them if they want to have a child together.

Shame on them for publicising their decision. Their children are too young to become spokespeople for trans issues (or for any issues for that matter).

Why can’t the parents respect their child’s right to privacy? Especially seeing as their children have already faced bullying? Sounds rather thoughtless and neglectful of the parents.

6. Simon Murphy 27 Jan 2010, 2:17pm

And I do hope this thread does not descend into some ridiculous discussion about the ‘rights’ people have to be a parent.

I detest when ANYONE goes on about their so-called ‘right’ to have a child, as if having a child is like having a car.

Being a parent is NOT a right. It is a responsibility. And I regard this couple as having failed in their responsibility to protect their children by advertising their unusual situations even though they would be FULLY aware of the controversy it will cause.

In other words they are placing their personal situations above their responsibilities as parents. And that is wrong.

7. so a woman becomes a gay man(?) and then decides to have a baby? One thing men can not do is have baby’s and most of us would not want too, Gay or str8; I don’t get it. Its like two lesbians wanting to become gay men…….?! Confuzed.com

8. Pink Oboe Player 27 Jan 2010, 2:23pm

Gay activist Paul Mitchell

“There are actually 7 genders – NOT 2!!!!! ”

Is this as accurate as your claim that the tories were in power in 1978? Why should we believe anything you say when you can’t even get the most basic facts right?

9. Trans people have all the biological desires to reproduce the same as the majority of the population. Be it Trans women storing sperm before hormone therapy or Trans men deciding to use the female parts they still have before taking testosterone.

Its not about a desire to make money at all. If the media catch onto what’s happening with a trans person you can corporate and try and limit the damage or let them print a story you have no control over what’s printed about you. The cost of transition for Scott Moore and his partner will be over $200,000 dollars with most healthcare plans not covering treatment.

I know of trans people in America that travels 400 miles just to see a doctor because those in their own state wont treat them for anything even a cold just because they are trans. In New York a trans woman died because the emergency room doctors refused to treat her just because she was trans.

10. That should be trans person

11. Simon Murphy 27 Jan 2010, 2:30pm

No 9: Abi: you say: “Its not about a desire to make money at all. If the media catch onto what’s happening with a trans person you can corporate and try and limit the damage or let them print a story you have no control over what’s printed about you. ”

There is no evidence to suggest that this couple were about to be ‘outed’. Therefore you cannot say this story is not about a desire to make money (at their children’s expense!)

If they went to the press themselves to sell their story they are behaving reprehensibly. There are other people other than then 2 of them involved.

12. And what’s the difference Simon Murphy between a gay or lesbian couple doing the same or Andrew Pierce in the Daily Mail and Gareth Thomas in the Daily Mail.

Can you not see the hypocrisy and double standard in your words?

13. Hodge Podge 27 Jan 2010, 3:08pm

@Mike
    “so a woman becomes a gay man(?)”
    Yup.
    “and then decides to have a baby?”
    Yup.
    “One thing men can not do is have baby’s”
    This is an unusual man.
    “I don’t get it.”
    I don’t think you want to.

14. Simon Murphy 27 Jan 2010, 3:12pm

Abi – I think gay or lesbian or trans couples are fully entitled to reproduce if they want. However when they use their children to promote their ’cause’ whatever it is then I think they are contemptible.

I remember that gay male couple about 10 years ago who had children with a surrogate mother, selling their tale to the press and I found that to be appalling also. They were putting their ‘right’ to be gay parents above the right to privacy of their child.

Fair enough if you are about to be ‘outed’ by the press there may be justification for telling your side of the story but there’s no evidence of that here.

With regards to Gareth Thomas and Andrew Pierce – I don’t understand your analogy. They are both single, adults who do not have a duty of care to protect a child’s privacy. Gareth Thomas is divorced from his adult ex-wife so he no longer has a responsibility to her. She is old enough to handle her own life.

The children of this trans couple are too young to give an informed consent to having their life story splashed over the papers. So if the parents sold their stories voluntarily then I think they are deeply irresponsible.

15. Gareth Thomas has a ex wife and kids the live with the results of the Daily Mail article.

It seems the oath all doctors swear in America of DO NO HARM does not apply to trans people because or religious objections. For Scott Moore turning up at his local hospital to have his baby is not an option. He may have to travel long distances just to give birth to his child.

These are the issues we should be discussing not if it is right to do the story.

16. theotherone 27 Jan 2010, 3:43pm

Those dirty, freaky Lesbian parents!

Oh wait wrong story, same arguments…

If they want to have a child let them.

17. Christine Rourke 27 Jan 2010, 3:56pm

Can’t quite see what Simon’s point is, on this one.

So what’s the difference between this story appearing in the papers and, say, the usual celebrity pregnancy story?

And as far as the LGBT angle is concerned, if two lesbian partners did this, would there be an outcry that the unborn child is not being protected?

Of oucrse not.

So one is left with the possibility that the objections raised in the LGBT world over this are because some find this particular issue hard to handle, simply because the pregnant spouse is a trans-man, and the other spouse is also male.

All part of life’s rich tapestry, for me… :-)

Good for Scott and Thomas, and the best of luck…

chrissie

18. The DM has reported this and some are supportive
    I thought it was quite touching and I hope the family are happy

19. Simon Murphy 27 Jan 2010, 4:24pm

“Gareth Thomas has a ex wife and kids the live with the results of the Daily Mail article.”

He has an ex-wife. She is an adult. He has no legal or moral responsibility towards her. They are divorced.

“But your focusing on a minor side issue and the real issue of trans people be they pregnant or not are regularly turned away from hospitals and doctors simply because they are trans.”

Strange that you think that the privacy of a child to whom this couple has a legal and moral responsibility to protect is a minor side issue.

And this story is about a pregnant trans man. It is not about whether trans people get turned away for treatment from hospitals. That is a valid stoty and I am opposed to that of course but that is not what this story is about.

“I doubt if many people would suggest that the parents in a celebrity pregnancy story were failing to protect their children, by having that pregnancy revealed in a paper. ”

Well actually I do think that. When Victoria and David Beckham decided that they no longer wanted their children’s pictures in the papers and magazines because of a kidnap plot my immediate reaction was ‘Oh but you were perfectly willing to have them splashed over OK Magazine to promote your own brand. It’s a bit late to start worrying about their safety when you were so willing to compromise it for cash when it suited you.’

Celebrities or others who sell their private lives for cash do not seem to be aware of how they are failing in their responsibilities towards their families.

20. Hang on a minute. Two women that become men that have a baby?
    Are they still lesbians? Or are they gay because they’ve had a sex change? If men can have babies are they still men?

I’m sorry. I think I’m getting a migraine.

21. I’ve just had another thought. If she that became he has a baby, they would need female hormones. So then they would develop breasts so he becomes she again. so if she is married to a he, does that make them straight? or gay? or lesbian?

I think I need to lie down.

22. Ryan Haynes 27 Jan 2010, 5:42pm

What is this trend in F2M having babies? It does make a mockery out of trans-rights and brings greater inequality to LGBT people. If these so called ‘trans’ want a child (as F2M) then they should do what every infertile female or gay man does – find a surrogate, foster or adopt – not decide that they will become a woman again.

These people have absolutely no morals!

23. Pumpkin Pie 27 Jan 2010, 6:59pm

Simon Murphy:
    This is a transman having a baby. He’s not going to stay indoors for his whole pregnancy, so people are going to find out eventually. Sure, he could say he’s getting fat, but if he has a social life, he would definitely have been outed sooner or later. The whole pregnant man angle sells, and once he’d been found out, people would have trampled all over themselves to sell him out to the tabloids.

Thus, he made a wise decision. Damage control, on top of a payout that can go towards helping their family finances (two trans parents in a country that doesn’t fund sex realignment – that family purse has gotta be pretty tight).

Also, this whole thing about other people bullying their kids being their fault is specious. By that logic, gay couples shouldn’t be allowed to adopt at all.

Ryan Haynes:
    Haha, you so crazy!

24. Life is less confusing when we stop with the labels and just regard these folk as two people with whom we have a shared humanity. I just wish them the best in taking on the responsibility of parenthood.

25. Thanks RobN for showing just how unsupportive of trans people gay men are. I was having quite a good day until I read your post and my hart sank at your veiled transphobia its the sort of comment I would expect of Nick Griffin of the BNP.

26. theotherone 27 Jan 2010, 11:20pm

what else do you expect from RobN? He’s an idiot.

27. Oh get a life, the pair of you. Why are LGBT people such a bunch of po-faced stick-in-the-muds?

If you can’t find the mangled sexual identity of these two funny, you really need to get out more.

28. I’m sorry, but if they can carry and bare offspring, they are not a “man”. Until they can produce sperm and inseminate, if desired, they are of the “female” persuasion in my book!

29. Patrick, you can not be gay if you have all the physical equipment to be heterosexual, your just deluded.

I’m just using your own logic dear!

RobN, Be a dear and educate yourself on the difference between sexual identity and gender identity it makes you look rather stupid. It might blow your mind but you might like to know this story is about both the sexual and gender identity of these two remarkable and brave men.

30. I think you have misswed the point Abi

31. I hate how these stories always cause so much controversy, especially so among LGBT people. All I see are two people who are having a child together. They are physically capable of doing it, and they’re doing it. I think some of you guys are only looking for an excuse to bash on transgender people.

32. Abi: Like AndrewQ said, I think you are so far politically up your own arse, you fail to see the simple humour in the situation.

It’s f_ck all to do with labels and addressing transgender people. It’s smiling at the ridiculous scenarios humanity can get itself in. Like someone said, “It’s all part of life’s rich tapestry”.

33. theotherone 28 Jan 2010, 12:59pm

*sigh* Gay people attacking Trannies, what a surprise.

You can only be a ‘man’ if you can make a woman pregnant? Does that make a man with a low sperm count a woman? Fvck1ng idiots.

34. So it OK when its me you are laughing at RobN as your just having a laugh! Remember that the next time you are suffering homophobic abuse they are just having a laugh it’s all part of life’s rich tapestry!

35. Abi & theotherone, just remind yourself that it’s hard for folk to feel compassion for others when they don’t love or nourish themselves. That’s not a gay man thing, it’s just individuals who are self loathing and bitter..

36. At what point did I “attack” anybody? I wish the couple well, but I just find it all a bit bizarre.

You people need a f_cking humour transplant.

37. theotherone 28 Jan 2010, 9:14pm

self loathing and bitter? Why? Because they’re Trannies? Because they’re not playing by your rules?

You make me fvck1ng sick and as to you RobN: you laugh at Transpeople, you insult their Gender and then when you’re called on it you start throwing insults. You, also, make me fvck1ng sick.

38. theotherone, I don’t think Stewart was referring to the couple in the story as ‘self loathing and bitter’ – if you check above he made a supportive comment, and he’s referring to people who fail to feel compassion for the couple in the story as ‘self loathing and bitter’.

Ryan H – “so called ‘trans'”? Ah, because you get to decide if someone else you’ve never met is trans. Your comment was an anti-advert for your radio station. I won’t be going anywhere near it if that’s your attitude towards two people who wish to use the bodies they have to make a child. Your interpretation of gender is shallow and close-minded if you’re adamant that person-having-a-baby=woman, despite their own gender identity or presentation.

39. Simon Murphy 28 Jan 2010, 11:13pm

No 23: Pumpkin Pie: you say:

“This is a transman having a baby. He’s not going to stay indoors for his whole pregnancy, so people are going to find out eventually. ”

Well of course. I’m not suggesting he hide away. He should live his life as normal.

But going to the press to publicise their story is a whole different matter.

They’ve appeared in the press announcing their plans. Why?

Well because they want to promote their cause. Fair enough. But their child hasn’t consented to that exposure.

I find celebrities or wannabe celebrities who used their children for self promotion to be vile – be they Jordan or whoever.

40. theotherone 28 Jan 2010, 11:48pm

I offer my apologies for flying off the handle

41. Thanks for clarifying my intent eleanargh. I was indeed attempting to show support.

42. theotherone 29 Jan 2010, 4:25pm

and I apologies for what I said.