Mainstream holiday operator to cater for gay couples

1. The Grinch 19 Jan 2010, 5:47pm

The accompanying photo makes this look right up my straza – the sort of place where the menus come with photos so you can just point, where they serve lager in goldfish bowls with those fancy umbrella things and the wait staff give you the side eye and finger if you step out of line and ask for another slice of lemon with your prawn cocktail. Count me in!

2. “Civil partnerships” in Ibiza? I think you’ll probably find that they are the genuine article, a wedding, a marriage – whatever the half baked made up name is that they are saddled with over here!

3. Will your marriage be legally recognised though?
    And will it be legally recognised back home?
    It may be these reasons why they stated “ceremony” rather than marriage

Sorry to pick over things though, it is a brilliant idea =]

4. Simon Murphy 20 Jan 2010, 11:38am

Good idea – just so long as Thomson’s don’t add the 25% Gay Surcharge that specifically gay holiday companies seem to think is appropriate.

5. So why no promote gay holidays on the Thomson homepage? With this being such a new venture you would assume they would want to actively promote?! I can’t help but be cynical and think they’re playing it safe to avoid upsetting the mainsteam? The only way you can access these holidays is through the search function!!

6. Simon Murphy 20 Jan 2010, 3:04pm

The destinations being offered by Thomsons are already very gay friendly so I don’t really see the point of this idea.

I doubt very much that a hotel in Sitges or Mykonos or Ibiza would find same sex couples unusual in their venues and they will already be well used to dealing with gay guests.

7. Stephen. W 20 Jan 2010, 8:53pm

This has to be, a welcome development. I agree with the other commentator that gay travel companies with impunity seem to slap on around 30% for bi/gay lesbian travelers. If main stream operators such as Thomsons can now provide a similar and equal service, the pink-pound collectors will have second thoughts about such an unwelcome practice.

8. I knew tour operators were having a tough time, but I didn’t think it had got this bad!

9. Strech limos and fire-eaters?! Enough said!!

10. Kevin Scott 22 Jan 2010, 4:59pm

Hi,

I’m Kevin Scott General Manager at Amro Worldwide – the gay and lesbian travel specialists.

I’m really surprised to see the publicity given to Gay Comfort accreditation by Thomson Holidays as part of their launch into the gay travel market.

Amro Worldwide have been part of Gay Comfort since its launch and happily highlights those properties and resorts that have received the Gay Comfort training. So really are Thomson Holidays adding anything to what we, a gay travel specialist, have already been doing.

We’re also a bit worried that many of the resorts and properties that both Amro and Thomson sell know nothing about the Gay Comfort programme. So just contact us and we’ll be pleased to clarify which properties have been trained and which are not.

Enjoy your holidays.

11. BouncerMan in Black 22 Jan 2010, 8:01pm

So… will Kevin Scott (General Manager at Amro Worldwide – the gay and lesbian travel specialists) now price match or undercut any holiday similar to that promoted by Thomson Holidays?

And as for the Fire Eaters… well, just how very chav; I want one for breakfast evey day!

12. Kevin Scott 25 Jan 2010, 1:01pm

Yes – Amro Worldwide offers a price match guarantee against any travel company, not just Thomson, and has done so for the past 8 years.

13. Just been into a Thompson Branch and the staff know absolutely nothing about this. Mmmmm?

14. Ben Frankling 19 Feb 2010, 9:34am

Mantrav International, do not feel a price match is necessary to sell holidays, our prices are the lowest for the value ( remember you only get what you pay for)AMRO Holidays have just entered the Gran Canaria market and have no experience or knowledge of the Island and resorts, Mantrav has 7 years experience in Gran Canaria, and all our properties are truly tried and trusted. There appears to be a feeling that gay companies add 25% surcharge, and that gay resorts are more expensive, we do not believe this to be true, for example a 30 bungalow resort costs more to operate than a 120 unit apartment. Thompson/TUI sold gay travel 5 years ago and it did not work.

15. Ben Frankling 19 Feb 2010, 3:23pm

The above coments on gay operators being more expenise, prompted me to check some rates, I found Thompsons new company to be £67,00 more expensive that Mantrav and £68,00 more expensive with another UK gay operator to the same resort, same date and same flight. I checked a second destination, same hotel same flight and same date,they were £48 more expensive than Mantrav and £43 more expensive with the other UK operator. the two gay operators.

16. John Messer 19 Feb 2010, 3:29pm

I have booked with the mainstream operators and gay travel companies for years, I do not think in any way gay operators sure charge anyone, they are not expensive.