Gay romance expected for Glee

1. My gawd, I just LOVE this show!! I can’t watch it enough. I love Kurt’s character and consider the episode where he comes out to his dad one of the best coming out scenes on tv! Why?? Because Kurt is so real and genuine and his father is so real and genuine. It is beautiful to watch and always leaves me with a huge lump in my throat. I am so thrilled that FINALLY tv is going to portray a young gay teen’s love romance in such a positive light! Kudos to the producers of Glee!!

2. Of course, this is a good thing, I think it’s just a shame for a show like Glee to choose to portray its gay character’s as such blatant stereotypes.

3. Denis Nzioka 19 Jan 2010, 4:14pm

OMG! Well, well, well! This is good news. I have watched the series and and it is GOOOOOOOD! Every gay guy loves Kurt! And him finding love is one of the things I am looking forward to. Waaao, just wish it was me Kurt was dating. Anyone know where they are holding the auditions?

4. Darren, it’s a show about an all-singing, all-dancing high school show choir. Of course the gay characters are going to be stereotypical!

Kurt is actually a bit of a breakaway from the usual gay character portrayed in teen-based dramas – often the liberal sensibilities of the writers results in them producing a rather dull, beige inoffensive gay character (case in point, Jack from Dawson’s Creek). Perhaps there were young gay teenagers who did identify with that but there’s no reason why there aren’t young gay men who identify with Kurt – I know I would have as a gay teenager!

I also expect most teen gay characters to be stereotypical because most gay teenagers ARE stereotypical. Gay and lesbian people are a lot more visible nowadays and often young gay people use these visible images to try and develop their own identities. A lot of teenagers do this – it’s why teenagers have so many identity cliques and groups.

Anyway, rant over.

5. Tim Hopkins 19 Jan 2010, 5:32pm

I must admit to being a bit disappointed by the pilot and episode 1, after all the hype, partly because the Kurt character stayed very much in the background except when he was being dumped in the bin. It sounds from other comments that he has more profile in later episodes though.

As for stereotypical, I do agree that swishyness should not be edited out. Otherwise we would never have had the excellent Beautiful People! But it’s important to have the Eric in Gossip Girl types portrayed as well.

6. Tim Hopkins 19 Jan 2010, 5:59pm

.. and of course the fairly diverse lesbian and gay characters in Shameless and Skins. Diverse representations is the important thing, I think, so that there are lots of types to identify with.

7. Usually when gay men are portrayed in a stereotypical way as very camp they are usually cast as the “best friend” to a girl or the perennial joker – never in a way that alludes to them actually having a sex life or being romantic. So good to see that Glee is developing this character into one with a love life.

8. I loved it!!!

Sad but true!!! can’t wait for episode 2. Only watched it because my daughter had it recommended to her by her gay boy friend, both 17. Hope my gay son (at uni) watched it. Any program that includes homosexual themes and storylines are a good thing in my opinion.

9. it is all what you said – I would have loved to have this show as a kid – camp or not !!!
    Love all the issues well covered !!!
    MORE GLEE PLEASE

10. EPICCCC!!!! Cannot wait!

11. Tim Hopkins 20 Jan 2010, 10:08am

Having now seen a preview of episode 4, I’m no longer disappointed. A similar storyline to one of the best episodes of Beautiful People – where Simon turns out to be really good at football.

12. Jessica Geen 20 Jan 2010, 11:55am

I’ve watched ten in the last week (goodbye social life) and can guarantee it is amazing. Unfortunately I accidentally read spoilers while writing this. Gutted.

13. BrazilBoysBlog 20 Jan 2010, 6:29pm

I´m in Brazil of course, so I haven´t seen any of this yet :-( Going to see if I can watch any of it online somewhere though.. Anyone know where?

14. More naff stereotypes. ’nuff said.