Iris Robinson receiving psychiatric treatment after accusations of two more affairs

1. Enema of the State 11 Jan 2010, 11:29am

This just keeps getting godlier and godlier doesn’t it!

2. Simon Murphy 11 Jan 2010, 11:35am

Iris Robinson is one of the few people qualified to comment on the statement ‘Like Father Like Son’

I wonder which was her favourite McCambley pork sausage.

And another affair in 1986 (3 years before her teenage lover was even born). I wonder if she uses ‘mental illness’ as an excuse for her sinful, adulterous behaviour over a period of a quarter century.

3. I am usually always sympathetic to people suffering mental health problems, but what gets me about this is that Ms Robinson seems, in my opinion, to only be suffering these acute problems now when all this business has been made public – ie her hypocrisy and unchristian lifestyle has been revealed. You’d think that someone who felt guilty would feel distressed at the time because of the harm done to others.

Obviously, it’s hard for people to face public condemnation, but if it’s fair comment then it can be perceived as cowardly for the person involved to dodge answers.

I’m sorry for my cynicism but I personally don’t believe she’s suffering ‘acute psychiatric problems’.

4. “Doctor-Doctor, I have been experiencing severe bouts of rank hypocrisy”

5. Mumbo Jumbo 11 Jan 2010, 12:01pm

More on Panorama tonight BBC1 at 20.30.

It just keeps giving.

6. More and more like an old fashioned gay narrative; what she wants and what she’s supposed to want have utterly parted company – now she’s ‘mentally ill’.

The other way it’s very ‘old gay’ is that presumably when her ex-lover Billy the Butcher died, she would’ve felt grief that she wasn’t allowed to let anyone suspect. And just look how it manifested itself ;-)

God this is fascinating – I wonder what’s coming next? Ian Paisley secret drag queen?

7. John(Derbyshire) 11 Jan 2010, 12:02pm

Well-she did state that we could be “cured” of our “affliction” with psychiatric treatment.So maybe she thinks that whenever anyone digresses from the biblical ideal- they can be sorted out by a bit of psychoanalysis. And this applies to herself as much as to anyone else?

8. Patrick James 11 Jan 2010, 12:11pm

Iris writes

I have a lot of doubt about her condition. Her original statement that she was suffering from depression arrived just as the scandal was going public. I think her depression came on perhaps as a form of defence in an attempt to duck the flak that she knew was coming.

I grew up in Northern Ireland but left before Iris Robinson got her seat in the devolved administration there. I remember Peter Robinson very well and he is someone I loathed very much. Personally I would not trust anything he had to say. I don’t really know anything about his wife though.

Peter Robinson is now trying to appeal to sympathy from the public to keep his position. However Peter Robinson in his life has never shown anything but absolute contempt for people who are not leading a life according to the strictures of his own Free Presbyterian Church.

My hope is that these events will start the beginning of the end of the Free Presbyterian Church’s excessive role in Northern Ireland politics. I will mention that this is actually a very small church with a great deal of power in the Northern Ireland devolved administration. The vast majority of Northern Irish people are not members of this weird, nutty and nasty church.

9. Patrick (8): I hope your hope comes true, but I fear it’s misplaced. :-(

10. Simon Murphy 11 Jan 2010, 12:17pm

It is extra-ordinarily convenient that Iris Robinson is ‘too unwell’ to answer questions about her financial misdeeds (her inahility to honour her marriage vows are a matter for her and her ‘god’ and we all know her ‘god’ demands that she be stoned to death)

11. Mumbo Jumbo 11 Jan 2010, 12:21pm

The BBC have just opened a “Have Your Say” forum on this:

Get stuck in. It would be rude not to.

As an aside, I see they are not asking if Iris Robinson should face execution.

12. I wonder what the psychiatric diagnosis of her will be…”sociopathic” perhaps? She doesn’t seem to like very many people after all and goes out of her way to be cruel to them, then comes her whole evangelical nonsense, possibly so she can live with herself.

“Sociopath:

a person, as a psychopathic personality, whose behaviour is antisocial and who lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience.”

Sounds like Iris to me!

13. If you live by irrational and legalistic censure, you are running the risk of dying by it, and it looks like Iris and hubby are positively galloping towards the axeman’s block. They have a bigoted and unforgiving constituency (Iris’ revolting public homophobia was at least in part a calculated appeal to her political base) which will bay for their blood. It breaks your heart, really.

14. Sister Mary clarence 11 Jan 2010, 1:37pm

It hasn’t broken mine

15. BrazilBoysBlog 11 Jan 2010, 1:41pm

Well, more and more comes out about this loathsome woman.

May she rot in hell for the (genuine) pain and anguish she has caused many gay people with her avuse of her position, (not least vulnerable gay teenagers).

I hope this cruel, uncaring schemeing crook of a politician rots in the hell of her own making!

16. @ Mumbo Jumbo: More on tonight’s Panorama? Well I’ll make sure to buy some more popcorn for the entertainment then, lol. Who needs the cinema when this is on the telly.

17. I don’t think it’s cynical to see the claims of mental illness now being made as self-serving and strategic. Surely if the woman was so distressed that she contemplated suicide she’d have retired then – 10 months ago – wouldn’t she?

No, instead it seems the most calculated of moves from an egregiously corrupt and hypocritical crook, and one who evidently considers herself above the laws she so stridently recommends for others.

(Great entertainment, though!)

18. Isn’t she dead yet?

Il bet that psychiatric treatment she’s getting is from that quack she thinks can cure homosexuality
    So with any luck it won’t work and she’ll stay depressed or kill herself =]

19. As usual, the homophobic has always something wrong/weird/bad/whatever to keep secret…still, it all eventually come out…

20. Its all quite UNBELIEVABLE, i’m not surprised she’s depressed but its all too convenient, come on Iris Robinson get up and “face the music”, there are questions that need answers, you can’t hide forever.
    I shall definately be watching Panorama this evening, its great entertainment.

21. The DUP seem to have overlooked this story: http://www.dup.org.uk/default.htm

Strange that, eh?

Iris’s statement about her mental state needs to be taken with a slab of salt. The woman has been lying so long she’s got bedsores. She’s lower than a worm’s tit and I wouldn’t trust her if she told me it was raining outside, I’d be compelled to go and check for myself.

It looks like she and her husband have been trying desperately to keep this whole mess hidden, whilst grabbing the public money they get paid for supposedly being role models and bastions of decency and honesty. Unfortunately for them, being such bigots tends to mean that when you act hypocritically others are far less likely to overlook it and far more likely to try and find out just what lying, cheating a-holes they really are.

They both need to go and go now and the Police need to investigate whether any public money needs paying back or if crimes have been committed

22. The Gay Girls Guide 11 Jan 2010, 4:27pm

Peter Robinson is to step aside with immediate effect (temporarily) and Arlene Foster will step in to the role of First Minister

23. The Gay Girls Guide 11 Jan 2010, 4:31pm

He’ll not be back, no matter how many times they say ‘temporarily’

24. Jean-Paul Bentham 11 Jan 2010, 4:31pm

A bit of reparative therapy should do the trick to get her back on the straight and narrow.

Acute psychiatric counseling costs a lot of money. Surely Kirk will come to the rescue to his damsel in distress.

25. The Gay Girls Guide 11 Jan 2010, 4:34pm

Funny how they all need the time away not when they found out about the affair but when the public did….it’s an absolute farce

26. Simon Murphy 11 Jan 2010, 4:35pm

Arlene Foster’s email address is as follows:

arlene.foster.co@niassembly.gov.uk

27. The Gay Girls Guide 11 Jan 2010, 4:36pm

If Arlene Foster isn’t gay then neither am I….

28. She did not secure loans but got the money donated from two business men as she claimed it was going to be used for good causes

29. “Ian Paisley secret drag queen?” Oh, pleasepleaseplease…

30. Let us only hope that this wretched woman, lost soul that she is, can be cured of her foul perversions, and that she will cease to be a sexual predator luring the young into her loathsome practices.

31. Have you seen what someone has done to her Church ? http://petursey.wordpress.com/2010/01/11/i-said-this-story-would-run/

it made my day to see this….and all thats happened to Iris she deserves and more. I don’t believe for a minute in the psychological distress and acute treatment story..the woman is suffering from shame, embarrassment and an overdose of acutehypocriticitis.. at the moment we the taxpayer are paying this evil witch 280 quid a day while she does nothing…plus her expenses and sons and daughter in law’s salaries. Sack the lot of them and prosecute them for their wrongdoings.

32. Robert, ex pat Brit 11 Jan 2010, 7:21pm

Good riddance to two pieces of white trash, Robinson and her equally hypocritical husband. Revenge is sweet indeed. All that pontificating about religion and how perverse we are has all caught up with her. Long may she suffer, in fact, both of them together. I’ve been sending bad Karma to these two for months and now its paid off. I have others on my karma list in addition.

33. Kate

If I wake up with a nightmare tonight about Ian Paisley as a drag queen I shall blame you you naughty girl !!!

34. Bishop Ioan 11 Jan 2010, 7:32pm

No sympathy here. And I have noticed how all this “mental illness” stuff surfaced just as the excrement began to strike the whirling blades.

I do think she is a sociopath and so far as I know, there is no cure. I vote for permanent committal or incarceration.

35. I am usually a great believer in live + let live + do not judge anyone as none of us know what the future holds for us but in this case I have to make an exception considering how this hard faced, cold woman spoke out against the Gay community, condemning them + comparing them to paedophiles – the dictionary definition of paedophile is “PERSON WHO IS SEXUALLY ATTRACTED TO CHILDREN!!!” so considering that Kirk was 19 + Iris was 59 when she had a sexual relationship with him i’d say she’s the paedophile!!! She’s a vile woman + complete hypocrite who quoted the bible to condemn Gay people with utter contempt when at that time she was an adultering, child molester!! How dare she!! Only when she realised that her dirty secret was about to be made public did she + Peter decide to make public statements, Peter’s emotional interview was a pathetic attempt at damage limitation, he was so transparent, it was obvious something BIG was about to hit the headlines. I have no sympathy for them. If Iris was so mentally ill how was she ever a politician? Her behaviour shows she’s a very clever + cunning woman so stop hiding behind your psychiatrist Iris + face the public!! Shame on you!!

36. I’m almost disappointed that the homophobic trolls that sometimes pop up here (Simon Cowen et al) haven’t popped in to say their usual ignorant tuppence. Maybe because, like a playground bully, they don’t pick an argument with someone the same size as themselves, after all, they’d be ripped a new one on this thread I reckon if they tried to defend people like Iris, as they’ve tried to do in the past when she was supposedly squeaky-clean.

37. Simon Murphy 11 Jan 2010, 10:05pm

Here’s The Daily Mash’s take on the story: :D

AT LEAST SHE’S NOT GAY, SAYS ROBINSON
    11-01-10
    NORTHERN Ireland’s first minister last night thanked God that his corrupt, adulterous wife was not a lesbian whore.

DUP Leader Peter Robinson said Jesus was watching over him when his wife Iris sought sexual gratification from a teenager instead of some lumbering, crew-cut dyke in league with Beelzebub.

Mr Robinson said: “It was my wife’s unshakeable faith that drove her into the groin of a smooth-skinned boy when she could so easily have found herself writhing around a hotel bedroom with a dirty nun who’s only loyalty is to Rome, and vaginas.

“And when she was procuring the £50,000 I can take comfort from the fact that it was for a decent, Christian coffee shop instead of a KD Lang box-set and a selection of state of the art, battery-powered strap-ons.”

Mr Robinson has vowed to continue as first minister despite calls for him to make way for another swivel-eyed lunatic who thinks the Pope is really a 12-horned demi-Satan called Zablamesh.

A senior DUP source said: “This is a crucial moment in devolution. If we falter now then the streets of Ulster will be filled with the rutting hordes of Popery and he who is Zablamesh will hold dominion over the police and fire brigade.

“It would be best if Peter steps down so he can focus on both his family and his collection of marriage certificates of all the animals on Noah’s ark.”

Meanwhile Kirk McCambley, Mrs Robinson’s teenage non-lesbian lover, has been spotted driving around Belfast in an open-topped Alfa Romeo, listening to Scarborough Fair at full blast and banging very loudly on shop windows with the palms of his hands.

38. “Acute psychiatric treatment”?
    Is this the same snake-oil merchant that thinks he can cure homosexuality? She’s got no hope.

“Iris, it is a figment of your imagination, you have to WANT to change though. You aren’t really a hypocritical old slapper that drops her knickers to any passing teenager. You are a holier-than-thou, God-fearing woman”

*The sound of stifled guffaws emanate from the psychiatrists chair*

39. Richard Clements 11 Jan 2010, 11:08pm

That’s wiped the smilen off her homophobic face…..

40. Perhaps Iris will star in a new version of ‘One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest’! Pure Entertainment.

41. Sister Mary clarence 12 Jan 2010, 2:41am

I notice she’s had rather less to say about the ills of homosexuality this week ….

42. My goodness, a 60 yr old born again christian having an affair with a 19 year old AND his father and blaming it all on mental ill-health; are we sure she is not an American? Too bad she isn’t here in the States or she would surely get her own talk show and a mega-million book contract with a movie option…

43. I hope Iris knows a nice psychiatrist who can cure her of adultery, chicken-stealing, and hypocrisy.

44. Rod, you said, ” born again christian”. I disagree totally.
    She’s more “a wolf in sheep’s clothing” as the Bible says.
    People like the Robinsons are not Christians in the true sense
    of the word — they simply like to use the title but probably
    don’t/haven’t read the Bible throughout their lives.

45. But the same could be said of every ‘christian’ who twists god’s words to justify discrimination against others, hank…

There are loads of ‘christians’ just like Ms Robinson and they often describe themselves as ‘born again’ or evangelical or fundamentalists or traditionalists. I agree with you that there’s nothing Christian about their attitude, but they’re far from rare.

46. Simon Murphy -
    Brilliant!!
    And almost documentary, not parody. I once crossed swords with a homophobic god-botherer who pretty much said that teaching children about gay and lesbian people was worse than their being sexually abused by a straight parent, and that men abusing little girls was no big deal compared to their abusing little boys. Some of these folk are SCARY.

47. Iris Robinson is the Whore of Babylon and will burn in the fires of hell forever for her adulterous behaviour as a wanton woman who should be stoned for her crimes and the disgusting, evil cess pit she has caused; burn in hell forever you Jezablle!!! Whoops I seem to have become Rev Iain Paisley all of a sudden…….

48. Iris Robinson is the Whore of Babylon and will burn in the fires of hell forever for her adulterous behaviour as a wanton woman who should be stoned for her crimes and the disgusting, evil cess pit she has caused; burn in hell forever you Jezablle!!! whoops I seem to have become Rev Iain Paisley all of a sudden…..

49. Hey Iris, you said,”There are loads of ‘christians’ just like Ms Robinson and they often describe themselves as ‘born again’ or evangelical or fundamentalists or traditionalists.”

I agree and much of the time it’s difficult to know “which is which, and who is who” and sometimes only time will tell as they show their true behavior.

One has to be critical and even judgemental when discerning who
    truly is “born again,” and a true believer and follower of the
    teachings of Jesus Christ. Below is one of the sayings of Jesus
    that exemplifies the difficulty of understanding religious belief
    and behavior and which causes untold grief, pain, anger and hate.

“Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Not everyone that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? And in thy name have cast out devils? And in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I NEVER KNEW YOU: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” (Matt 7:15-23)

Iris…this is a deep subject that takes study, discernment and even judgement (yes judgement at times) to know where one stands with Christianity.

50. VERY Interesting: according to this article in the Irish Independent (scroll to the end): “legal sources speculated that lawyers acting for Mrs Robinson may invoke legislation that would prevent the prosecution of anyone suffering from mental illness.”

51. Her mental illness may be just a ploy. However, if she’s booked into a hospital in Belfast and is actually having to see a psychiatrist, she’ll also be having a dose of CBT and possibly other counselling in order to stay. Her choice is simple:

* Remain in psychiatric care in order to bolster her claim, or
    * Check herself out of the hospital and psychiatric care and admit she’s not ill.

In the first case, she’ll be getting therapy, which will force her to confront her messed up psyche and take responsibility for her behaviour; in the second case,she’ll have no cover for her behaviour whatsoever. Win-win for the folks who loathe her. Personally, I’m praying for her to get intensive therapy and come out of it all as someone who is able to take responsibility for herself and determined to make amends for the rest of her life – that, to me, would be the sweetest victory.