Exclusive: Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg to answer gay questions

1. I like Nick Clegg and the Lib Dems. My hope is for the Lib Dems and Greens to form part of a Coalition Government. That would curb the worst excesses of party politics. The best people for each job could be appointed from each of the participating parties, instead of the clueless career politicians we have in charge of most of the Ministries and Departments at the moment. The Lib Dems and greens would bring principles and sincerity back to politics, create green jobs and restore our civil liberties. Both the Lib Dems and the Greens are very serious about the rights of lesbian, gay, bi, trans and intersex people.

2. Brian Burton 8 Jan 2010, 9:51pm

No, No, Nick Clegg is usless at answering questions. He did’nt know even what an old age Pensioner’s weekly pension is!

3. Crime1234management 8 Jan 2010, 10:52pm

We switch from political party to political party because politicians don’t do what the people want them to do. Local councils change back and forth all the time from political party to political party because politicians are just spongers.

So there is no point in asking a sponger a question because they give you the answer they think you want to hear.

I have just killed two mice in my council flat they were living in my kitchen behind the kitchen unit and coming out to enjoy my tiger bread. So I killed two baby mice and I know the mother is plotting on me probably swearing at me in mice language.

Which is best and electric mousetrap that gives them an electric shock
    or a sticky mousetrap, or one of those electric plugs that apparently let out a high-pitched sound that only mice can hear that drives mice away.

Amazon:
    electric plug £24 something.
    An electric trap that gives them an electric shock £28 something
    which is best?

Does anybody use any of these? which is best?

I have put masking tape around the bottom of the kitchen door to stop the mother mouse from killing me at night-time when I’m sleeping.

4. Mickey Mouse 8 Jan 2010, 11:35pm

Unfortunately dear mother mouse was taken this morning by the police under the Terrorism Act. Apparently she was a big cheese in the world of underground rodent terror network….

5. I have a question for Nick , and he can pass it on to David , Gordon and any other tom dick or harry with the title of MP and an expense account. Why are we still having to be asked questions about our every day lives and our equailty, when by now in 2010, we should by rights be equal on everything and on every level, then you wouldnt have to be on here cruising for the gay vote, and we would be judging you on what you can offer the WHOLE counrty.

6. My question to Nick Clegg is:

“Do you agree that gay people in Britain should have the full right to marriage (as opposed to only civil partnerships as is the current case), and if he was in a position to do so, would he push to legalise it in the next Parliament?

7. Stuart Neyton 9 Jan 2010, 12:41am

Two questions: Will the Liberal Democrats stand by their pledge at the last election to scrap university top-up fees, and further to this, will he replace them with grants? And what can politicans do to eliminate homophobic bullying in schools?

(I’m voting Green again, though)

8. ‘With just four months until the expected polling day on March 6th, the Lib Dems could have a chance of some power if the result is a hung parliament.’

Being January now someone at Pink need to learn maths!lol

Nick Clegg doing PinkNews, its not going to change my mind. I shall be voting but for none of the 3 main parties. Some may consider voting for a small party pointless but I feel its better than not voting at all. After all if you don’t vote you can’t moan about things when they get bad. I dread the thought of Gord B or Daud Dave being in power. About time we had someone with a real pair of b*****ks in power.

9. Stephen Kay 9 Jan 2010, 11:44am

The Lib dem`s in 2000 stated that they supported full marriage rights to gay people. Why is that no longer the case and would the Lib Dem`s back such a move in future?

10. I always vote Lib Dem (I live in a place dominated by the Tory gentry), but Nick Clegg is very boring for such a pretty boy. They should bring Charlie Kennedy back and put a bit of water in his Grouse.
    PS – Please, Pink News, could you make the message access words a a bit less illegible?

11. James Harrison 9 Jan 2010, 4:04pm

Here’s my question. Many gay people today are backing the Conservatives, despite its history on poor gay rights such as Section 28 and the recent case of Conservative MPs challenging the case for lesbians to undertake IVF treatment. What do you say to the gay people out there who are thinking of voting Conservative?

12. I hope Mr Clegg has a thick skin as some of these comments are very rude.

I would like to ask him his views on the drinking laws and the fact that having taken away smoking in public places the government has replaced it with other vices (to make up for lost revenue) like gambling (see endless gambling ads on TV) and 24 hour drinking licenses, even though they were told by ordinary people it wouldn’t work, that Britain is NOT continental and our young people have no clue how to handle alcohol generally. What are his views on this?

I would also like to know where he stands on the potential issue of Falklands oil exploration and should a Lib Dem government ever be in power, the chances of us going to war with Argentina again in light of recent encouraging finds.

Many thanks,

Guy.

13. People, you need to be e-mailig these questions.

14. Robert, ex pat Brit 9 Jan 2010, 8:35pm

David, I’ve also asked the same question. Now that Portugal has surpassed us along with the other seven more progressive countries, five states in America, Mexico City, Buenos Aires, he should be at the forefront on marriage equality. In a true democracy, we expand rights, not diminish them which is not equality at all. Its long overdue.

15. @Robert I wouldn’t be sure in saying that Portugal has surpassed the U.K. The Parliament of Portugal voted down a bill which would have allowed joint adoption by same-sex couples. The U.K. already allows such adoptions.

16. Australian gay activist Paul Mitchell 10 Jan 2010, 3:28am

Portugal does not allow IVF for single women and lesbians as well as not allowing adoption for same sex couples – but marriage will be allowed soon!!!

De facto union rights were vetoed last year in August by the president to expand pension, inheritance and a couple of other rights to de facto unions.

17. John(Derbyshire) 10 Jan 2010, 5:10pm

Gerald Howarth has been appointed a Conservative party “Defence spokesman” Thats how close he is to their leadership.

18. Robert, ex pat Brit 10 Jan 2010, 5:46pm

Paschal, Belgium when it passed marriage equality several years ago didn’t allow gay couples to adopt, now it does. Portugal will probably allow it at a later time. As far as marriage equality goes, and to me that’s far more important right now, Portugal most certainly HAS surpassed us. We don’t even have one MP courageous enough to even start debate on it. Expect nothing from Cameron either once he’s elected. Luxembourg is currently mulling it and I daresay so will France once Sarkozy is ousted. At least France had a candidate, Segolene Royal who ran on marriage equality and lost by a narrow margin and I suspect she will re-emerge once homophobe Sarkozy is gone, not soon enough.

19. Simon Murphy 11 Jan 2010, 12:03pm

1. Does the Liberal Democrat Party support marriage equality for LGBT couples?
    1.a.If the answer to question 1 above is ‘Yes’ what are the Lib Dem plans to introduce equality
    1. b. If the answer to question 1 above is ‘No’ then why should any LGBT person vore Lib Dem

2. Does the Lib Dem Party support the religious opt out to equality legislation.
    2. a. If the answer to question 1 above is ‘Yes’ then why should any LGBT person vote Lib Dem
    2. b. .If the answer to question 1 above is ‘No’ what are the Lib Dem plans to end this homophobic opt out

3. Does the Lib Dem Party believet that British aid to murderously homophobic African countries like Uganda or Malawi or Rwanda become contingent on these countries fully decriminalising homosexuality.

4. If the Lib Dem party continues to think aid to murderously homophobic African countries like Uganda should continue what precautions will be put in place to ensure that not a single penny of British taxpayers money is used to oppress LGBT people

5. Does the Lib Dem Party support an independently regulated Press Complaints Commission to replace the self regulating current PCC?

6. In light of repeated examples of BBC homophobia (‘Should gay people face execution?’ being the most recent example) do you think the the BBC license fee is value for money for LGBT license fee payers

20. Just to let you know that the LibDems ARE in favour of FULL MARRIAGE RIGHTS with no opt out for religious organisations. In addition, they are for scrapping fees etc as mentioned above.

I’ll be voting LibDems again as I truly also believe they are the only party who have the correct policies for Police, Prisons and social justice.

21. Overall I think that the Lib Dem record on gay rights has been exemplary, at least at national level (like all parties they have had a few dodgy characters at local level), ever since the party was formed in 1988.

For me the key element is the education system. (1) reducing the grip of organised religions that are the main drivers of homophobia these days and (2) helping youn g gay people to grow up self confident and able to develop healthy relationships, rather than just being left to flounder, as I was.

22. Will the Lib Dems promise to put forward legislation for full LGBT equality, including marriage, and remove all religious get out clauses? Only when a party gives me that respect will I consider giving it the respect of voting for it to run my country.

23. Funny, the questions I have emailed are broadly on those lines:

How would the liberal democrats remove the right that religions retain under the notorious “free speech” clause of the recent inequality legislation, to persecute LGBT people, incite hatred for example the offensive remarks of the pope?

Why should I as a non-christian obey any christain forumlated laws, especially those that violate my morals? (for instance preventing equal access to civil marriage to LGBT people)

How will the Liberal Democrats protect non-christians from the infliction of Christian evangelism on them?

How will the Liberal Democrats disestablish the church from government?

Why should correspondance from the Duke of Cornwall to government be priveleged (answered quicker than my queries to government for example, and then allowed to remain secret)?

24. I don’t trust the Liberal Democrats they have a habit of breaking promises. In my home Town (Yate, South Gloucestershire) they run the Town Council and they promised to help start a LGBT youth group, but now they have since broken that promise and have back-tracked.

The Liberal Democrats will promise you the “earth” but behind your backs they will intentionally break those promises.

Theres nothing Liberal about the Liberal Democrats!

25. Robert, the states in America that have “gay marraige” still don’t give you any of the tax equality that civil partnership gives you in Britain. It’s completely wrong to suggest that they have equality.

26. I support the lib dems and would dearly love to bed Mr Clegg ;-))