Court case on California marriage ban to be heard next week

1. Brian Burton 5 Jan 2010, 1:39pm

Moer legal wrangling set by the protectors of the innocent in California. One Question please…can anyone find an inocent in California?

2. the.kitty.channel 5 Jan 2010, 3:32pm

Is this the case which I believe had a preliminary hearing last year, in which the judge asked the complainant’s counsel to state how exactly extending marriage rights to gay people would subtract from the rights enjoyed by straight people and damage straight people’s marriages?

3. Jen Marcus 5 Jan 2010, 5:39pm

This case and trial is a matter of great import and should be televised. I think the marriage opponents do not want the trial televised because it would readily expose their irrational, unjust and inhumane arguments to the general public. Consequently, it would work to sway public opinion to favor and support our position. Even in the event we would lose in trial, we may very well win in a future marriage referendum because it would likely display the marriage opponents’ weak and unfair arguments.

4. the.kitty.channel 5 Jan 2010, 6:29pm

It says here “gay marriage opponents have said witnesses may be intimated” which is a novel and bold use of English. Speaking purely personally, I’d have said “intimidated” but it’s just a private preference.

Well, I digress, what I really mean to say is that I believe the the kind of witness who would want to testify against gay marriage is likely to be of a predictable mindset and I just can’t see that kind of person suddenly going all sensitive and vulnerable and generally crumbly if they have a chance to step into the witness-box and bear witness. So that argument doesn’t hold water!

I agree with Jen Marcus – this is of enormous general interest and should be heard in the most public way, i.e. on TV.

5. Ward and George in Hawaii 5 Jan 2010, 11:03pm

The matter is one of equal access for ALL citizens to the benefits and responsibilities of marriage. As such it is of vital interest to all!

Ward and George
    54 Years together
    And yet,
    Strangers before the law!

6. Bishop Ioan 6 Jan 2010, 10:15am

I am definitely am FOR the televising of this trial. The literalists are so brave when they can keep their names and faces hidden. If you feel so strongly that your cause is just then you should have NO problems with standing up and being counted.

If this trial is televised, people will be able to see the lies, distortions and BIGOTRY used by the pro-Prop 8 folks to pass this blow to our civil rights.

I urge everyone who supports the televising of the Prop 8 trial to click on the following link and let your desire to see this televised be known:

7. Comment 2 – I was wondering that too. I’d love to see the wriggling when ‘christian’ bigots try to answer that one! Also, in the US aren’t Church and State deemed to be separate, so why are religious arguments allowed to have any worth at all in a Law Court?

8. Leave the word marriage alone, stop ramming your degenerate sexual behavior on other people. Sex is a private affair..gays have to shove it in your face, that’s the problem.