Senator succeeds in validating gay marriages before Proposition 8

1. Well done Senator another step in the right direction – now push for the abolition of Proposition 8 in California

2. Jean-Paul Bentham 1 Jan 2010, 10:42am

Another baby step. Everything’s coming up roses!! Nice shirt, Senator.

3. Marriage law is SUCH a mess in the States. Isn’t it time the Federal Government took jurisdiction over this matter (and also the little matter of state-sanctioned killing)?

4. The equalise the one and abolish the other, needless to say.

5. John(Derbyshire) 1 Jan 2010, 12:25pm

Hang on Chris-my understanding is that IF a same-sex couple residing in California get married in anothe state that recognises gay marriage- on their return to California they will be “married” in that state in al but name-similar to civil partnerships over her. Am I right?

6. Robert, ex pat Brit 1 Jan 2010, 3:18pm

Not the same, John (Derbyshire). I live in New York State which recognises same-sex marriages performed in other states and countries and are recognised as marriages. An American or British same-sex married couple’s certificate of marriage would not be recognised in the UK as such but instead as a civil partnership which it clearly is not. This has NOTHING to do with semantics. A marriage certificate anywhere in the world does not state “civil partnership”. The two are totally different instruments. A British same-sex partnered couple residing in New York State where I live would not have their civil partnership recognised as a marriage but would probably be treated as a domestic partnership which offers some rights of marriage, nothing more. Domestic partnerships in most states that have them allow both straight and gay couples to enter into them, unlike the UK.

7. Have a look at this link before Pinknews get round to it:

blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/alexsingleton/100021118/will-david-cameron-let-gay-people-have-real-marriages/

8. Crime1234management 3 Jan 2010, 8:42am

If you trace the postings most of them come from the same people
    simply an old-fashioned troll trying to encourage people to register to post.

9. Stan James 3 Jan 2010, 9:21am

Calif does have a strong domestic partnership law, I dont know the details.

But this is a major step forward from the dark days of history.

I hope our british friends realize that my country, the USA is a nation filled with hatred. It is not the land of the free. It is the land of grab all you can economically, the hell with everyone else.

And it is the land of bigotry. We are hardly past segregation of Blacks and our right wing republicans are doing everything they can to destroy the presidency of the first black president. And their base is the southerners who still relish the idea of making blacks near slaves, lynching them etc.

And now they have someone else to hate – the Gays.

All in the name of God.

the war against religious terrorism needs to be fought here in the USA as well.

10. @Stan James

But imagine what it would be like if the US constitution did not separate church and state!

Referenda is extremely rare in UK. On the subject of civil partnership, a free vote was cast (not along party lines, for example), and any result of a free vote represents ‘the supreme freewill of Parliament’. Subsequent parliaments never challenge the supreme freewill of a previous parliament.

11. Crime1234management 3 Jan 2010, 9:41pm

Civil partnership marriage getting married in a registry office
    civil partnership, register office, what’s the difference?

I do not believe in Gods I am a atheist
    I find the whole idea of Gods ridiculous
    I just don’t understand how a adult person could believe in Gods it’s totally ridiculous a grown-up man or woman believing in Gods should be ashamed of themselves. I also do not believe in father Christmas.

What is the difference civil partnership and register office?
    are they not just contracts?

12. Bishop Ioan 4 Jan 2010, 9:40am

Stan James, you are so right. This country is far from what it is supposed to be it’s not funny. Because of the idiotic freedom of speech laws, the fundies are allowed to spew venom whenenver they feel like it. They are allowed to constantly lie about what marriage equality will and won’t do (their favourite is lying that 4-mand 5-year olds will be forced to learn about gay sex. No they will learn that some families have two dads and some have two mums. They’re so bleeping pro-family but only their own. We have our rights voted away and we can be beaten or killed, all in the name of the Bible. We are truly the last group it is OK to hate and mistreat, if someone feels it is all right to do so.

Land of the free and home of the brave? I don’t think so. But then I don’t think it ever has been.

13. Robert, ex pat Brit 4 Jan 2010, 2:57pm

Dougie, I tried registering with the Telegraph and was told to check my email for a link to activate it so I could comment on several of the negative posts I read in the article. So far, The Telegraph hasn’t sent me the link. That idiot Ladyflap needs to get her head out of hole she’s in. The problem with morons like her is that they think religion owns marriage. They don’t even have the intelligence to differentiate between a religious and a civil marriage, the latter having absolutely nothing to do with the former. As for that boring procreation crap, she’d have to get behind a ban on straights marrying who don’t want to or cannot procreate if that’s her view. The bottom line is, its about hatred of gays although they’ll conveniently deny it of course, most religious cults and their cultist followers usually do, they’re wired that way, not much intelligence going on upstairs, let alone logic or rationality.

14. Thanks alot – your answer solved all my prboelms after several days struggling