Gay professor murdered after alleged assault

1. the.kitty.channel 31 Dec 2009, 6:37pm

Stand by for a “gay panic” defence, i.e. he waited from Christmas Day until Sunday, and then panicked. With hindsight, maybe filing a complaint with the police, or simply staying away, might seem a better option.

2. BrazilBoysBlog 31 Dec 2009, 8:39pm

A report on another website states that Griffin was ‘assaulted twice’ on Christmas Day. Twice?

One tends to think of a 53 year old against a fit 25 year old ex-marine…. Obviously the ex-marine was ‘terrified’…

Always a tragedy in these cases that the other side of the story will never be heard… As a previous poster said, obviously a case of delayed panic? .. taking along a 10-inch military style knife with him (just in case the 53 yr old might ‘intimidate him’ further no doubt)

Life in prison…meaning life is the only message to send out to other who might be tempted to find an older gay man an ‘easy target’,

3. More info here, and comments,most of which are sensible – I was expecting more homophobic ones:

I still don’t get how an older academic can assault a younger marine twice. Surely any unwanted approach could be deflected very early on?

4. Jean-Paul Bentham 1 Jan 2010, 10:32pm

My sincere sympathy to Don Belton’s family. loved ones and friends.

5. What a tragedy. I can’t help wondering what disastrous fantasies led to an obviously intelligent and civilised middle-aged getting involved with a sexually-confused psychotic thug in his mid-20s in the first place.

6. That should of course have read ‘middle-aged man.’

7. BrazilBoysBlog 2 Jan 2010, 2:00pm

@Rehan “I can’t help wondering what disastrous fantasies led to an obviously intelligent and civilised middle-aged getting involved with a sexually-confused psychotic thug in his mid-20s in the first place.”

Ah well, I would expect that he prefers younger partners… and I would also think the ‘Sexually confused psychotic thug’ bit was not known to him at the time…

8. I think that’s a given, BBB – a crying shame the alarm bells didn’t ring when faced with a possibly traumatised ex-serviceman with a female partner and child though, isn’t it?

9. Self-Induced Homophobia 2 Jan 2010, 3:33pm

Strikes again!
    All inequities ,disparities,passion- hate crime,animosity, all arise frome inward hatred , unconcious homophobic existence, particularly of the majority of unawareness and unconcious obscure people of this era un the the greater part of
    Usa.
    social Reeducation, illuminating the unified layers of all humanity & human existence is the key element for love in this miserable planet,

10. BrazilBoysBlog 2 Jan 2010, 5:51pm

@Rehan, Well, as he was an assistant professor of English and not psychology, his medical condition was most likely not obvious… and unless he had the female partner and child in toe, I suppose neither were they?

11. BrazilBoysBlog 2 Jan 2010, 5:54pm

Hindsight would be a very useful skill to possess, unfortunately, not may of us have it. We can all be wise after the event. We can all judge. My thoughts and sympathies are 100% with his family and friends at this time, not with the murderer.

12. BrazilBoysBlog 2 Jan 2010, 6:02pm

….HOWEVER ‘traumatised’ he was feeling… (remembering again that this was not a ‘heat of the moment’ thing.. He went back days later armed with a 10-inch hunting military-style knife) I’m all out of excuses for him.. He’s a murdering son of a bit-h and should go to prison for the rest of his life. Hopefully this will send out the clear message that gay men are not easy targets to be picked on and murdered. ‘Traumatised’ or not, he is an adult, not a child. He’s got a tongue in his head to say ‘Thanks but no thanks’ to any sexual offers… He certainly was quite able to physically stop anything happening that he did not want to happen… (TWICE) Sorry, but this sort of thing just angers me. Not only has he wasted his own life, but he took another valuable life. No excuses. He should have to pay for it.

13. I hope, BBB, you don’t think I am in any way sympathetic towards Griffin, the murderer. You’re quite right, it was clearly done in cold blood and is beyond excuse. It’ll be interesting to see if even in the Midwest the ‘gay panic’ rationale will have any credibility in this instance.

According to some reports, Griffin claims he was raped in his own home in front of his girlfriend, which suggests that Belton knew about his background. I still think it’s desperately sad that someone who, apart from anything else, had the insight to write an exploration of black masculinity should have suspended his faculties to the point of getting so involved with this ex-marine. Please note, in no way do I mean to imply Belton ‘deserved’ it or anything like that.

14. BrazilBoysBlog 2 Jan 2010, 10:04pm

@Rehan Thanks for the clarification. ;-) As far as the ‘other reports’ are concerned, he can claim what he likes for me… Of course, I do not know the individuals concerned, but I just cannot believe that a 53 year old man actually ‘raped’ a 25 yr old former marine! (twice as some reports suggest) I think it is this guy going for the (delayed) ‘gay panic’ defence, or simply trying to explain-away his terrible crime. So I would not be so quick to question the profs suspension of his faculties.. I would suspect that this former marine went round to the profs home demanding money that was not forthcoming would probably be nearer the truth… As I said previously, sadly, only this vermins side of the story will ever be heard… we will never get to hear the victims side of events. According to the victims journals though, they had know each other for about two weeks and had dined together at restaurants etc… Hopefully, the eventual court hearing this case will take into account the above points… The total unlikelyhood of his story, the difference in their physical beings, the lies he will be found out to have told, and will sentence accordingly.

15. Bishop Ioan 4 Jan 2010, 10:27am

No sympathy for his killer here, either. All my sympathy is for family and friends.

“Assaulted twice”. What a load of crap!