The gay highs and lows of 2009

1. “issues such as gay marriage […] may come to the fore” – It would be interesting to know what this prediction is based on, considering that I haven’t heard a single politician mention marriage equality in this country.

2. Gay marriage is becoming more accepted around the world and maybe will become an issue here too.

3. Why does pink news hate Same sex marriage soo much?? They ignore every story about it in the uk. Hellooo!!!??? The major sam sex marriage campaign and petition in scotland??? Are you guys deliberatley trying to undermine it or are you just stupid???

4. Um…hello?! New Hampshire legalized gay marriage, as well! Why didn’t they add that in there?

5. Crime1234management 31 Dec 2009, 12:08am

Jockstrap liven up my love life 2010.
    My water pistol is bursting 2010

6. BrazilBoysBlog 31 Dec 2009, 2:19am

Whilst I suppose it would be impossible to list everything in a small piece, I think the article summed-up the year quite fairly. A fairly unimpressive year IMHO.

I have the overiding feeling that gay rights are tsking a large backward step in various parts of the world, and maybe even on our own doorsteps.. (re: the jump in reported homophobic crime figures). Good reasons to remember that we cannot rest on our laurels, there is still much to be done.

Here’s hoping for a much better 2010… and a Happy New Year to everyone.

7. Nitin Karani 31 Dec 2009, 4:19am

The effective decriminalisation of consensusal sex between men in India this July is also a milestone, and so is the relaunch of Bombay Dost magazine (April).

8. I won't put my name to this 31 Dec 2009, 5:23am

I’ve seen this with agency staff workers.
    A African agency worker told me “homosexuals are an abomination and he wouldn’t look after them”.
    His disliking of “homosexuals” was extreme.

I told him that I was a ” homosexual” and he should take his prejudice back to Africa and
    not pollute this country with his backward ideas.

He reported me for racism they was acting like I was in the wrong
    I asked to be represented by the union they suddenly changed their minds
    and told me there was no need for that.

He is still a staff nurse in the U.K. looking after geriatrics.

9. To the above: why don’t you report the incident about the staff worker to the National Secular Society (NSS)? Still, I think saying to someone to take their beliefs ‘back to africa’ is wrong: I don’t want anyone, anywhere to be inflicted by such awful bigotry. No one should have to put up with religious bullies at work, and such harrassment should be a disciplinary matter. Contact the NSS at secularism.org.uk

As for 2010, well it depends on the elections. A hung parliament could be a good thing, if the Liberal Democrats get in – the most secular of parties. But if the Tories end up in bed with the DUP, will the last person to leave the UK please switch the light off.

10. Worst bit of 2009: being disowned by my father
    Best bit of 2009: civil partnership with my partner of 5 years

11. Jean-Paul Bentham 31 Dec 2009, 9:52pm

My best experience in 2009: 10 entire days at an all-gay campground I discovered only 3 hours away from home!

My first all-gay experience at 64 years old; I’m still crying with joy!

12. “The US states of Vermont and Iowa legalised marriage for gays and lesbians, while Washington DC is expected to gain marriage equality in March.”

-New Hampshire also legalised SSM in 2009.

“Sweden and Mexico City also legalised same-sex marriage this year, while progress in civil unions was made in Australia, Austria and Latin America.”

-Hungary also legalised civil unions in 2009.

13. Gay activist Paul Mitchell 17 Jan 2010, 6:50am