HIV experts call for declassification of transgenderism as mental illness

1. Unfortunately the DSM-V definitions of of all those under the transgender umbrella will be defined by the likes or Dr Blanchard and Dr Zucker. Dr Blanchard heads and Dr Zucker is on the committee both have real problems with anybody who is trans. Both are unable to distinguish between sexuality and gender identity.

Dr blanchard is trying to push his diagnosis of “Autogynephilia” a sex-fueled mental illness made up by Blanchard, who defines it as ” as a man’s paraphilic tendency to be sexually aroused by the thought or image of himself as a woman.

This from a Dr who has spent his life measuring men’s willies to determine if they are gay or not!

As for Dr Zucker pin up boy of the ex-gay movement who’s life’s work is tourturing trans kids to cure them!

I doubt any trans person is safe with these two making the definition in the DSM-V.

2. Ms Elaine Knight 29 Dec 2009, 5:01pm

Know matter how transgender people are medically defined ,we will allways be at the end of a very sharp stick being proded and poked by society at large and that I can speak of from experience.

3. I really appreciate having bodies such as this taking a stance against the Zuckers and Blanchards of this world. It’s terrifying that people such as they have so much power over our treatment and the way that society views us.

4. The medical definition of transgenderism as a mental illness is a contiuing source of distress and anger for many trans people.
    I got through my distress at the mental health system by having depression and being hospitalised because of it before I came out. It must be much worse for people who do it the other way around.
    How do we ensure appropriate, free and compassionate medical treatment, including surgery and hormones for those who need them, for all trans people, without the stigma of mental illness?
    This is the question I would like to see resolved, and I think that this meeting goes some considerable way to doing that.

5. seriously? Somebody thinks measuring penises can determine their gender preference? What size does he think a hetero man is then?

Is having a ‘mental condition’ any less stigmatising than having a ‘mental illness’? Seems like semantics to me.

6. Jennifer Hynes 29 Dec 2009, 9:05pm

I can’t see psychiatrists letting go of their immensely profitable gender business without a fight. Cynical I know.

But the reclassification of gender variance has been a contentious issue for many years now, not least amongst the trans population itself, with some saying it will reduce stigma and others saying it will harm the chances of support and accountability.

Personally I’m for the reclassification, IF the gender authorities do in fact make the “diagnosis” medical rather than psychological, de facto and without condition yet retain the full spectrum of support and clinical help.

However, it will be interesting to see just how this would work in practice, after all the only indicators for most trans people who seek clinical support/aid/intervention are self-defined.

I don’t know how many GPs would refer, or attempt to diagnose, a patient simply on the word of said patient… although saying that, there is the case of Chronic fatigue syndrome, which may provide some degree of adaptability.

An interesting and heartening story nonetheless.

7. Rose I think you may have misread? Its not changing gender variance from mental illness to a mental condition it changing from mental illness to a medical condition.

8. Pumpkin Pie 29 Dec 2009, 10:19pm

Blanchard is a quack, but autogynephilia does exist. I’ve known plenty of people who derive sexual pleasure from cross-dressing and similar role-playing. It is very, very wrong to regard TS people as autogynephilic, though. The differences are both immense and should be readily apparent to anyone who spends even a few moments talking to either person.

So, I’m just saying that, in my opinion, it definitely does exist, but that claiming TS people have it is a bunch of old cobblers.

9. If they are looking at really making the list of mental illnesses more accurate, then start by reclassifying religious beliefs (imaginary friends, invisible angels, miracles, etc, etc) as mental illnesses, then go on to those people whose life fixation seems to be to hate, persecute and destroy others who do them no harm, then on to Islamists whose goal is to destroy all “infidels” because they don’t subscribe to their brand of fairy tale, lots more candidates for reclassification we could come up with………..

10. theotherone 30 Dec 2009, 12:00am

one can only hope that this change comes about but there’s little hope of that.

11. An Cat Dubh 30 Dec 2009, 10:27am

Whatever they decide, they must never, ever base their conclusions on the will of the masses. This is supposed to be science, and is science prove that it is indeed a mental condition, as frustrating and annoying as it may be, we have to accept it.

12. No offense to trans people, but this is just PC politics run amok. Yes Blanchard is an ass, but requiring gender variant people to seek counseling before surgical procedures exists to protect the patient from making a choice they may later regret. I have met several gender variant people who had “okay your trans, time for hormones and the knife” type of therapy who later decided that they were not ‘traditionally trans” but gender variant and wound up having breast implants removed or getting breast implants after having their original breast removed.

Further removing GID from the DSM will not change “public attitudes” all that much. Homosexuality was removed almost 40 years ago and half of the public still thinks gays are sick.

13. Pumpkin Pie 31 Dec 2009, 4:53am

This is not “PC politics”, let alone even coming close to being “PC politics run amok”. There is absolutely no reason to classify transgenderism as a mental disorder. None of this means counselling will be removed. The level of support won’t change, but people will deal with it in a more apt manner.

14. Qjersey, your trans friends must be very atypical since the “success rate” of SRS is extremely high, actually very few people regret going through with transition. With respect, it does make a difference to have transsexualism removed from classification as a mental illness. I am a transsexual woman and I am not mentally ill and I’m not having the gender industry tell me I am or tell the world I am.

Okay, if it makes no difference, then let’s have homosexuality reclassified back as a mental illness, well you say it makes no difference, right?

15. abi, yes, I did misread. Twice. I think I actually wrote medical condition originally and then changed it thinking I had got it wrong.

I am slightly out of my depth in this subject anyway. I don’t know any trans people other than on the Pink online community and have no personal knowledge of the issues. But I am trying to learn. Please forgive any unintentional goof up. I’m happy to stand corrected on these issues.

16. OrtharRrith 4 Jan 2010, 12:24am

A change in classification would mean more then anything that transphobic bigots, various religions and of-course the media; would no longer be able to imply or accuse us of being mentally ill and deluded – something that occurs all to often. This would give us a defense against a level of ingrained prejuduce we currently do not have. Worth it for that alone.

17. Very clever move throwing Transsexuals in with Transgender and adding it to L.G.B…..T Remove it from the mental health act??…..you have more chance of being struck by lightning.