Eminem drops anti-gay lyrics for UK gig

1. Patrick James 24 Dec 2009, 4:37pm

That bit of his lyrics quoted in the article is homophobic, but it is also such a load of drivel.

Do people actually pay to go and see crap like that?

2. He is the biggest pussy I have ever seen. He’s no more “street” than that mumbling fool 50 Cent. It’s all PR.

Only teenagers are stupid enough to buy into it.

3. Simon Murphy 24 Dec 2009, 6:17pm

I’d expect that behaviour by Elton John. He does sterling work with his Aids charity and then undone all the good work by sucking up to a blatant homophobe.

Emoinem is one of those pathetic white boys who does his utmost to appear black – the way he speaks etc. Kathy Griffin who appeared in one of his earlier videos has spoken about how she was cringing with embarrassment on the video shoot by how he was behaving.

4. ” ….Hate fags? The answer’s yes”.

Could be part of an anti-smoking campaign ;)

5. OK, so he’s agreed to not be blatantly homophobic during that concert, but he’s still a homophobe who believes in hurting gay people and any event which supports him in any way is one which should be boycotted.

It’s not acceptable to give characters like him a stage when even if he removes his homophobic lyrics the visibility will still sell his music with that homophobic content.

6. Simon Murphy 25 Dec 2009, 1:42am

Drop the Wireless Festival a line on info@wirelessfestival.co.uk to let them know what you think of their decision.

7. Brian Burton 25 Dec 2009, 8:00am

8. There not stupid lyrics Brian, there blatently hurtfull and homophobic! He has to be homophobic pratt to write and perform such lyrics in the first place! and frankly just because he’s not performing the offensive song at this festival, does’nt mean he wont sing it again somewhere else. Unless such ‘artists’ (lol) have the guts to delete there homophobic ranting from there available catalogue, then homophobes thay will remain! RAP ( or CRAP music as i call it) is dead anyway!

9. Simon Murphy 25 Dec 2009, 1:41pm

“Who cares about a few stupid lyrics any way? Music and songs come and go like a straw in the wind! ”

Tell that to the lesbian being raped by a lynchmob after a Buju Banton gig. Or by the Jamaican gay man being kicked to death (while the police watch and do nothing) after a Beenie Man gig.

Music that legitimises and encourages violent hatred has no place in a civilised society.

10. Jeez, get over it, are we now going to police all songs to check whether there are anything words which may be insensitive. Shall we block all songs which use the word ‘bitch’ as its insensitive to women, I know, lets start a police state where you have to clear everything through a central bureau of correctness.

If you don’t like the music, don’t buy it. I find it somewhat ironic that the Gay and Lesbian community demand the right to march through cities, in many cases exhibiting behaviour which is offensive to the straight community, whilst at the same time complaining that there own rights are being ignored.

Be Gay, be straight, be happy, but stop looking for excuses to to feel downtrodden at every juncture. It’s not new anymore, and the ‘I’m being oppressed’ card just comes across as pathetic and attention seeking in this day and age

11. Brian Burton 26 Dec 2009, 4:18pm

Dave, on the Button sence of reason, there’s no need for veiws to be so paranoid!

12. Brian Burton 26 Dec 2009, 5:46pm

All you Paranoid Jug-heads Take Five!

13. Maybe he should, umm, not write homophobic lyrics in the first place? Now there’s a novel idea for him, in fact, there’s probably the first idea his pea-brain may hatch since nursery school.

14. Let’s go picket his hotel next summer. Not for being homophobic but for being a chav, and we’ll see how well he takes to that.

15. I do remember the likes of Buju Banton complaining that we don’t put up the same boycotts for Eminem that we do for the homophobic reggae dancehall acts.
    I realise Eminiem has a larger fanbase, but we should be wary of being consistant in our boycotts. To my way of thinking it would be wrong not to boycott him on the basis that he’s more mainstream and has more fans, as the double standard involved comes across as plain racist.
    That said I guess if he’s agreed to drop the homophobia that is pretty much consistant with the terms of the Reggae Compassionate act, so I guess that would be shutting the door after the horse has bolted.

16. Mihangel apYrs 29 Dec 2009, 4:40pm

so we, as a community, are OK with him being a verbally violent bigot as long as he behaves here. He’d go down soooo well in Jamaica!

And Reg really needs his head examined (maybe he fances the blond boy): this cnut is as much the enemy as any black rapper. I hope there are demos and the lttle coward runs back to the States with his army of securty

17. darkmoonman 29 Dec 2009, 5:10pm

So what? He agrees not to use anti-gay verbiage while singing in the UK. He’s still a big homophobe, probably in the closet about his own M2M feelings, and the most annoying faux Wigga ever.

18. The song ‘Criminal’ begins with a verse which ridicules people for believing everything he says in his songs….

“A lot of people think that.. what I say on records
    or what I talk about on a record, that I actually do in real life
    or that I believe in it
    Or if I say that, I wanna kill somebody, that..
    I’m actually gonna do it
    or that I believe in it
    Well, s**t.. if you believe that
    then I’ll kill you…”

The fact that he goes on to mock gay people is a deliberate attempt at humour!

Those who have heard the song will also see that he mocks politics, religion, drug use as well as many other things. I am gay and I like Eminem and having heard a lot of his music, have decided he is not homophobic. His fans will also realise this if they pay attention to his lyrics-which I’m sure they do.

This is a typical gay press knee jerk reaction to an issue which is being reported out of context.