Head of Russian Orthodox Church condemns discrimination against gays

1. Simon Murphy 23 Dec 2009, 4:15pm

Will the fascist religious extremist mayor of Moscow now be excommunicated from the church considering he’s used his barbaric religion as a excuse to assault and discriminate against the Moscow LGBT population?

2. Although he’s saying gay people must not be discriminated against, he’s not exactly in favour. I find his opinion quite patronizing, it’s like he’s saying that us poor little sinner gays must be helped. Whatever, I don’t need his approval.

3. jonnielondon 23 Dec 2009, 5:18pm

Kirill’s ignorance is loud and clear on LGBT issues: free choice, non-traditional sexual orientation, seducing and degrading people. Would someone please sit down and talk with this man and perhaps set him straight, so to speak. :-)

1. He won’t and can’t understand, Kirill has a secret wife and a “full married life” with her – even though he is supposed to be a celibate monk.

4. I don’t know what to make of this. He says that gay people should not be discriminated against but then basicaly says that is on a par with the abuse of children. Also, the part about 12 year old girls were ounce children but now they grow faster makes no sense to me whatsoever. Still i suppose it’s kind of a half-a-step forward.

5. the.kitty.channel 23 Dec 2009, 5:32pm

So much for the “absolute” nature of morality! You’ve got to laugh when they get their cassocks in a twist over a fundamental thing like that.

I think there could be more behind this half-hearted quasi-volte-face. Maybe the Patriarchate is at odds with Mayor Luzhkov’s City Hall in some way. Maybe the Patriarch has seen through the charade of Luzhkov’s “Human Rights Commissar for Moscow”.

Anyway, handsome is as handsome *does* – he’s a marked man now, or a hostage to fortune: the Moscow Pride organisers will now have someone to call on for support when they arrange their next parade. But don’t hold your breath – he can just as easily wash his hands of the matter and say it’s out of his jurisdiction.

Moral: they’re Russians – you can’t trust them further than you can throw an elephant.

6. Too little, too late, and not bloody good enough.

If you are a gay person wanting to take communion in the Orthodox Church, you can’t take communion if you are in a committed same-sex relationship, but you can if you have the occasional fling and then confess it (which one would have thought would be seen as more “sinful”). That makes no sense whatever.

7. Bishop Ioan 23 Dec 2009, 6:52pm

The whole Orthodox Church makes no sense. I was Orthodox for 20 years and the contradictions just piled up until I left and became Old Catholic. Now I am in a marriage with a wonderful woman who is the love of my life. Leaving these idiots was one of the best thing I ever did.

I saw no sense in having casual “flings”–no problem with them, it’s just not my thing–and then confessing it if I wanted to take Communion. Like I said the whole religion makes no sense.

8. A step in the right direction, Kirill, but you have a long long way to go!

I wonder why this slight giving-of-ground has occurred? What has motivated him?

9. “The task of the Church is to say that sin is sin. Otherwise, the Church is not needed.” I think that just about says it all…

10. Thanks so much Patriarch Kirill, for your “enlightened” comments. Now shut up and get out of the way.

11. “The task of the Church is to say that sin is sin. Otherwise, the Church is not needed.”

well, since ‘sin’ is meaningless, QED!!

12. Brian Burton 23 Dec 2009, 8:37pm

Boy O Boy, I knew my bit of Russian would come in handy: “V-O-D-K-A!

13. How decent it is that the head of the Russian Orthodox church suggests in one breath that we must not be discriminated against, then in another breath actively incites discrimination against LGBT people by calling us sinful.

Only the Orthodox Church could come up with such a “Ridiculous and Perverse Contradiction” . . .

Does the Orthodox Church really think that LGBT people are going to swallow this offensive and feeble attempt to appear concerned about homophobia.

How warped
    How perverse
    How sick this church really is

14. Jean-Paul Bentham 24 Dec 2009, 5:17am

“…it was the Russian Orthodox Church’s role to defend Russian nationality and religious identity.”

Well yah, isn’t that exactly what the gospel says. Cheez.

15. I like you Brian Burton

16. No-one who wears a gigantic, jewel encrusted, flower-pot on his bonce can possibly be taken seriously, can he, today in 2009…?

So it is still “love the sinner hate the sin” is it..?

Still damned with faint praise are we?

Still on a patronising mission?

Well have a listen to this from YOUTUBE, Kirill bay-bee.

HTTP and then a colon and 2 forward slashes ( you know the script!!) and then www DOT youtube DOT com/watch?v=6sWaTGLmppg

It should be adopted world-wide and sung loudly wherever homophobic bigots spout; Benedict’s visit to the U.K. would be a good launching-pad.

Keith.
    SALFORD

17. Brian Burton 24 Dec 2009, 9:34pm

Somebody up there likes me!

18. Talk about snails 25 Dec 2009, 5:26am

The Russian empire of gangsters alcoholics and alcoholics and alcoholics and ignorance rudeness
    the land that everybody forgot or tries to.

Russian conversation blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
    blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
    blah blah blah blah blah blah. Give me money blah blah blah blah blah blah burping vomiting blah blah blah.

19. Brian Burton 25 Dec 2009, 7:54am

Talk about snails,
    Would you please mind repeating all that again and perhaps set it to music, Ill get my ‘armonica out!?

20. Russian Orthodox Priests should do 3 things!

1. Wear deodorant!

2. Fight for the return of democracy in Russia.

3. Free old women from worshipping Saints!

21. Patriarch of Russian Orthodox Church is Man of God. Still, he is sort on homos, in my view. Unfortunately.

22. Just now I take a look on comentaries of English homos… Wow! What a bunch of idiots they are! That’s impressive, for sure!

I am glad that Patriach never reads such trash!

23. In my opinion the Patriarch has accurately portrayed the view of the orthodox church with regards to homosexuality.

If its any consolation The Orthodox Church regards all people as sinners. They do this not to put people down but to bring people to the awareness of themselves and to help them make improvements and become better people.

The church believes that sin like lust,anger,jealosy,vanity, covetness. etc is the source of much unhappiness in a human soul. This unhappiness can only be overcome by struggling against these sins with the help of God and the Church.

This is obvious in our everyday lives.

For example we all know people who very much dislike another person for one reason or another. For eg someone might dislike their boss at work for mistreating them. The person who continues to resent and hate their mistreating Boss becomes bitter and resentful and their work becomes a misery. But this person cant see the misery they are in because they are blinded by anger. But the person who accepts the Boss and forgives him and says to themselves that their boss probably has issues, will still find contentment at work and will eventually win the boss over as a friend.

In conclusion the church is against sin not to condemn us but for our own good so we can find peace and to find true happiness.

I dont exclude myself from such sin. I have and still struggle with sexual sin (and believe me i have done it all in that regard) and only now do i see the damage it does to me. It is not easy to overcome any sin especially ones of lust and sex but it can be done and the rewards are great.

Best Regards Milty

24. Jean-Paul Bentham 27 Dec 2009, 9:41am

The State has no business in the bedrooms of the Nations. If religious institutions wants to interfere with national policies, they need to pay taxes. Is there something unclear about that?

25. #21

#22

Ha! at numbers 21 and 22.

What is “sort on homos”, please..?

“Sort on”….is the problem; it is meaningless.

I have a good idea, from your other comment, too, that English is not your first language.

But if you are going to be insulting, in English, then at least have the manners to do it in understandable English.

Is that ‘short on’ ‘short of’ ‘sort of’…what?

In any case, none of my 3 suggestions render your comment any the more intelligible.

The services of a good, native English-speaker and proof-reader, prior to you posting your comment, might be considered by your good self, I suggest.

Or just keep quiet..?

Keith
    SALFORD

26. Jean-Paul Bentham 28 Dec 2009, 12:03am

Fact is as of 2008, Russia has no criminal law directed at LGBT people and has refused to enact legislation to address discrimination or harassment on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.

As in Iran, Iraq and Uganda, religious institutions are interfering in the bedrooms of the Nations.

And we’re the “queer” ones!

27. Potterwatch 23 Jun 2011, 2:00am

Smacks of hypocrisy & wanting it both ways to me! This is one reason why have no time for organised religion.