Culture secretary Ben Bradshaw criticised for Sri Lankan Christmas holiday

1. Jean-Paul Bentham 21 Dec 2009, 1:12am

“Human Rights Watch said that while on his trip in the country, the minister should publicly condemn President Mahinda Rajapaksa’s clampdown on Tamils.”

Ditto.

And why is a gay man celebrating a christian (read: homophobic) holiday?

2. Mihangel apYrs 21 Dec 2009, 8:20am

JPB
    don’t be a silly boy: it’s more than just Xmas, it’s the time of the year when nearly every people in the northern hemisphere celebrate the turn of the year (ie the solstice) – Yule, saturnalia etc, etc.

xx

3. will he be claiming the cost of his straw hat back on his expenses?

4. Simon Murphy 21 Dec 2009, 11:16am

What a load of old nonsense this story is.

Gordon Brown (and David Cameron for that matter) love to suck up to the Saudi royal family – a family responsible for a murderous, extremist, savagely backward state.
    Sri Lanka has its human rights issues for sure but nothing on the level of Saudi Arabia.

5. JP: “And why is a gay man celebrating a christian (read: homophobic) holiday?”

As for the Tamils – As they say “One man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter” – The Tamil Tigers slaughtered tens of thousands of innocent people. You tell me if they deserved human rights.

6. Homosexuality is illegal in Sri Lanka – now I know Labour politicians don’t think laws apply to them but I suggest he bears that in mind before smpling any of the locals.

7. Mihangel apYrs 21 Dec 2009, 12:59pm

@ RobN
    everybody deserves “human rights” otherwise they’re not rights but privileges or indulgences. We have to afford them to all otherwise they can be withdrawn from any of us on whim or prejudice.

This doesn’t mean that criminals can’t be punished, it does mean that they have a right to due process and protection against ill-treatment.

Sorry to be preachy, but these fundamental rights are one of the great achievements of the 20C, and there aren’t that many to celebrate!

8. Pumpkin Pie 21 Dec 2009, 6:10pm

We’re talking about Sri Lankan Tamils here. ALL of them. Not just the tiny, tiny amount who were part of the Tigers. All people deserve human rights, but when you’re talking about innocent people, you shouldn’t even have to ask such a question.

9. Pumpkin Pie: “All people deserve human rights”

In the words of the great James may: “Oh cock!”
    Rights should be bestowed on those that deserve them. If you have no respect for other peoples rights, why should you have them?

Equally, what happens when my rights impinge on your rights? Who’s right is right?

I understand the need for basic human demands, but all this human rights bollocks has gone WAY too far; which is why some poor sod got 2 1/2 years for kicking the crap out of a pair of burglars armed with 12″ knives.

The way I see it, rights are for people that deserve them. You ignore them at your own peril.

10. But – and here’s a thought that may truly shock you, Vulpus Rex – maybe Bradshaw thought of a holiday in the tropics simply because he wanted to be somewhere sunny and warm, rather than for the purposes of “sampling the locals” (a squalid phrase for a squalid assumption).

In any case, homosexuality maybe be illegal in SL, but so was it in New Zealand until 1985; and as few people pay any attention to this outmoded law in the former as they did in the latter.

11. Pumpkin Pie 22 Dec 2009, 2:25am

In the words of the great James may: “Oh cock!”
    Rights should be bestowed on those that deserve them.

How would we go about deciding who deserves them? Also, this would mean that children would have no rights, as they wouldn’t have been able to rack up enough points to earn them. Killing babies would be a fun pastime for all. In that case, I guess you could say that it would make more sense if everyone had rights by default, but could lose them for bad behaviour.

If you have no respect for other peoples rights, why should you have them?

If you act like them, even in retaliation, you deserve what they got. There’s no way around it: nothing gives you the right to impinge on the rights of others. It’s cyclical. Also, what if you get the wrong person? Oh, boy. In your ideal world, if that happened to you, you should probably just kill yourself before the torture squad arrives.

Munir Hussain? The guy who, after disarming and flooring his assailant, beat the man so severely, with three different weapons (now that’s what I’d call a VERY sustained attack), that the man was left with brain damage? And I’m supposed to feel sorry for this violent psychopath? He deserves to be behind bars. Probably headbutts waiters who get his order wrong in restaurants.

Works both ways.

12. Jean-Paul Bentham 22 Dec 2009, 3:09am

@5

“Have you not heard of gay Christians? Equally, many Christians are very gay-friendly. You are as blinkered and intolerant as the homophobes you berate.” Sounds like something MC would say.

I may never be as perfect as you are, but then I don’t have alcohol in my bloodstream 24/7. Strictly speaking, a gay-friendly christian is either a heretic or a missionary in incognito, and you would be the first one to point that out when your head clears up and you read Gawd’s word.

@2: The headline speaks of “Christmas” holidays, not the Saturnalia, etc., etc., etc. The languages of western civilization (“z” intentional) are replete with meaningless xian expressions…Oh, my God!, For God”s sake, not a soul around…

By the way, good one @7; I expect RN’s friend, MC, will be here any minute, just to give the pot a stir.

Let’s just see if Bradshaw attends a religious ceremony on the 25th, or rolls around in the sun while real people are starving all over the world, and while gays are being butchered.

Most importantly: “… James Ross, legal and policy director of Human Rights Watch (said) that Mr. Bradshaw ‘should travel around, all over the country, and then publicly express his disapproval of the fact that there are still tens of thousands of Sri Lankans who cannot do the same thing because they are being held in detention centres.'”

Don’t forget that it was human rights campaigners who are questioning this blunder, and the article was written by Ben Cohen himself. Whenever I hear a queer like RN criticizing Human Rights Watch, whose members have died and continue to die for his civil rights, something about that just doesn’t sit right with me.

Someone also mentioned the carbon footprint. What’s that, Copenhagen??

13. “Rights should be bestowed on those that deserve them.”
    RobN – 2009.

“Humanitarianism is the expression of stupidity and cowardice”
    Hitler – 1939.

14. “Humanitarianism is the expression of stupidity and cowardice”
    Hitler – 1939.

If associating something with something similar said by Hitler makes the first thing “unacceptable” then what are your views on vegetarianism?

15. Vegetarianism? Ridiculous analogy. Vegetarianism didn’t bring about death camps, or the oppression of human rights across Europe. Those who believe that human rights should be “earned” invariably try to remove them form other. Please, try to engage in intelligent discourse, my point wasn’t that complicated to begin with.

16. Oh, and RobN is well know here for begin an angry, infantile, foul mouthed moron, with nothing more than rabid racism as his crowing achievement in life.

Here’s another quote, that might be more relevant to you: “Tell me what company you keep and I’ll tell you what you are.” – Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

17. I agree it was Hitler who brought about death camps etc. but that wasn’t your point was it.

Your point was to try and smear a position by associating it with that of a monster, i.e. that to take a different philosophical approach to the concept of rights inevitably leads to abuse just because one other person, i.e. Hitler, used such an approach.

RobN’s point is perfectly valid – human rights have no objective existence and are a privelege conferred by varying degrees of civilisation.

Merry Christmas.

18. Will: Have you ever heard of Godwin’s Law?

The most famous of all the internet laws, formed by Mike Godwin in 1990. As originally stated, it said: “As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1.” It has now been expanded to include all web discussions.

It is closely related to the logical fallacy “reductio ad Hitlerum”, which says “Hitler (or the Nazis) liked X, so X is bad”, frequently used to denigrate vegetarians and atheists.

19. “But then such a subtly is beyond a nasty, foul mouthed, bad tempered little turd like you who thinks insults and sneering condescension are a subsitute for a debate.”

Got a mirror, vulpus_rex? Talk about hypocrisy. I’m sure the irony of your puerile statement is not lost on you…. or maybe again, it is.

RobN, is that he best you can do? A aggressive little racist like you wouldn’t know human rights if it got up and slapped you. Lets have another little uncontrollable anger laden hissy fit over Muslims/blacks/foreigners/ex-colonial-countries/Irish/Welsh/Scots/any-one-not-like-you (delete as applicable) shall we? Its seems all you’re capable of. Well done, Mr. Neal, you’re a triumph of human evolution.

20. I love that. He slags Vulpus off about insults and hypocrisy, and then proceeds to hurl a torrent of abuse at yours truly.

Oh, and you forgot to include some mumbling tirade involving Hitler / Nazis / Jews as it’s usually the last bastion of the failing on-line argument.

21. LOL! Oh, super response there Rob. Really impressive. So multi-layered in its complex references. Hmmm, I can really see how that internet degree you found in a dumpster gives you such an edge in these “debates”. Such is the honed with of a pompous web developer. Brava!

Tirades about Jews and nazism is more your cup of tea…. lets all curl up by the fire, while an ageing old hack like RobN will tell us all why the “blacks are stealing our jobs” and the “Muslims are everywhere”.

You can see why your insults have little bearing on me, I find you quite beneath me. Contemptible, in fact.

22. Willdo – Have you got a something to say about your ridiculous Hitler comparison or not?

If yes then I am dying to hear what craven attempt at resiling from your stupidity you can manage.

If not and all you can do is fling round insults that proves what a stupid, lightweight, little to**er you are. But then I guess a cowarldy retreat into flinging mud is what any regular reader has come to expect of the pink news resident bully.

23. Infantile to the last. You’re consistent, I’ll give you that. And not too bright either, it seems.

I am not responsible for your lack of education or intelligence. If you cannot make out the simple analogy I used, then explaining it won’t help you.

The rest of your childish rant is beneath answer.

24. See what I mean?

Stupid, little coward again retreats to insults and condescension when his ignorant posturing is exposed.

25. Jean-Paul Bentham 23 Dec 2009, 6:36am

“Rights should be bestowed on those that deserve them.”
    RobN – 2009.

“Humanitarianism is the expression of stupidity and cowardice”
    Hitler – 1939.

Comment by Will — December 22, 2009 @ 9:02

M-m-m-m, makes perfect sense to me. Then again so does Mihangel ap Yrs @7, and Pumpkin Pie @8 & 11.

And for those who have retained anything from Ben Cohen’s article, the guy who makes most sense is James Ross:

But the nob and the vex love disrupting threads, don’t ya’s??

Will: What’s 3 and a turd + 3 and a turd + 3 and a turd equal to?

You got it: a poifect 10! Yuk, yuk!

26. “If you can’t defend your riduclous analogy then go to a kiddy website, dumb boy!”

Always defending RobN, and so vehemently…. all the time. Curious that.

But, a small minded bitch like yourself, who can’t understand what’s been said and reacts with over wrought hissy fits every time….. you really aren’t intelligent enough to make it worth my while. Sorry. You are, as you would say, your quote “riduclous”… or is it ridiculous?

Here’s a mad idea, try reading what I’ve said, and when you figure it out, give us a shout. Dictionaries help if the word has more then 4 letters. There’s a good little muppet.

JP, thank you. Its doesn’t take much to understand what I’ve said, but hey, not all are blessed with a mind it seems. We’ve all seen this two faced offensive freak vulpus_rex here before, with his delightful brand of right wing crap and insipid commentary on whoever he’s having a bitch-fit about at that time… very RobN-esque. All anger. No substance.

27. Will: Are you STILL on a mudslinging exercise? So far, there are now three or four threads on here, and on all of them you have attempted to slag off myself, and often Vulpus Rex as well, but have said absolutely sweet F_CK ALL about the topic. Personally, your verbal diarrhoea bores the arse off of me, so Lord knows what others must think. Either stick to the topic, or go elsewhere.

If you wish to attack me for my opinion, go ahead, but instead you are just down to nasty remarks to try and one-up me. It’s not clever, it’s just pathetic. If you want to REALLY win an argument, try actually staying on the debate instead of resorting to name calling.

28. RobN, don’t patronise me with your feigned attempts at logical discourse, you have made clear before you do not seek debate here, you seek to air racist fascists views in public to antagonise. I’ll give up the truthful descriptions of you, only when you, and that intellectually retarded sidekick or yours, can quit being a pair of racist bitches, and actually say something of worth, and deserving of a debate like retort.

And I, like most people here, find YOUR racist remarks dull, insipid and offensive, and will NEVER back don to allow them to go unchallenged. It why so few have any time for you…. I can only imagine what people in the non-internet world must think of such a degenerate like yourself, it boggles the mind.

So, if you don’t like that, big f***ing deal. Leave the site then. I don’t take direction form those less intelligent and educated then I am, and I am not going anywhere, and I am not going to let a filthy racist piece of scum like you demean the nationality and skin colour of others because you think its your god given right.

You, Mr. Neal, are a buffoon.

29. Buffoon!
    Damn. After insults like that, What can I say? I hang my head in shame. I bet you have a Thesaurus as well. *sniff*

30. Jean-Paul Bentham 24 Dec 2009, 6:56am

As a matter of fact, and by simply revising this thread, it is quite clear that the mud slinging began on post #5 when what’s-his-name stated as a response to post #1:

“You are as blinkered and intolerant as the homophobes you berate.”

Post #1 basically quoted from the topic:

What homophobes were being berated in a blinkered and intolerant way in post #1?

Yuletide Greetings, and enjoy your traditional Gay-Xian Turkey Dinner. I’m having my usual Friday lunch; a soup and sandwich and I’ve given my pennies to Human Rights Watch.

TTFN. :7)

31. JP: I think my comment was balanced and erudite, considering you completely slagged off every Christian that ever lived in a single sentence.

Your retort was:
    “I may never be as perfect as you are, but then I don’t have alcohol in my bloodstream 24/7.”

You tell me who has the more balanced perspective?
    Enjoy your soup and sandwich. I’m going for the traditional capitalist/atheist feast of turkey and all the trimmings.
    Sometimes following one’s beliefs can be a real bummer.

32. Jean-Paul Bentham 24 Dec 2009, 7:14pm

Pinhead.

33. I’m not going to say any more. I think this typifies why “human rights” laws are a farce: