Canadian MP gets widespread support after Christmas card controversy

1. What is it with this website that refers to lawfully married same sex couples as “partners”? MP Brison has a “husband” and a “spouse”, he does NOT have a “partner.” We will never reach social acceptance if LGBT media insists on using the term “partner” to refer to a spouse, while using “husband” and “wife” to refer to a heterosexual spouse. It appears that pinknews has internalized homophobia.

2. They aren’t British, Pink News. As the article states, gay and lesbian couples have the right to marry in Canada, not simply be “civilly partnered” so Mr Pierre is legally Mr Brison’s husband.

3. I think its a matter of personal choice what you call your other alf. Him indoors…nah dont like that. Husband… not for me. spouse…sounds like mouse. i actually like partner…..oops sorry. i seem to have internalised homophobia.
    I have also hated the term marriage and wedding. I wiil be having a civil partnership in march and thats what i want to call it. If others like the term wedding etc…i have no problem with that. I think i have internalised heterophobia!

4. And to think some sad, pathetic people actually complained about that innocuous card. Obviously their real problem wasn’t that pretty picture (they’re not even touching!), but Scott Brison’s sexuality.

Yet again, anyone who’s so concerned with other people’s sexuality clearly has problems of their own.

5. dave, the point is that Brison and his spouse are legally married not in a civil partnership. Of course Pink News should refer to British couples in CPs as civil partners because that’s what they are under the law but why would PN refer to gay couples in jurisdictions like Canada where same-sex marriage actually is legal as civil partners? It’s insulting and doesn’t make any sense.

6. I opened the comments certain I’d find messages complaining about PN’s choice to refer to this man’s husband as his partner. Why not call him his “friend” now?

7. A spade is a spade, a husband is a husband whether you like it or not. PN should be more accurate in its reporting.

8. Mihangel apYrs 21 Dec 2009, 11:09pm

Once Miss Prim, the village spinster, asks Scott why he’s not holding Maxime’s habd, or hugging him., wwill know we’ve arrived.

9. Jean-Paul Bentham 22 Dec 2009, 2:14am

Scott and Maxime are two good and reasonable men.

This story is basically saying that we have religious nutters in Canada as well, and they have quite obviously been put in their place.

We need more guys like Scott and Maxime, not less.

10. As a gay Canadian, everyone acts all tolerant but most still habor hateful, homophobic, racist and/or sexist attitudes especially since the Conservatives were elected four year ago who under the previous incarnation as the Reform Party made it a sport to see which MP can be the most bigoted. No wonder Harpy had to muzzle them an no MP can make a comment without his consent.

11. Canada is very fortunate to have same-sex marriage. Great Christmas card and nice looking couple!

12. Jean-Paul Bentham 22 Dec 2009, 8:42am

I like Iris’ and Brenton’s attitude, and I can’t really contradict M. Pierce, because I too am a Canadian, exasperated by Harper and his “Alliance Party”.

Scott Brison is actually as good a politician as you’re going to find. But there are still some Elsie Waynes around who don’t want gay sex “in my face”.

So let’s get str8 sex out of my face, shall we, and we can start with men’s shaving cream and go all the way to automobile commercials.

And no more Xmas cards with photos of gleaming family members who can’t stand each other in real life.

Xmas…grumble, grumble…

13. Brian Burton 22 Dec 2009, 1:16pm

I’m glad the couple in question have been given widespread support!

14. Michael Haase 22 Dec 2009, 4:17pm

I would like to know how I might move to Canada and become their house boy! :)

15. Jean-Paul Bentham 22 Dec 2009, 10:07pm

We love you, Scotty;
    We love you Max;
    Enjoy your free time;
    We’ll watch your backs!

16. The conservatives are goofs. Good for MP Scott!