Homophobic singer Buju Banton ‘innocent’ of drug charges

1. The DEA know their stuff. Even if he gets off the charges (and I sincerely hope he doesn’t), the DEA would keep a close eye on him in the future.

2. This scum should never have been allowed into the USA in the first place. If he ‘gets off’ this charge he should be deported.

3. Sarah Jane 17 Dec 2009, 2:04pm

Buju Banton is a man who comes from and was raised in an extremely anti-gay, christian country (more churches per square mile than any country in the world). Where the ideas and laws on homosexuality were formed by the west previously a british. He recently spoken with the gay community I expect to get a better understanding of others, he was a teenager, young adult when he made the vulgar music, and did not make it alone. We grow and learn, and I agree drug activity is definately a no no.

4. It is Clear that all u guys are Gays and that you are “Nasty” People you call him scum because he tells u quite courageously that you are Nasty People and you want him to sing that our children should love people of the same sex i tell u this beware God destroyed one entire city for that same Nasty Behavior and i have no doubt that he will do it again.You Guys need to Go sit down and wait until the courts find him Guilty if he is so Guilty and then you can rejoice but as soon as you put down Buju another will rise and chant the same songs of immorality.i am behind him 100% and i know he will get off this one.you sick Bastards.you are so desperate that you want to restrict a mans freedom who according to your past president has “The inalienable right to life liberty and the pursuit of Happiness”

5. Simon Murphy 17 Dec 2009, 3:53pm

Kwesi – are you from Jamaica? If so then you have my sympathies – Jamaica is a hate-filled dump full of stupid people. And what’s more thanks to the likes of Banton people in more advanced, educated societies are learning what a hateful dump Jamaica is and are starting to avoid it as a holiday destination.

By the way your ‘god’ sounds like an evil, hateful, murderous b@st@rd.

6. Sarah Jane 17 Dec 2009, 3:59pm

Simon Murphy Racist Kwesi Homophobe, all we need is a sexist.

7. Kwesi also demonstrates a total ignorance of biblical stories. Sodom & Gomorrah were (according to the story if you choose to believe it) destroyed because of their refusal of hospitality. Even homophobes who bother to research it know that to be a fact.

Oh, and Kwesi, actually I don’t care what he sings about, just so long as he’s not promoting the murder of innocent civilians such as us gay people, just as I’m sure you would not want a white singer to sing lyrics promoting the murder of black people.

8. P.S: Kwesi, “we” don’t have a president at all, perhaps you need to study rudimentary geography as well as children’s bible stories.

9. Mihangel apYrs 17 Dec 2009, 7:34pm

Sarah Jane: obviously a liberal carrying generational guilt, and an apologist for any outrageous thing that is sauid if it is said by a person of colour. Quite happy to see queers killed if it is done by a black person. Quite obviously not gay.

Get this straight, we won’t be victims again no matter what the colour of the perpetrator.

10. Person of colour purrrleeez!!!!

I don’t want to see anyone killed. I’m just the type of person who looks deeper, when you are brought up in a society entrenched with a certain type of thinking. Shouting people down will not change a thing, it is necessary to dig deeper, inorder to evolve. nothing liberal about me. I agree that what Buju sang as a teenager was wrong. I was a very militant teenager but getting up in age I realized I need to be more open and somebody screaming you are wrong never changed me.

11. Jean-Paul Bentham 18 Dec 2009, 3:04am

“The star and two others allegedly attempted to buy the cocaine from an undercover US Drug Enforcement Administration officer after an informant tip-off.”

Uh! Where did the word “allegedly” come from. He was caught red-handed handling 5 kilos of cocaine, and he went so far as to taste the stuff is what I heard.

There’s no known cure for homophobia, but buying illicit drugs for the purpose of selling it is a major criminal offense.

I seriously doubt Buju will be singing anywhere soon and he may live a long healthy life in prison on the off-chance he becomes a born-again xtian. I feel sorry for his wife and children….I presume Buju is a family man.

12. Sarah Jane, you seem to excuse this maggot by saying, “He recently spoken with the gay community I expect to get a better understanding of others, he was a teenager, young adult when he made the vulgar music, and did not make it alone.” Well, how about the fact that in 2004 — only five years ago — he joined with 11 others to break into a gay man’s house and beat six people senseless (to the point where one of them lost an eye.) What about the fact that just *last year* he was quoted as saying, “This is a fight, and as I said in one of my songs, it will never be an end to the war between me and the faggots”.

Yeah, he sounds really “reformed” all right. He’s a vicious @sshole, who should have been locked up five years ago.

13. Mihangel apYrs 18 Dec 2009, 9:04am

well Sarah Jane, you are certainly an apologist for homophobia, or is it only when the homophobe is black (and/or from a deeply homophobic culture)?

If I see someone coming at me with hate and murder in their eyes I don’t look to their motivation I consider their intent – the fact their murderous family, priests, politicians, and police may have condoned queer-bashing doesn’t make it right! And for a singer operating in the international arena, he should know what are acceptable norms in western, secular society.

When I was younger I would probably tried to understand more: with experience (and some injuries) I’ve come to realise that one mustn’t tolerate certain things – this is one of them

(PS “people of colour” is a soubriquet chosen by certain people, and is inclusive of all those who are not “white”, rather than “black” which is considered by Asians as exclusive of them)

14. Sarah Jane – Just so we’re clear about this, the majority of the posters here are opposed to homophobia whether it’s expressed by a black guy or a white guy. It makes no difference. I’m not going to apologise for making peep just because the violent thug in question happens to be black.
    I don’t like Fred Phelps either, not because he’s religious, but because he stands on the street telling everyone “God hates Fags”, with the implicit homophobia that goes with it. I don’t like Jan Moir and I don’t like Buju Banton.
    Do you think we’d get better results if we just kept our traps shut whenever someone advocates murdering us on mass?
    Did you attend the Neville Chamberlain school of appeasement or what?
    I’m sorry but I always find it strange when people site other people’s right to ‘free speech’ when those same people want us eradicated from the face of the earth.
    Apaarently Buju’s right to advocate homophobic violence and assault gay people as a matter of principle trumps my right to criticise him for it and generally not to wind up lynched in a puddle of my own innards.

15. I hope he’s found guilty. He can sit in his cell singing his cr@p songs for eternity. I was going to advise him not to drop the soap, but he’s got no worries there. He looks like a junky homeless tramp. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

16. The man’s a sh!t, and deserves the bit irony of an all-male penal establishment.

However, had that incident happened in UK, he would have walked because American police use entrapment tactics which are illegal here, (and rightly so)

17. Pumpkin Pie 18 Dec 2009, 5:13pm

I think you guys are being a little harsh to Sarah Jane. There’s nothing wrong with trying to find a peaceful solution. However, it seems SJ was unaware of the fact that Banton didn’t just write homophobic lyrics when he was younger – he has also refused to make any effort to atone for what he did and seems to still hold these views. That’s why everyone here regards him as contemptable and why they were reacting so strongly to you, SJ.

18. Kwesi I want to tell you that I agree with you 1000%. Buju was telling the truth that you homos are too damn nasty. But it is not my place to judge you guys HOWEVER on the other hand when you homos try to install your nastiness to us Jamaicans and other people IT IS PLAIN AND OUT RIGHT WRONG. We jamaicans will never accept a battyman. And if we see any battyman walking down our streets in jamaica, we beat them to a pulp or kill dem. We were raised on the bible. Leviticus chapter 20 and verse 13 says IF a man shall lay with a man as with a woman, HE SHALL BE PUT TO DEATH. Buju is just standing up for righteousness sake HOWEVER if buju is really guilty of trying to buy and sell cocaine, I would be very disappointed with him but I would still love and support him. Everybody makes mistakes. Kwesi you are right, Sodom and Gomoarrah was destroyed because of the battyman dem. Let me tell you what makes homosexuality so dangerous. It’s not so much what you do behind closed doors ITS THE FACT THAT YOU ARE STOPPING PROCREATION AND YOU WANT TO CHANGE LAWS. That’s a serious offense. Homosexuality is truely a serious disease. Because When the 2 angels went to visit Lot THE ONLY RIGHTEOUSE ONE IN SODOM AND GOMORRAH, the gay men of that city even wanted to have gay sex with the 2 holy angels of the most high. Until these two angels blinded their eyes and confused them. Bitch good for them. If you think trying to have Gay sex with a holy angel of God is not a disease, I don’t know what is. The female tract contains natural hydrogen peroxide whereas the anus HAS MILLIONS OF BACTERIA that’s why God allowed AIDS to come as judgment. You guys better wake up and stop trying to change Gods laws before he destroys you the same way he did Sodom and Gomorrah. Buju hold up you head bredrin.

19. Precious, you’re full of crap and so is your bible. If you believed in it that much you wouldn’t even be on here using this new fangled electrickery that powers your computer. Go back to your knuckle dragging mates, taking kwesi (and yeah, he makes me queasy), take your bible and take turns shoving it where the sun don’t shine. Muppet!

20. Precious: If that’s what you and your idiot “bredren” want to believe, go ahead, but don’t come over here spouting your hatred and filth and then start screaming “Racist!” when people beat you up for it. You are the same people that smuggle drugs and weapons into UK. Where in the Bible is that approved? You are a bunch of hypocrites, and if there were such a place as hell, I really hope you and your kind get there soon.

Some countries are just more advanced and civilised than others, and when you’ve got round to stopping killing and eating one another, maybe you might start to understand what it is to be a human being.

21. planetspinz 28 Dec 2009, 1:52am

What do you expect from people who believe the bronze age slave-owner bible is the word of the massah enslaver, especially when people fry their brains with cocaine? What they don’t want to hear is that the same bible that is misquoted to hate gays is also misquoted to hate Africans or anyone who is not slave owner descendents. Hey do they still think the sun revolves around a flat earth in Jamaica or only on the good ganja?

22. Junior Hall 5 Jan 2010, 1:30am

I am from Jamaica and I say that without any apologies. I see some moron calling people from Jamaica stupid. Have you ever been to the country? Have you ever interact with any of the people? To label people from a country that has produced the best of everything in the world stupid, tells me who is really stupid here. I personally have nothing against gays for their lifestyle. Evey man has a right to decide his own destiny, the word of another Jamaican, Bob Marley, whose One Love song got song of the millenium. What I have a problem with, is when a group of people set out to victimize people who do not believe in their lifestyle. That goes against the very tenets of freeedom of speech. Its amazing that this guy did his boom bye song as a teenager, then try to reach out to the gay community for forgiveness as an adult and still got nothing but hatred. Is it that gays do not believe in forgiveness. I am sure those gays that spread hatred and unforgiveness doesnot speak for the gays who are decent human beings.