Brain injuries force Tatchell to stand down as Green candidate

1. Peter should now take a peerage….it will guarantee him a good income for the rest of his life plus the care he will receive as a peer.He certainly deserves the honour more than most of the rubbish that sits in the Lords and he should set aside his scruples and take it.

2. An Cat Dubh 16 Dec 2009, 12:03pm

The Russian regime is indeed oppressive, but it’s actually slowly becoming more accepting of LGBTs. The Pamyat (if I remember the name properly) group is the problematic one. But Robert Mugabe is indeed a complete s**tbrick and should be shot. He’s worse than Hitler, because Hitler at least improved the economy and was good to someone.
    And I’d like to see one of those protesters carrying a sign saying ‘Support Israel, the sanctuary of Palestinian gays/women/free thinkers/political opposers’.

3. Poor Peter. He is a hero of our movement and his injuries are wounds of honour.

4. This is a real shame. Peter has been my ‘hero’ for many years and I wish him well with any future endeavours and hope his health doesn’t let him down too much.

5. It really annoys me people like Ben Summerskill get gongs for insistent arse liking of those in power. When real LGBT campaigners like Peter Tatchell go unrecognised.

I wish you good health Peter, your an inspiration to us all.

6. BrazilBoysBlog 16 Dec 2009, 12:52pm

@ Ian Bower: “This is a real shame. Peter has been my ‘hero’ for many years and I wish him well with any future endeavours and hope his health doesn’t let him down too much.
    Huge thanks (I cannot say this strongly enough) to Peter for his endless campaigning for LGBT rights.”

I can only echo every word of the above. It is difficult to quantify the basic human rights that we all enjoy thanks, at least in part, to this man and countless other human rights activists.

To his critics I say… Someone has to do it….Who? You?
    Tp Peter I say… Get better soon and start to slow down.. (though I know you probably won’t!)
    Thanks for what you do.

7. I see “Sid” of the Green Party says Tatchell is a martyr to the Green movement and human rights – why can’t he bring himself to say “gay movement”? With “friends” like Sid who needs the Murdoch press?

8. Brian Burton 16 Dec 2009, 2:52pm

Peter is a Hero and should remain a campagner rather than a sitting MP who are not doing so well with their ‘Expences’ image dogging their faultering foot-steps.

9. Pumpkin Pie 16 Dec 2009, 2:55pm

I seriously hope he does take some time to slow down and recover. The man’s a bulldozer, but he’s not invincible. Put your feet up, Tatchell, you’ve earned it.

10. You are acting like Peter Tatchell has just died he hasn’t.
    He will just have to slower down.

You suffer the same kind of symptoms from stress also.

11. “He [Peter Tatchell] said: “It would not be right for me to seek election if I could not do the job of an MP to the high standards that I want and that Oxford East voters have a right to expect.”

An entirely honourable and praise-worthy position to take.

To all who would like to see PT receive a suitable honour – the easy way is to bombard No 10 with such a request. It is open to the general public to nominate people.

12. Paul (not the one above) 16 Dec 2009, 4:20pm

If there were only a way to wirelessly donate some of our brain power to him

13. Abi wrote: “It really annoys me people like Ben Summerskill get gongs for insistent arse liking of those in power. When real LGBT campaigners like Peter Tatchell go unrecognised.”

Well said, Abi! So true!

And, Paul, above, yes, if only we could donate some of our brain-power to him, but in the absence of that there’s always PayPal. You know, Peter is still living in a tiny Council Flat in a high-rise council block on the edge of Elephant and Castle, London. After all these years he’s still eking out a living, still getting around on his bike, still buying the cheapest foods possible from the stalls nearby.

If anyone feels any sympathy for him visit his website and DONATE!

Visit http://www.petertatchell.net and click on the “Donate to Campaigns” button at the top-centre of the screen. Even if it’s only a couple of pounds!

14. Yes absolutely: http://www.tatchellrightsfund.org/donations.htm A few hundred people giving a tenner a month = proper support for total hero. It’ll be a disaster if he crumbles before our eyes with noone quite caring enough to back him up.

15. Peter Tatchell 16 Dec 2009, 9:59pm

Hi Everyone,

Thanks very much for your kind wishes and message of support. They are much appreciated.

Yep, it has been hard to admit these symptoms and that I am not well enough to fight a general election campaign or to fulfil the onerous duties of an MP.

Standing down is so disappointing and frustrating. I enjoyed campaigning in Oxford East and was looking forward to boosting the Green vote there.

I delayed my decision a long time in hope that I would get better. Sadly, I didn’t.

On the upside, the doctor’s advice is that if I cut back my commitments I might (it is a big might) have some hope of repairing some of the damage.

Hopefully, I will bounce back in a few months or a year.

In the meantime, I am not giving up the fight. My campaigning will continue, but not at the same intense pace as before.

Thanks for your generous thoughts. But no, I would not accept an OBE or a peerage (not that I am likely to be offered one any time soon). Sorry, I don’t agree with political patronage.

Best wishes, Peter

16. Brian Burton 17 Dec 2009, 8:20am

“You are welcome as the Flowers in May!”…as the old Barbershop song goes. I’m Glad to be a Facebook Friend of Perer Tatchell.

17. You are spot on Abi1975 – and I would add ‘licking’ to ‘liking’ ;-)

18. Peter, is there anything major happening world-wide with regard to the Nazi-like atmosphere of fear and terror that is being planned in Uganda?