X Factor winner Joe McElderry ‘targeted by homophobic bullies’

1. BrazilBoysBlog 14 Dec 2009, 7:47pm

Congratulations Joe. So sad to hear that this sort of thing is still present today in our schools. We must never rest in our efforts to make this behaviour unacceptable.

2. This is interesting in the context of the other story about the teacher who was subjected to homophobic comments. Racism is stamped on so this is the new way to insult people.

3. celebtwitr 14 Dec 2009, 9:59pm

Congratulations Joe well done you!!! The 2nd comment: Racism is stamped on so this is the new way to insult people. I agree and this is unacceptable but rise above it you are by far better than those that say that.

4. Bishop Ioan 15 Dec 2009, 8:36am

Sad that this young man had to go through that–that anyone has to be subjected to this sort of thing in this day and age. I agree with celebtwitr–rise above it. You are better than those who bullied you. Congrats on your win, Joe.

5. Although, it seems that I’m similar to Daniel Radcliffe, who may have taken the jibes as a great compliment. \(^_^)/

For me, much is about perceptions of diversity. Joe was called ‘gay’ because he had some of the characteristics of a gay stereotype. I know many will disagree, but for me, being mis-labelled “gay” is no more or less distasteful than being gay and labelling oneself “straight-acting”: the real thing that needs to change, to transform the jibe into an accolade, is the perception of someone being fantastic for being exactly what they are.

One of my friends often teases me about the things I eat, drink and wear… “Tsuchan, that’s a girl’s drink / girl’s trainers / a kid’s food / a kid’s hoodie”. And when he says so, I just want to give him a big hug, because although literally speaking I’m not a girl or a kid, I feel he’s summed me up, and I love being identified like that.

6. Shame the article didn’t say “an ex-boyfriend said”.

I should note that I dont watch these karaoke competitions!

7. Brian Burton 15 Dec 2009, 9:43am

Stephen, you ought to watch, you might learn something about your condition….Narcisstic?

8. Aussie Gay Activist Paul Mitchell 15 Dec 2009, 11:49am

Why is it that in 2009 there are “triple standards”, for example; it is not OK to be racist – but it is completly OK to be homophobic or sexist?????!!!!

9. Paul (8): Perhaps none of them are ok, and all of them get shouted about when they happen. But equally, all of them get shouted about for silly reasons as well. For example:

- Racist: The other week a UK politics show host welcomed his guests as a chocolate chip cookie and a custard cream. Bizarrely, “chocolate chip cookie” was considered racist, but “custard cream” wasn’t.

- Sexist: traditionally, where sex is unknown in a written sentence, the male pronoun is used (eg. “The customer enters his feedback”). That is said to be sexist, but these days American authors regularly use a female pronoun in its place, but that’s supposed not to be sexist.

- Homophobic: A UK TV competition judge recently had thousands of complaints after saying to an “Out” bisexual contestant that he hadn’t converted the song gender, but in his case it wasn’t an issue. I’m sure she would have got no complaints if she’d said to a straight contestant that he should have changed the lyrics to be appropriate to him.

In other words, maybe people are more aware of, or sometimes even overly sensitive to, a subject that impacts them. Just a thought.

10. Stephen (no.6)
    Just read your 100 facts about yourself!!! I’m tempted to write down 100 facts about myself. (not here,of course!!)

11. Bent Sauer(Denmark) 15 Dec 2009, 11:34pm

If it’s to hot in GB – move to Denmark – you were the best, and we will be nice to you

12. Jesus F Christ 15 Dec 2009, 11:44pm

Of course this kind of bullying is unacceptable, but I’m sick of seeing straight individuals who are subjected to it so concerned with proclaiming their heterosexuality. That’s just as insulting to people who are actually gay.

13. BrazilBoysBlog 16 Dec 2009, 2:44am

@ Jesus F christ. Oh are you? I’m a little confused here on a couple of points… Why is ‘proclaiming their heterosexuality’ any more ‘insulting’ than you proclaiming you are gay??? (or is being ONE of them okay and the other not?) …

..and anyway, I’m sick of people who rush to ‘comment’ whilst not even reading the article they are are going to comment on. The article is about a ‘former girlfriend’ who gave an interview to a newspaper and spoke about the homophobic insults that Joe received when they were at school. Joe himself has not proclaimed himself to be either gay or straight! Glad we at least agree that this sort of bullying is unacceptable, which is surely the point?

14. awww :’( this sort of thing gives me a horrible sinking feeling but congratz joe, i luv you and know u deserve better than this, it was defently the jelousy :) I LUV YOU !! :) xx

15. I know how he feels:-( i am out and it feels better……good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!