Gene discovery could make gender reassignment easier

1. Pumpkin Pie 11 Dec 2009, 2:10pm

Exciting stuff! Now trans people of the future can look forward to houses on the moon AND easier transitioning! And with every new discovery about sex comes another blow against ignorant transphobes, too. In the future, transphobes will be regarded the same way evolution deniers are now.

2. Crista Sadler 11 Dec 2009, 3:14pm

Good News Indeed!
    This is Validating as its more proof that we are not self made freaks being a bane on “their” existence.
    Rather we are women just like any other women.

3. proud person 11 Dec 2009, 4:27pm

IMO we should be proud of who we are, not who we want to be.

4. “IMO we should be proud of who we are, not who we want to be.”

And this discovery may only make that easier.

5. ‹‹ “IMO we should be proud of who we are, not who we want to be.”

And this discovery may only make that easier. ››
    Ditto! And I am very happy to see that gender is controlled by a single gene, I’ll be using it against the next chauvinistic man or militant feminist that I happen to get in to a debate with.

6. I am proud of who I am, that’s why I’m transitioning to become truly who I AM.

7. Astonishing! I just wish they didn’t have to experiment on mice to find this out :o/

8. I dated a trans woman for several years and she told me that as a part of her ‘transition’ they gave her a hormone test. She told them she didn’t want to know the result because that wasn’t important to her, it was how SHE felt that was important. She didn’t want anything to blame it on, it was just how she was.

Can any other trans women out there say if she was unique in this feeling or is that a common trend?

9. dionysian,
    iv wondered if im intersex occasionally but decided not to find out. no matter the answer, itll hurt. either because im genetically male or because im halfway to being how i should. neither is a good result.

but thats just me.

i hope the science here, is expanded upon and soon.

10. Just another theory to add to the growing library of research. I will be hugely surprised if one’s sex or gender is down the action of a single gene. Contrary to what the article says, gender is thought to be social or cultural (there is one tribe in Siberia which claims 7 genders), while sex is the physical attributes. But the problem here is that people are also born with chromosomal configurations that are neither XX nor XY (Google intersex).

I have no doubt that this research moves us forward, but I am not expecting it to be the Philosopher’s Stone of gender. I am aware of other research that point to the existence of 3 or 4 sex marker genes.

11. Pumpkin Pie 11 Dec 2009, 7:21pm

Astonishing! I just wish they didn’t have to experiment on mice to find this out /

Oh, good point. In all the excitement, I forgot that I’m against animal testing. Well, to some extent. At least this is better than having animals brutally tortured or infected with diseases. Yeah, comparatively, messing with genes isn’t so bad.

12. That’s not people’s gender controlled by a single gene. It’s people’s sex.

13. sex and gender are two different issues.Sex is an action between two people regardless of their gender.Gender identity is how one sees and knows themself to be.

14. natasha wylie 12 Dec 2009, 10:41am

lol god it’s taken them this long to figure it out? pic up any basic biology or medical book that shows layouts for both the male and female reproductive systems and you can clearly see that apart from the positions of the organs in question and their functions with a slight thickness difference in one of them both male and females have the same reproductive systems. It only takes one bit of chromosome to turn an x into a y and vise a versa by adding it or taking it away. I figured that out in school some 23yrs ago. Come on people…… get with the program as the saying goes and hurry this process up.

15. Commanderthor 13 Dec 2009, 11:35am

No, natasha wylie, dear, the difference between the X and Y chromosome is not just a single gene. I’m not sure what you figured out in school some 23 years ago, but it wasn’t reproductive biology.

16. What if they create fetal screening for gayness or trans and people started opting to have babies that aren’t prone to these [conditions]? I agree genetics is the way forward, but as soon as you open this can of worms you start paving the way for preventative rather than curative procedures – why fix the problem when you can just prevent it in the first place.

17. “That’s not people’s gender controlled by a single gene. It’s people’s sex. ”

Yeah, I wish Pink News could get this right, especially in an article relating to trans people.

Simple version: gender is the mind, sex is the rest of the body.

18. This is revolutionary for all trans people, but it doesn’t eliminate the need for surgery. I’m still going to have to have surgery to get a vagina. And if they do manage to create a way to turn my testes into eggless ovaries I don’t want them to hang outside my body like testes. That’s another surgery to transplant them into my abdomen.

19. Lauren Glenn 16 Oct 2012, 6:56am

Very interesting stuff, but imagine being the mouse and then waking up one day as the opposite sex in error? They basically made the mice transgendered…..