US lesbian bishop-elect ‘hurt’ by claims she is divisive

1. Brian Burton 9 Dec 2009, 7:25pm

Nonsence Mary Glasspool, take a leaf out of Bishop Gene Robinson’s Book and SCERW them all dear!

2. the.kitty.channel 9 Dec 2009, 7:27pm

It says here “The Episcopal Church will only ordain gay and lesbian bishops in committed relationships, rather than those who are single.”

My feelings about this are divided. I’d prefer episcopal appointments to be blind to relationship status. In the ordinary world you wouldn’t have to declare yourself to an HR department as “single and not in a relationship, but heterosexual anyway”. On the other hand, in the circumstances, maybe it’s better to appoint and elevate *some* gay clergy rather than *none*.

3. Kitty, how strange. Do they have the same rule for straight candidates for bishops?

4. Derek North 9 Dec 2009, 8:30pm

Who cares.

Silly misguided sky pixie believers, playing their discriminatory games with each other, and dragging everyone else into it.

The whole sorry edifice that is religion should be burned down and consigned to the history books where it belongs.

Why is it every time I read about organised religion, nothing but trouble and hate ensues.

Damn them all to their own definition of hell.

Rant Complete……

5. Rev. Sr. M. Renate FCSF 10 Dec 2009, 12:13am

You have my full support Bishop +Mary, along with my prayers and best wishes.

6. Jean-Paul Bentham 10 Dec 2009, 2:34am

Hang in there, Bishop Glasspool. You are making history! And in Los Angeles to boot.

7. douglas in canada 10 Dec 2009, 6:43am

I agree with kitty about the relationship issue. How odd that they have no trouble ordaining a lesbian, but they would have trouble ordaining a queer person who is single! This is the first time I’ve heard of “being gay” losing out to “being in a relationship.” It makes me question how ‘liberated’ this church really is.
    As kitty also says, at least they have felt comfortable ordaining a queer clergy to this position.

8. Brian Burton 10 Dec 2009, 8:46am

Derek North,
    What I want to know is: What the hell is ‘sky pixies?’ and are you a sky pixie? There are hard questions about ‘sky pixies’ which need to be answered! Now, If you had said God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit I would have known what your on about you ‘Blessed Oblivion’ person!

9. Derek North 10 Dec 2009, 9:15am

#8 “What I want to know is: What the hell is ‘sky pixies?”

Draw your own conclusions…….

10. Those on the cutting edge will always been seen as divisive . . .

Mary Glasspool
    Not only are you an inspiration for LGBT people, but also for women in the UK who want to asscend to the office of Bishop.

11. why on Earth a lesbian or any gay person would want to waste her time with religion is beyond me. In the West, Christianity is the biggest enemy the gay community has.

12. The church can’t have it both ways (well actually it can!) If you let women be priests then they are going to be promoted to bishops or archbishops! Lets have the first Arch Bish of Canterbury (perhaps a black lesbian would sort it out eh!!) Good luck rev Glasspool!

13. While each and every one of us is entitled to our own beliefs, I can’t help wishing people would NOT equate the belief system, be it Christianity, Judiasm, Islam, Buddhism, whatever, with the [all too] human organisations or individuals that claim to represent it.
    If you don’t wish to believe in God, Christ, Mohammed, to any other deity or holy person, that’s fine but I find it silly, stupid and offensive to denigrade the beliefs of other by the use of such phrases as ‘sky pixie’ or ‘sky pixie believers’.
    By all means feel free to criticise the human organisations when criticism is merited, but please don’t insult the beliefs other people hold dear.

Phew! All that said, I find it sad that there seems to be more concern over the ‘cohesion’ of the Anglican Communion than there is in following the tenets of their religion.

Just saying…

14. I spent a good quarter of an hour leaving a comment, then couldn’t read these squiggly words properly. As a result my comments were nullified and in vain and I feel I have wasted time.
    I probably won’t try again.

15. Father Andrew Gentry FCSF 10 Dec 2009, 5:22pm

AndySam, though I think I know where you are coming from I have to differ with you. In all frankness and candor if someone holds “dear” “beliefs” that condone the hatred of gay people I have neither respect for them or their belifs no matter how dear the may be to those persons. Afterall the Nazis held dear the belief in an “arian super race” and the extermination of Jews, gays and anyone else they dearly believed as not human! Ridiculous example you say, not really, it is out of the heart and brain or lack thereof all manner of things come!

16. Jean-Paul Bentham 11 Dec 2009, 5:23am

barry:

That happens a lot.

I believe if you right-click you will have the option to go back to your original comment, intact, and attempt to unscramble the words again.

Also, if you left click on the two circular arrows above the volume icon against the burgundy background, you can change the words to be unscrambled until you find two that are intelligible to you.

I call it a glitch; you can call it what you want!!

17. Thank, Jean-Paul; I appreciate your help – pity it didn’t come from Pink News itself.
    Incidentally, can I tell you that I enjoy your contributions to these pages?

18. Brian Burton 11 Dec 2009, 6:30pm

AndySam ,
    I think you are right on the button with you comments about people who insult people like me because I am a Gay Christian. I also think Father Andrew Gentry has hold of the wrong end of the stick. You said you do not agree with those who would denigrade others dearly held belifes. So why dose the Father Andrew disagree with you? I recon he has been ‘Cloistered’ too long and lacks worldly judgement!