Mayor of London Boris Johnson criticised for attending ‘homophobic’ pastor’s carol service

1. Except that Boris won’t actually be attending the carol service on the 15th (at Southwark Cathedral – not the controversial one). Only Richard Barnes, his deputy will be…

2. Isn’t that just as bad?

3. Father Andrew Gentry FCSF 9 Dec 2009, 5:20pm

boris boris it is ok old chum we know what you mean. just because this preacher preaches hate 364 days a year he wont be doing that when you are there. besides other dignitaries have been there patting the preacher on the head for all his humanitarin work which of course does not include gay folke so why not you. what was it they said about Mussolini making the trains run on time, never mind i fear that would be lost on you. besides you will be at an Anglican service, you know the ones that wont condemn the death penalty bill in Uganda, with the Gay Men’s Chorus making it kosher for you so not to worry, just go ahead and clear the air in Coppenhagen for us, that is what is really important I wager. Lord deliver us from lukewarm politicans who try and be all things to all people and end up being nothing to everyone!

4. Simon Murphy 9 Dec 2009, 5:26pm

Boris wants to hear your feeback.

His email is

mayor@london.gov.uk

5. Simon Murphy 9 Dec 2009, 5:28pm

To: mayor@london.gov.uk
    Subject: Boris Johnson legitmising homophobia?

Dear Mr Johnson,

I am writing to condemn your decision to attend a carol service tonight (December 9) at Jesus House in Barnet, which will be hosted by the repellant homophobe “Pastor” Agu Irukwu.

Are you you aware that Irukwu was one of seven clergymen who signed a letter to the Daily Telegraph in 2006 criticising the Sexual Orientation Regulations. The letter said the laws would force churches to “accept and even promote” homosexuality, something that signatories claimed was an affront to Christian freedom.

Irukwu is clearly a divisive character and you need to investigate the people who invite you to their shindigs before accepting their invitations.

You should not attend this bigot’s church, for the same reason that you should not attend a church where the pastor preaches hatred against black or Jewish people or against equal rights for women or Muslims.

And don’t try to use the excuse that you have organised a carol service at Southwark Cathedral next week (December 15th) which includes the London Gay Men’s Chorus as your Deputy mayor Richard Barnes will be representing you and you won’t actually be there yourself.

So sad to see that you are legitimising bigotry.

Will you be attending the neo-Nazi carol service this year also?

Yours sincerely

6. Jean-Paul Bentham 9 Dec 2009, 5:37pm

Simon Murphy, you are priceless! Somebody needs to tell you that once in a while, innit.

7. Simon Murphy 9 Dec 2009, 5:49pm

Thanks JP Bentham. I do like to senf emails to people. Well after all it takes only about 5 seconds to find almost ANYONE’S email address (google) and another 5 seconds to concoct a message (copy and paste is great).

These public figures always claim they want to know what the public thinks. Well it take remarkably little effort to do this. I’m certain that most of these emails gets binned but I’ll keep doing it.

8. I don’t see the big deal.
    Boris can’t isolate himself from everyone who is homophobic, nor should he be required to investigate everyone he talks to just to make sure they’re not homophobic. He’s attending to celebrate Christmas early, not to listen to what the Pastor has to say on gay rights.

9. Spike, I disagree. Only a few weeks ago Boris was saying he supports efforts to combat crimes against gay people. But it is people like this pastor who give the gay bashers legitimacy. Boris can’t sit on the fence. He shouldn’t attend this service.

10. Stewart Cowan 9 Dec 2009, 9:29pm

Tatchell is priceless. How dare the Mayor go to a church service where the pastor preaches traditional Christianity. This country is officially BANANAS!

11. Mumbo Jumbo 9 Dec 2009, 9:50pm

Ah, Stewart, been driven off the Richard Dawkins site for indulging your strange anti-gay trollings and ended up here have we?

Where next? The Biggleswade Bugle?

In the meantime, stay off the shellfish and mixed fibres.

12. Stewart Cowan 9 Dec 2009, 10:02pm

I got on rather famously last time I was on RD.net.

13. Ahhh, Stewart . . . here again on pinknews to spin your web or homophobic hatred and heterosexism I see.

What is it about you that cannot keep you away from “homosexuals”.

14. Stewart Cowan 10 Dec 2009, 12:10pm

I wasn’t spinning any such thing, John. You’re letting your imagination get the better of you!

15. Philip Noel 10 Dec 2009, 12:22pm

There is no painting without a painter, no building without a builder and No Man without a MakerSo it is not logical that people say that they believe in god and do not follow what the bible says. The bible says that same sex relationship is Pastor Agu is being true to his calling as a Pastor. Gods Love for man was demonstrated by the death of his son Jesus Christ, it is the ways of man, aptly defined by the word sin that brings about his holy Judgment. There would be no man without a maker.

16. Well, Philip, if there is no man without his maker, who made god? Mr and Mrs god? Did god evolve? Or is he just an excuse for bigots like yourself and others to take pot shots at folk whose existence you want to deny?

17. Oh dear! Philip Noel (EVANGELIST) what are YOU doing on Pinknews? How bizarre! you will not receive a warm welcome here, so think very carefully about what you have to say. And then, perhaps it would be more aapropriate to remain silent. THANK YOU. Oh and by the way, back to the point, Boris should definately NOT be supporting this church service.

18. Stewart Cowan 10 Dec 2009, 3:22pm

Lizzie,

I guess the pastor is here for the same reason as me. Each of us is under condemnation if we do not repent of our sins and trust in Christ. We don’t want to see people spend eternity in unquenchable torment.

That’s what’s at stake. Sin separates us from the Almighty and if we are not saved by faith in Christ, thereby cleansing us, we will not be fit to enter the presence of the holy God, and so the judgement for us must be separation for eternity.

This is the reason we care.

19. Hahah, stewart, do you mix fibres on your clothes? Do you even check each item of clothing before you buy it? Does your wife remain silent at church? Do you enjoy the occasional shell fish? Have you ever had premarital sex, drank alcohol or taken drugs? Perhaps you and your friend should worry about the eternal consequences of your own souls, as according to your own pathetic rules and leave us happily in our non belief.

And to equate a painter and a painting with the universe is childish and rediculous and better yet, not very scientific, though I doubt either of you would care much about that.

20. I don’t want to enter into dialogue with Mr Cowan or th Rev Noel Philips but i have one thing to say and one thing only. If your God is the loving God that we are lead to believe He is, He loves each one of us in equal measure. Who are you to tell me to repent? I have Nothing to repent. Please remember, as you point a finger at me there are three fingers pointing at yourself. Why waste your time on this website surely you have better things to do with your time!

21. Please tell me that Stewart Cowan is being ironic…..Please.

22. Why wont the god botherers just bugger off and leave us happy homos in peace?

23. Simon Murphy 10 Dec 2009, 5:08pm

Stewart Cowen: “If I cannot keep away it’s because I am deeply concerned about your eternal consequences. ”

Don’t be.

I look forward to an eternity of fornication with Satan.

Now please f*** off with your religious nonsense. I think you need psychiatric help for your religious mental illness.

24. Simon Murphy 10 Dec 2009, 5:09pm

Jesus sounds like a boring, dreary old F***.

Satan and hell are where the fun is at.

25. George Broadhead 10 Dec 2009, 6:28pm

The simple truth behind all this is that Jesus House (a Pentecostal oufit, I think)is a Christian charity and as such regarded by the great and good and others as engaging in good works and beyond reproach. Its stance on homosexuality is, therefore, of minor importance.

26. NO sorry but its stance on homosexuality is NOT of minor importance.

27. Stewart Cowan 10 Dec 2009, 7:50pm

Simon Murphy,

If you think for a moment that Hell is the place to be then you’ve probably watched too many stupid TV programmes. Your soul will not die, so it’s going to end up in one of two places. It’s up to you which one you choose.

28. Stewart Cowan 10 Dec 2009, 7:51pm

Lizzie,

You are a sinner. I am a sinner – I know that. That’s why I need a Saviour.

“Why waste your time on this website surely you have better things to do with your time!”

Christ died for you. The least I can do is spend a few minutes!

29. Do i really need YOU spending even a few minutes for ME?? no thank you. I’m a lapsed evangelical christian myself and was driven away by people like you. i have found many more loving, caring and genuine people away from the church enviroment, sorry but your words are falling on closed ears.

30. 2 homophobes here are only defending a third and wasting their time

31. Who is Tatchell that he should impose his values on other law abiding public figures. I would like to criticize Tatchell for eating pork and for working on the Sabbath!