Guide released to help teachers tackle gay insults

1. Good idea! They used to say “sticks and stone etc but names can never hurt me,” but of course name calling is an aspect of bullying with leads on to further violence. stamp it out! Well done Stonewall

2. To Pink News: If you’re reporting about a potentially valuable resource it would be nice to tell your readers where they can find it, often you don’t and that’s not useful.

Any chance of a URL, or a slightly better hint about where to find or how to obtain this publication?

3. theotherone 9 Dec 2009, 12:00am

any chance of handling the legally sanctioned abuse of Children based on their Gender Presentation?

Thought Not.

4. The teachers are just as bad as the kids.

5. Yeah, nice one. Now the shirtlifting faggots at Stonewall can pick on the teachers instead of addressing the real matters at hand.
    Oh, that’s like SOOO gay!

6. Pumpkin Pie 9 Dec 2009, 7:32am

What real matters at hand, RobN? That children suffer at the hands of bullies? That some become so emotionally distraught that they kill their own lives, while the survivors often come out of the ordeal with deep-rooted psychological problems?

I know you hate us LGBT’s, but don’t you think willing harm on children just to spite us is going just a teensy bit too far? I’m wondering if you used to be a school bully or a victim of one. You would clearly enjoy the former, but the self-loathing fury that you try to project onto others is also indicative of the latter.

7. Pumpkin Pie 9 Dec 2009, 7:34am

kill their own lives

Oh, that’s a classic. I just couldn’t correct it without diminishing its quirky charm.

8. Pumpkin: I have been both the bully and the victim in my time, and in far worse environments than today’s typically poncy, right-on, health-and-safety type educational (hahaha) establishments.
    (Think Ray Winstone and a sock full of pool balls).

Mind you, you obviously didn’t study English for long with “Kill their own lives” – Why weren’t they killed by death?

And as Mike pointed out about “Sticks and stones”, its about time we got back to that ethic instead of running to teacher every time some kid in the schoolyard calls you a name. For f_cks sake kid, get a f_cking life and grow a thicker skin.

Either that, or deck the little sh!t.

9. I spent most of my childhood being bullied and put through gay name calling. I became very reclusive only going out for school and nothing else. When I was raped at 14 I had to listen to those bullys until finally I had a breakdown when I was 15. My parents had to pull me out of school just before my final year. No teacher helped me and when my parents complained they were told I had deserved and encouraged the bullying. Although I am a stronger person I can’t lie and say it still doesn’t effect me 20 years on, I still have problems because of it. I had to have 2 social workers and an HIV test at 15 in 1986 which left me petrified. Its not a case of ‘running to teacher’ when this bullying happens as many teachers already know. I think the problem is they don’t know how to deal with it.

I am glad this issue is finally being addressed, lets hope it goes someway to helping end the homophobic bullying from a young age. I applaud Stonewall.

The amount of times I’ve heard how the school years are supposed to be the best years of your life. I was glad it was all over, they were the worst and all because of ignorance.

10. Pumpkin Pie 9 Dec 2009, 10:41am

So, it’s that easy, huh? Somehow, I think not. Practices were changed because they needed to be changed. Kids were not fine and dandy back then. They’re still not fine and dandy now, but at least people are doing more to address the situation.

11. John(Derbyshire) 9 Dec 2009, 12:05pm

The teachers are the real culprits here. Thats where the kids get the impression that its all right to bully gay people.And because they are in a position of authority-the kids think its normal. Stonewall should be lobbying the NUT.

12. Homophobic bullying is epidemic in our schools exactly because of the type of stereotypes mentioned here – that words do not hurt, any challenge to homophobic language is part of a ‘political correctness gone mad’ conspiracy and that bullied children are to blame for not fighting back or having a ‘thicker skin’. This is nonsense. All children are diminished by experiencing and witnessing prejudice and it has a long-term impact as well. Primary and secondary schools report that homophobic language is used all the time. LGBT pupils are targeted but so is anyone who is different.

We have to tackle discrimination as soon as it shows itself. Allport’s five stage discrimination theory tells us that if name-calling is tolerated, this will develop into bullies isolating and ignoring people, then actively discriminating against them, physical violence and violence against property and ending in murder and driving people to suicide. Schools are riddled with homophobic prejudice, violence and, in some cases, this leads to murder – Ian Baynham was murdered in Traflagar Square by 17 and 18 year-olds recently out of the school system – and suicide of pupils who want the violence to stop.

It is easy for us as adults to ignore and underestimate the impact of homophobic bullying. We need debates about how we effectively challenge homophobia, support great projects and stop wasting energy fighting each other (which is often because of us expressing homophobia we have internalised).

13. Here is the Stonewall guide: please read it and judge it for yourself: http://www.stonewall.org.uk/media/current_releases/3606.asp

Stonewall have done some great work in this field – including the ‘Spell It Out’ DVD for teachers and the new FIT DVD coordinated by the wonderful Rikki Beadle-Blair – see here for trailers:

14. well done Stonewall – the first real achievement in your long history!

15. Simon Murphy 9 Dec 2009, 3:28pm

Why were you in jail RobN?

Did you work there or were you an inmate?