George Michael defends gay cruising

1. Simon Murphy 8 Dec 2009, 11:50am

Crack cocaine?

He’s in major denial if he think that he doesn’t have problems.

Although I do agree with him about Elton John though – who made him the Queen Mother of all the gay pop stars?

2. Well, i’ve never been cruising. it seems to be something only male gays do. Is his portrayal of it as something nice to do on a warm night accurate? I wouldn’t have thought it was.

3. He’s totally in denial. He’s an addict, plain and simple. Part of being an addict is being in denial. He needs to hit a rock bottom – if being photographed cruising in the heath and crashing your car multiple times is not a rock bottom, im not sure what is. It’s sad to hear him slag off Elton who is just trying to help him when he clearly needs help. He should read Out of the Shadows, understanding sexual addiction by Patrick Carnes. Sadly though he sounds like most addicts pre treatment – he thinks he knows better than everyone else. Good luck George.

4. we All go crusing. 99.9% of the counrty has had some sort of sexual contact outside, be it straight or gay. Partner or stranger. George is using his right to meet in public and good on him. he is a talented guy who clears away the bulls**t and is prepared to be counted. He is not trying to be something he is not, like others in the public eye. A certain golfer comes to mind.

5. why cant we leave a comment on this thread

6. oh my god are we being censcored on pink news. My comment was not different from others and yet it didnt show up. Is this due to the take over from the guardian. BYE BYE pink news. Any one know a gay news web site that is out there for us gay people?

7. Jessica Geen 8 Dec 2009, 1:56pm

Dave – your comment had a swearword in it. Regular readers have probably noticed our spam filter dislikes swearing, links and sometimes just gets a glitch for no reason. We will remove certain comments if they are offensive or libellous, as will all news websites.

Must add that we’re not being taken over by the Guardian. We have a new contract with them to sell ad space, which hopefully means we’ll eventually have more money to expand.

Jess
    Editor

8. such a pity he is wasting his talents and not giving a good role model to younger gay men. In the end, yes he is right, its up to him, but its a damned shame!

9. Dave talk for yourself. I have never and have no intension of risking my life by cottaging or any other variation in this type of sexual gratification. Or am I the 0.01% that don’t do it.

10. Sister Mary Clarence 8 Dec 2009, 4:16pm

Perhaps one day we’ll all learn to be a bit less judgemental of people we know next to nothing about …. in the meantime of course judge and sneer away folks.

On the very few occasions I have spoken to him I’ve found him to be very pleasant.

11. Jessica, fair enough about swear words, but how long did we put up with the offensive behaviour of that ‘Rahman’ character before anyone acted? What he said in every single post he made was worse than any swear word and it came close to killing off all comment on Pink News and driving people away. Let’s have some intelligent moderation on these pages, please.

12. As for George Michael, the crack cocaine is a problem. He needs help from somebody for that. What he does wth his sex life is his own problem.

13. Brian Burton 8 Dec 2009, 9:08pm

Is’ent there any other photographs of GM rather than the one that makes him look like a he’s on a constant ‘High?’

14. At least he’s showing off his lovely white teeth!

15. Good for him for being honest and not apologising for his sexual behaviour. He’s not hurting anyone by cruising. The world needs a bit less hypocrisy and a lot more honesty. Now if only Tiger Woods could say “Yeah, I like lots of sex with different women – so what!”

16. Many a time I have shown some of my friends from out of town where the right part of Hampstead Heath is for cruising, given them the keys to my house and said, see you later. There are designated areas of Hampstead Heath that the whole area knows as the Gay cruising grounds and no one in NW3 has a problem with it that I know of, or should. In an ideal world, we would have a men’s loo, a ladies loo and a cottage. This society should show a lot more tolerance for alternative lifestyles within the Gay community. What George said was absolutely true and good for him for being honest. I choose to ignore any criticism about the subject.

17. Jean-Paul Bentham 9 Dec 2009, 1:37am

Aw-w-w, what a dreamboat! Swoon!

18. “He’s not hurting anyone by cruising.”

His “husband” must be very pleased.

Random anonymous sex? Sounds great! Count me in! You deserve every disease you will catch.

19. any way that you look at it, he is a bonehead.

20. Jean-Paul Bentham 9 Dec 2009, 4:03am

Swo-o-on!

21. Dave: “we All go crusing. 99.9%” (sic)

Damn, I must be the 0.1% that isn’t a dirty little fag that’s obsessed with his dick.

22. Aussie Gay Activist Paul Mitchell 9 Dec 2009, 2:09pm

Let’s fully legalize public sexual conduct just like in Holland!!!!!!

23. Mihangel apYrs 9 Dec 2009, 2:18pm

@Aussie Gay Activist Paul Mitchell:

certainly not, they’ll be shagging in the streets like I saw in Amsterdam (or maybe not…

24. BrazilBoysBlog 9 Dec 2009, 3:14pm

@ Mihangel apYrs, Or like they do here in Brazil, especially during Carnival season! :-)

25. I’ve never cruised
    and never want to yet some think I’m fair game as I’m gay
    this stereotype needs fighting

26. Jean-Paul Bentham 9 Dec 2009, 3:48pm

I’m going to re-name my recreational vehicle (cottage on wheels); the George Michael. Sw-o-o-o-o-on. I should be so lucky.

27. Mihangel apYrs 9 Dec 2009, 6:43pm

BrazilBoysBlog
    I was being sarcastic: last time I was in Amsterdam everybody was frightfully well behaved

28. BrazilBoysBlog 9 Dec 2009, 9:45pm

Yes, I know.. I lived there for four months… But I wasn’t being sarcastic! :-)

29. BrazilBoysBlog 9 Dec 2009, 9:53pm

@ Chester… “I’ve never cruised
    and never want to yet some think I’m fair game as I’m gay
    this stereotype needs fighting” Sorry, I’m confused. In what way are you ‘fair game’? Do people attack you in the street for sex as you go about your daily business?? .. and how do these ‘some’ people know you are gay? Do you wear a badge? Finally, how do you propose ‘fighting’ this stereotype? By attacking other gay men? What next? Have a go at drag queens because you see them as ‘a stereotype’? I say live and let live, we should mind our OWN businesses and let others mind theirs. Judge not, lest you be judged!

30. some guys think ALL gays are into cruising – I thought that was clear? I don’t see an issue with drag queens etc but I don’t like how some think all guys cottage including that some gay guys make that assumption

31. BrazilBoysBlog 10 Dec 2009, 12:26pm

@ Chester. Ahhh I see what you mean… Well, don’t fret about it.. Lots of people assume that all gays are interior designers, own a pink French poodle named Fiffie and live in loft apartments overlooking the Thames.. That profile does NOT describe me, nor does it describe 99% of gay people. The real and authorative description and profile of a gay man is as follows:
    Camp, effeminate, butch, manly, top, bottom, creative, clueless, gifted, talentless, employed, unemployed, promiscuous, monogamous, into one night stands, prefers long term relationships, single, in a civil partnership, Labour supporting left-winger, Tory supporting right-winger, Liberal Democrat, a nice caring individual, would help anyone who needs them, a viscious queen who doesn’t give a toss for others..
    That’s the only real definition, in other words, there isn’t one! Which description applies to me? Well, I KNOW. (And that’s all that matters) I don’t, and won’t lose any sleep over what others may think!

32. George Michael (along with Rupert Everett) is an embarrassment to gays. I wish the dried up old prune would just shut up.

33. There is an article in our gay press on this issue and relationships. There is strong evidence that monogamy is not the key to success in gay men’s relationships. Gay men are well known for their experimentation of sex and the diversity of sex in relationships. Cruising is part of Gay Men’s sexual culture and has always been so. There are too many self-righteous gays taking on the high moral ground since we became mainstream and inclusive. Get a life.

34. Jean-Paul Bentham 14 Dec 2009, 9:17am

Richard, fvck off. You’d pay a year’s salary to spend a weekend with Michael George, and you know it, sweetie.

35. The thing that surprises me most is that anyone would actually want to have sex with him. Ewww

36. Jean-Paul Bentham 15 Dec 2009, 6:11am

Or that he would actually want to have sex with you.