New York Senator ‘never promised to support gay marriage’

1. Brian Burton 4 Dec 2009, 7:14pm

Well you cannot expect every Political Animal to agree with Gay Marrage…The Senator can resist anything except Temptation!

2. Robert, ex pat Brit 4 Dec 2009, 7:21pm

Goes to prove how sleazy these politicans are. Money trumps everything. Shame on Tim Gill for donating to this bigot’s campaign. Obviously his decision was not one of conscience but kowtowing to the bigotry of the majority of his constituents. What a sleaze bag. Another one we must try to oust from office.

3. Simon Murphy 4 Dec 2009, 7:41pm

Well that pig can forget any contributions from gay donors in future.

I’m pretty sure the donation was made by Tim Gill on the assumption that this senator would support equality. I doubt he’ll make the same mistake again.

4. Just like Obama, really:

“I’m happy to take your money but……….
    don’t expect anything back”

5. Robert, ex pat Brit 4 Dec 2009, 9:02pm

Actually, none of the 8 who voted against us see the larger picture. New York State’s economy is in dire straits, virtually on the brink of bankruptcy. Earlier this year, former city of New York comptroller, William Thompson, issued a report indicating that if same-sex marriage were approved, the state would stand to gain more than $200 million in revenue. So now Connecticut, our next door neighbor stands to reap the bulk of that huge amount of dosh now that it allows us to marry there, hopefully New Jersey too is expected to get a vote on marriage equality next week. How embarrassing for New York if that were to occur. The financial repercussions for New York will be immense as hundreds of thousands of local small business will lose much needed revenue to survive in a recession, printers, stationers, newspapers, hotels, catering establishments, travel agents, you name it, all could benefit from marriage equality. The infamous 8 not only voted against us but against the entire state and its economy. Our job now is to make sure they’re booted out next November in the primaries and publicly out one of them, Senator Carl Kruger for denying us our full equality.

6. Any chance he’ll do the decent and homourable thing and return the money???? I’m not holding my breath!!!

7. Happy to take his constituents money but then not represent them?
    What a joke

8. Brian Burton 5 Dec 2009, 12:55pm

Thank you Robert, ex-pat Brit. Your analogy is usually illuminating, you living there is certainly to our benifit.

9. David, ex pat American 5 Dec 2009, 4:47pm

Until Obama gets off his (or whoever’s) ass and prioritizes the repeal of the draconian federal Defense of Marriage Act, it doesn’t matter too much what individual states do, as the country as a whole won’t recognize same sex unions. As for my former home state of New York, surrounded as it is by gay-friendly Canada, Vermont, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and soon New Jersey, shame on you and enjoy your impending bankruptcy. Just one more reason my partner and I choose to live here in the UK, since we wouldn’t be allowed to live there anyway, in the shadow of the Statue of Liberty. What a joke.

10. White Wolf 5 Dec 2009, 10:22pm

I’m the same as David. I moved to the UK because same sex couples are not recognized for immigration. Obama needs to start doing what he said he’d do. The only way for us to live together in the states is if she attends university there. But what irritates me to no end is her fees would end up at $5000 a year, while if she had the green card she SHOULD have for being my wife and became a resident of the state she’d be paying $500…
    Ireland will have recognition soon, a Catholic country… the US is such a joke.

11. Brian Burton 6 Dec 2009, 7:55am

Ooooah! American, American decenters as apposed to forigners castigating the US! Everyone looking for Political office, even the ‘Oval Office’ sees the world through rose coloured glasses before the elections. None of our idiot Political representatives ever get to do what they wanted to do either. I’m 70 years old now and have seen a lot of changes for the better since they stoped sending Homosexuals to prison simply because they were homosexual. Some of you like me should just be greatful that you are the right way up and breathing!

12. Good points made on loss of income to the state. New Yorkers are usually very sharp about making a buck, and you would think that would apply even more to politicians! Unbelievably dumb vote, quite aside from the equality issue.

13. Brian Burton:
    | I’m 70 years old now and have seen a lot of changes for the
    | better since they stoped sending Homosexuals to prison simply
    | because they were homosexual. Some of you like me should just be
    | greatful that you are the right way up and breathing!

I’m astonished at that comment. When I was a tiny toddler I was warned by my mother (who was a well-informed nurse) that people like me were “locked up with mad people and have electricity put through their brains every day, for their whole life”. It traumatised me so thoroughly that it was 16 years before I found a way to cry again. But she was right, and the largest mental hospital in the country, where electro-convulsive therapy had actually been pioneered, was only 6 miles from our home, so her warning, and her later covering for me in many ways, saved my life. But I don’t see that as a reason to be grateful for what we have now. We (transsexual children and adults) are still in the power of the same sort of people who ran those wards, and some of them delight in inventing and spreading disgusting lies about us as part of their “academic freedom”, and messing with us in other ways.

We too can suffer from the denial of equal access to marriage, either during transition if we have married previously and are forced to divorce if we wish to have our changed sex legally recognised, or if we end up in same-sex partnerships later, as I have, and a high proportion of us do.

That’s still down to malevolent people exercising control over aspects of our lives that are none of their damn business. And we will not be free, and nowhere near safe, until it has all been swept away. Until that has been done there is nothing to be truly grateful for.