Uganda’s president claims that gays are ‘recruiting’

1. Pumpkin Pie 23 Nov 2009, 10:53pm

The premier concluded by urging his audience to say no to religious bigotry.

…What? Oh wait, I know this one!

Ladles and jellyspoons,
    I come before you to stand behind you,
    To tell you something I know nothing about

Next Thursday, which is Good Friday,
    There will be a ladies’ night for men only,
    Wear your best clothes if you haven’t any,
    And if you can come, please stay at home

Admission is free, so pay at the door,
    We’ll give you a seat, so you can sit on the floor
    But no matter were you sit,
    The boy in the gallery is sure to spit!

Yeah, something like that. There’s loads of different versions of that one. :)

Seriously, though, I hope this man gets assassinated soon. I’m mostly a pacifist and believe in using (proportionate) violence only for self-defense. Immoral rulers, though, are too powerful for mercy. These people can ruin lives with a sentence or the stroke of a pen. They are far too dangerous to be left alive while they still wield this power. Just a shame about the masses of guards and corrupt police and military though, isn’t it?

2. Why is it that every now and again, I can’t see the article but can see everything else on the page?

3. Well said, Pumpkin. I was too embarrassed to write something similar myself.

I am a pacifist as well, but you can’t play diplomacy with such a… beast. Sorry. There’s only so much a conversation can achieve. This man is too old to accept any new values. Or grasp a concept of human rights. I hope he dies soon.

4. Is this man just spouting crap again or does he believe we are recruiting?

It’s a shame someone can’t recuit him and send him to Iraq, where they have similar laws to his
    I would love to hear he was a closet gay and got exocuted

5. Here we go again, that old chestnut: “They’re recruiting!”
    Someone watched the video for “In The Navy” by the Village people and thought it was a hard hitting documentary again! “We want you, we want you, we want you as a new recruit”!
    I roll my eyes every time that straw man comes up. So we take perfectly happy straight people and force them to be gay against their will do we?
    The 3 lager trick notwithstanding, this egit is talking out of his ass!
    I’m perfectly happy with the gay population we already have, why would I bother ‘recruiting’ some guy who’s just going to treat me like mud on his shoe when he wakes up from his 3 lager induced hangover? I’d need to keep him perpetually drunk to get anything resembling a relationship out of it, and frankly it’s not worth the expense or the effort when I can get an ‘off the peg’ gay man that meets my needs.
    Someone tattoo across his forehead “Gayness is not a choice any more than skin tone”!

6. Couldn’t resist… here’s our recruitment vid!

7. Simon Murphy 24 Nov 2009, 11:25am

The gays from Europe are ‘recruiting’ Ugandans eh?

Well they came after the christian recruiters from Europe.

I guess the president of Uganda is too stupid, ignorant, backward and stupid to make that connection.

While this moron is in power I sincerely hope that not a single penny of UK aid money is being filtered through his government.

8. Watch out for them blacks. They’re recruiting. They just approach ordinary white folk, and with their silver tongues persuade them that black is best, and before you know it, they have curly hair and thick lips and going around singing Miriam Mkabo songs…

These practices must stop. If God had wanted us to be black, he would have arranged for it.

*removes tongue previously very heavily implanted in cheek*

9. Perfect evidence (should we need it) that colonisation and Christianisation, far from being “civilising” influences, have often had quite the reverse effect.

10. So European gay men are recruiting in Africa…I must say I thought is was the other way around. Am I the only white gay (older) gay guy to be pestered with young black African guys contacting them on gay dating sites? It seems African gays are desperate to escape their horrific lives in their home countries and from this report you can understand why

11. 2 mister Museveni, who did you make understand that god didn’t mean to create homosexual people? One of your homophobic advisors or god himself?
    If the latter, then you are an even bigger idiot then already assumed, and when one of your advisors told you so, then you mister president, are the dumbest fool that ever has live in Africa!
    But then, ever seen a bigger fool then the one who puts homosexual people to death because they are homosexual in AFRICA of all places, were soldiers are not only raping females on a daily basis, but are routinely raping males equally? All soldiers from Uganda then thus will be put to death by their own president!

Finally peace in Africa!

Email: aak@statehouse.go.ug

Press Secretary to the President
    P.O.Box 24594
    Tel: 256-41-343 320
    E-mail: press@statehouse.go.ug

14. Verity Manumit 24 Nov 2009, 7:20pm

Martin said: I’m recruiting! I only need three more to win an i-pod

15. “Martin, your levity is not fitting with the situation. We’re talking about people being arrested and executed here. Show some respect. ”

It’s a public blog mate and hes entitled to his opinion
    I actually thought it was funny

16. Verity Manumit 24 Nov 2009, 10:18pm

Tigra 07 said: “It’s a public blog mate and hes entitled to his opinion I actually thought it was funny ”

I never suggested he wasn’t entitled to his opinion. But a joke is not an opinion, nor does it seem appropriate in this context. We are talking about the execution of gays and lesbians, after all. His joke might be funny in a different context, but not here, at least to those of us who are still human.

I stand by my comment. He should show some respect.

17. Uganda has a pretty full history of human rights violations so this comes as no surprise me in the least – dark skin, dark thinking, dark deeds.

18. Verity Manumit 25 Nov 2009, 3:41pm

Rich said: Uganda has a pretty full history of human rights violations so this comes as no surprise me in the least – dark skin, dark thinking, dark deeds.

Rich, are you implying that dark-skinned people are more prone to homophobia and acts of violence than light-skinned people? If so, I don’t agree with that, and I think that is a pretty racist attitude. This kind of injustice is not conifined to black societies.

19. Verity: “Rich, are you implying that dark-skinned people are more prone to homophobia and acts of violence than light-skinned people?”

It’s not so much skin colour as Third-World Location = Third-World Education

20. Verity,you’re not even worth it

21. Vertiy Manumit 30 Nov 2009, 4:02pm

Martin said: “Verity,you’re not even worth it”

What is that supposed to mean? I’m not worth it because I think that your levity is in appropriate? How ridiculous is that! I assume you are gay since you are reading this site, so how is it then that you can have no respect or consideration for your fellow LGBT brothers and sisters when they are being persecuted and murdered? I’m not against humor, but there are times when it is not fitting, and this is one of those times. Show some maturity and humanity.

22. Vertiy Manumit 30 Nov 2009, 4:07pm

RobN said: Well I don’t hear Susan Boyle singing many songs about “Find da batty boys and set em on fire” very much. Draw your own conclusions. It’s not so much skin colour as Third-World Location = Third-World Education”

No you don’t hear Susan Boyle singing that, but I suspect that is because she is a decent person, not because she is white. White people in 1st world industrialized nations also commit homophobic crimes. Lately, London has been a perfect example of that. Though I do agree that it is probably more endemic in third world countries and that is, as you have suggested, probably do to a lack of education. However, I believe that religion and superstition play a larger role. But as we all know (I hope), religion thrives on ignorance anyhow.

23. Vertiy Manumit 30 Nov 2009, 7:16pm

Here are some addresses you can write to. These organizations are apparently the ones spearheading these human rights violations in Uganda:

Gay To Straight
    P.O. Box 901
    Bowie, MD 20718
    IHFinfo@changeispossible.com

Abiding Truth Ministries
    P.O. Box 2373
    Springfield MA 01101

Here is a Ugandan GLBT organization, if you wish to sign up or offer any support or help in any way: Sexual Minorities Uganda at sexualminoritiesuganda.org.

24. Verity Manumit 1 Dec 2009, 6:41pm

For anyone who lives in the US, here are some more addresses you can write to.

Jerry P. Lanier, U.S. Ambassador to the Republic of Uganda