Liverpool teenager hurt in homophobic attack

1. another homophobic attack – I hope homophobia dies soon

2. More eduction of your people about the LGBT Community MUST take priority. This is attack is unacceptable.

3. Sorry for the typo I mean ‘young’ people.

4. Simon Murphy 23 Nov 2009, 1:29pm

Liverpool sounds like a hateful dump.

Half the schools in Liverpool are faith schools. Liverpool has a very high catholic population so presumably many of these faith schools are catholic.

And we all know the official position of the catholic church on catholicism.

I’d recomment that these faith schools need to be monitored very closely in case they are inciting hatred against gay people.

They need to be shut down or the religious element removed from their curriculum if they are promoting homophobia

5. That’s a bit unfair Simon, there’s homophobic attacks ALL the time in our own capital city. Is London a hateful dump? Liverpool is very good at making headlines, it always has been, but people can’t seem to see past the negativity. Such as their ignorance.

6. The problem isn’t Liverpool, it’s a growing number of nasty, vicious homophobic young people and they are all over the UK. For all the talk about how the older generation are the most homophobic, all the abuse I get is from youths, ie 13-25. I have no idea what’s caused this recent growth in homophobia amongst young people, but I have my suspicions.

It’s pathetic that someone’s attacked for being “flamboyantly dressed”. What harm was that doing to anyone else?

7. I think we can look back to Mrs Thatcher and her famous ‘there is no such thing as society’ comment, along with her introduction of Section 28, if we want to see where some of this has spring from.

That mindset was prevalent in those days and filtered through society and the education establishment. The teenagers growing up in that time, the the me me me generation, are now parents themselves. Their children are the ones perpetrating these crimes and the ones with insufficient social skills to maintain a reasonable standard of behaviour in public.

We need to educate our youth about the diversity of humanity and adequately punish those who fail to appreciate the rights of others.

8. If this was happening to any other section of society, there would be uproar and action demanded from our local MPs/Police and this government! There is NOTHING! ABSOLUTLY NOTHING! Homophobia is spreading fast accross this land! Just how much more hatred does any section of our so called ‘democracy’ have to put up with??? Parhaps soon our community will SNAP! and we will actually have to fight back with equal vengence! No, it’s proberbly not the answer you want to hear….but if others are not prepared to act to help protect us going about our everyday lives, then i believe a physical rather than just a verbal headline reaction to this abuse,is getting closer and closer!

9. Nick, good points. I also think the problem is the internet – the spread of homophobia from other countries. Take a look at youtube or imdb to see the extent of homophobic (and racist) comments coming from young people who copy others and thus make homophobia ‘cool’ and anti-gay comments what you must say to be accepted.

Some of these children don’t even know why they’re saying these things. They pick it up and copy without thinking. Bit by bit the idea that LGBT people are ‘perfectly reasonable tagets’ gets into their heads, and, for a small minority, it’s a small step from verbal to physical abuse.

10. Sorry – ‘targets’

11. For what it’s worth, the only time I have been physically assaulted for my ‘perceived’ homosexuality was in Liverpool. The police did nothing about it, even though my friend ended up in hospital with a broken nose. They passed it off as ‘just some rowdy scallies out for some fun’. Ha Ha.
    Seems to me Liverpool is a uniquely awful place. The people who built all those imposing Victorian buildings are long gone leaving behind an race if semi literate pygmies. Someone needs to do the UK a favour and dig an almighty ditch and float the whole place out into the Irish Sea. Maybe Irish will have them? Or the Manx even?

12. Tony Williamson 23 Nov 2009, 6:31pm

Norman – the only uneducated pygmy is you.

You contradict your argument by saying that Liverpool is naturally homophobic/racist. Thats like saying that all gays are queens and all Irish are bad builders. I’ve been attacked in Soho and theres not a suspicion of a floppy hand with me. If Soho is the utopia of the gay world then anywhere is at risk. Don’t attack Liverpool and feed the stereotypes. You don’t work for The Sun do you?

13. I mentioned this before, and I know many will jump at me for saying it, but if you walk through a notoriously dodgy city like Liverpool dressed like a raging queen, you are just asking for trouble. I agree that by rights, everyone should be allowed to do so, but this is the real world, and real actions bring about real consequences.

Homophobia is not going to go away, no matter who squeals about it and how much legislation is introduced. It’s a sad fact of life, so don’t put yourself in the firing line by bringing attention to yourself.

14. Brian Burton 23 Nov 2009, 7:42pm

Lezabella on these threads and from Liverpool said both she and her girlfriend have had abuse shouted at them while out walking.

15. Brian Burton 23 Nov 2009, 7:46pm

RobN have you changed your handle to Rob_N?
    Well, If your Bob dosn’t give my Bob the Bob that your Bob owes my Bob. Then my Bob will give your Bob a Bob in the eye!

16. James, Birmingham 23 Nov 2009, 8:30pm

How typical of RobN to blame the victim. No you’re not asking for trouble if you dress flamboyantly, neither do rape victims invite attack by dressing provocatively! In any civilised society people should not be assaulted for free expression (clothes, speech, behaviour etc). You can’t stop hate crime by dressing down, trying to be anonymous or practising other forms of appeasement or concealment as advocated by RobN. This kind of submissive behaviour simply encourages bullying and oppression. The inverted homophobia, lack of courage and endless tired rhetoric of screwed up know-nothing, know-it-alls like RobN on this site is even more depressing than the recent spate of homophobic violence. I will be joining 1000s of LGBT people, publicly holding hands with my partner on the last Saturday of every month (and at other times!) to try to change these medieval attitudes and eventually make it safer to express ourselves without fear. See http://www.adayinhand.com/ for details. I challenge RobN to come out of his bunker and do the same!

17. @Norman – Yep, there is a macho yob culture in Liverpool, but please don’t separate Liverpool from the mainland just yet… some of us gays still live there.
    Personally, as much as I regret saying it, RobN is right, flagging up your sexuality around the streets of Liverpool is like being the only black guy at the KKK meeting.
    Straight acting isn’t so much a statement of individuality round these parts as a survival technique.

18. Vo Dong Cung 23 Nov 2009, 9:08pm

We need to raise our voice to accuse the conservative bigots, they are using children to attack us. Children now are their legal exempt-soldiers on they so-call the battle fiefd.

19. Pumpkin Pie 23 Nov 2009, 10:20pm

Just how incompetent is Liverpool’s police force? Or are they just apathetic because they know that every time they catch a thug their local judiciary will let them off for just trying to have some fun?

You know, people like this kid inspire me. I’m single, so I can’t do this holding hands thing, but I’m definitely going to start dressing flamboyantly more often. I want to be a part of this. I want to stand up to the society that oppresses us. I don’t care if I get attacked. I will punch, scratch, bite and gouge eyes to protect myself and my completely harmless way of life. Anything is better than sitting back and letting these thugs rule over us.

So bravo to this kid and all others like him. You inspire people and give them hope that they can brave enough to be themselves, too.

20. As Simon Murphy mentioned in another article on homophobia, the analogy is, you don’t leave your wallet on the bar when you go for a pee. It is a unfortunate, but only too real scenario that this is the world we live in, and one minimises the risks. If people like James seriously think walking around holding hands in a crowd in a built u area is going to make a flying rat’s arse bit of difference, he is sorely mistaken and should try doing it round my way at 1 in the morning. You wouldn’t get out alive.

Oh, and James, either I know it all, or I know nothing, I can’t be both.

21. I had the misfortune of spending a year in Liverpool during the late nineties, and sorry, it really is a backward dump. I’m not denying that there’s homophobia everywhere, but I think Liverpool has a real problem with this. It certainly doesn’t challenge the stereotype anyway.

22. Brian Burton 24 Nov 2009, 1:08pm

James Birmingham, It’s churlish to attack a straight arrow like RobN because you think your opinion is the only one that matters.

Well I don’t think you can blame the Police in Liverpool or anyone living in that great melting-pot of humanity that is Liverpool. Many different cultures have been nurtured by constant immigration since the early 1950s. They stick to what they know about how a man should behave, who they should Love and who they should hate. It’s as simple as that, Liverpool is not London and has not been close to the seat of Government as Londoners’ have always experianced. It seems here is a great lack of Love amongst this expanding population of ours. It is when we are wounded by our own hands or by the hands of others, that love should come to cure us-else what use is love at all?

23. I have relatives from Liverpool, and have visited the city several times a year for about 17 years.

I don’t think it’s a dump, nor do I think the people there are any more bigoted or uneducated than anywhere else. The snide, sterotyping comments on this thread are pretty pathetic. Homophobia is a NATIONAL problem. Blaming Liverpool is ridiculous.

24. Brian Burton 25 Nov 2009, 3:30pm

Tom, well said lad, more power to your elbow!