Dannii Minogue cleared over ‘homophobic’ X Factor joke

1. Brian Burton 23 Nov 2009, 2:57pm

“I hear the cotton-wood wispering above, Dannii, Dammii, Dannii’s in Love”….Bleeding storm in a Tea-cup!

2. Simon Murphy 23 Nov 2009, 3:03pm

I’m more appalled that people made the complaint in the 1st place.

She simply asked an openly bisexual singer why he needed to change the lyrics to a song, so he would be singing it to a woman not a man. There was no reason to do that.

I think her question was perfectly reasonable

3. Tut Tut making a joke = homophobic – those that complained should over themselves.

For the ones who complained about it being innapropriate in a ‘family’ show – get over yaselves!!

4. Brian Burton 23 Nov 2009, 5:12pm

Harvey, you sound ‘Geordie.’

5. I repeat from another comment page:- Once you start insulting people you’ve lost the arguement!

East Londoner Born & Bred!

6. “not likely to cause widespread offence, be understood by any young children who were watching ..”

We don’t wan’t young children to know about non-hetero relationships, do we? Perhaps they won’t grow up to be homophobic bigots.

7. Brian Burton 23 Nov 2009, 6:01pm

Harvey, And I’m a Durham coal-miner’s Son!

8. Sister Mary Clarence 23 Nov 2009, 6:33pm

Brian, that must be awful – I’m so sorry.

9. Brian Burton 23 Nov 2009, 8:15pm

Oh Sister Dear, Don’t be a snob!

10. I think it’s more homophobic that people cannot make a constructive and valid point without attracting a media storm and hundreds of complaints.
    People are so scared about mentioning sexuality and offending, that they go over the top in the other direction… it’s not much better!

11. People said she was homophobic? some of these people that are complaining, complained over the fact that sexuality was brought up on a “family” show, I myself would be unsure to call that homophobia but it is most certainly more homophobic then what she was, the sheer stupidity and ignorance of some people who disagree with a man singing about love to another man while having people dancing round in little clothes is fine (haven’t been able to watch X Factor this year so don’t know how true that point is).

12. Pumpkin Pie 23 Nov 2009, 10:34pm

I’ve got an answer for that. Two words: “Simon Cowell”. So nice that somebody stood up against his little money-making status quo. …And then got 4,000 complaints for it. It’s a funny old world, isn’t it?