Ben Elton makes gay joke about Prince Edward

1. How sad that someone could stoop so low just to promote a book..get a life Ben

2. Looks like BE is still stuck in the 80’s when he was famous.

I hope he can see the irony of him becoming the sort of comedian he was reacting against in the 80’s.

3. Oh dear, Mr Elton sounds as if he,s rather desperate for attention. He’s a “has been” i’m afraid and his comments appear to be totally inappropriate. An apology?? I doubt it!!

4. Bless ‘im, clearly hasn’t been in the limelight for a while and needs to get publicity somehow! Kinda feel sorry for him, maybe he’ll try again.

5. Desparate, sad old has been . . . are we so suprised that he should Stoop so “low” with 1980s crude innuedo that is well passed its sell buy date . . .

6. Who’s Ben Elton?

7. bloody annoyed 18 Nov 2009, 3:11pm

This moronic traitor should be publicly executed. Failing that he should be banned from this country for good. Britain is better off without scum like him.

8. Aussie Gay Activist Paul Mitchell 18 Nov 2009, 4:13pm

Bigot!

9. He claims he’s got plenty of names for the Royal Family.
    I’ve got just one for him: C*nt.

Like so many lefties on here still ranting on about Margaret Thatcher; Get a life dammit, that was 30 years ago!

“A sad little old man that now lives in Australia because they are the only people willing to laugh at his tired old material.”

10. Punting a new book around? Must be Christmas…

By the way, RobN, Just out of interest, but why does there have to be a time limit on discussing people who have had a profound effect on this country? Might just as well not talk about Cromwell or Churchill surely?

11. What appalling bad taste from an intelligent, articulate man.
    He ought to be thoroughly ashamed of himself.
    Who would want to book him for any gig following this outburst.
    “…Taken out of context….? How? The words are the same no matter what context they’re placed. Sorry, Ben, you’re in grave danger of falling on your own sword.

12. Brian Burton 18 Nov 2009, 8:45pm

Ben Elton should be indited for Treason!

13. Simon Murphy 18 Nov 2009, 10:05pm

I don’t see what the fuss is. He made some rude remarks about Liz Windsor and her dysfunctional brood, but so what. He doesn’t like the royals? Big deal. Why should he have to pretend that he does?

And the joke about Edward is clearly not homophobic because it is true. I remember the running joke about Edward’s sexuality. Elton’s words may be crude but that’s all.

14. ed phillips 19 Nov 2009, 12:27am

Sorry but when you attack the head of state you attack us all this is the queen and she is 82 years of age show some respect and as for you Simon have you seen Edward in bed with another man shame on you for jumping on the band wagon

15. “And the joke about Edward is clearly not homophobic because it is true.”

Ben Elton was trying to put down the royal family in whatever way he could.

16. Simon Murphy 19 Nov 2009, 12:56am

“Sorry but when you attack the head of state you attack us all this is the queen and she is 82 years of age show some respect”

But I don’t respect her.
    I’m sure she’s a nice enough person but I don’t feel any need to show respect for a head of state that I have no choice in selecting. If I knew her perhaps I’d respect her but I’m not going to automatically respect her for her ‘accident of birth’ position

” and as for you Simon have you seen Edward in bed with another man shame on you for jumping on the band wagon ”

Of course not. And neither has Ben Elton. But it’s not false for him to say that Edward was considered to be gay by large sections of the public. For years he was, and there was jokes about his sexuality in the press for years. Why should Ben Elton pretend that this was not the case. He didn’t say Edward was gay – just that everyone thought he was.

Crudely articulated by Elton perhaps? But not lies.

17. Why are people so surprised? It was only a few years ago that even the right-wing tabloids started turning on the Royal Family (although they reverted to type soon after – wonder what the Royals did to shut them up?). The monarchy is NOT universally popular in this country by any means. And in Elton’s defence, these comments are entirely consistent with what he’s said about them before; and he’s not the only comedian to knock them – remember Frankie Boyle’s joke on Mock The Week about the Queen being so old that her pussy is haunted? Made me laugh!

18. Brian Burton 19 Nov 2009, 8:48am

Simon Murphy will jump on to any anti-British bandwagon, so why dose he live here? We, sure as hell don’t want him!

19. I totally concur with Brian. If you don’t like it here, you know the alternative.

AngieRS: There is no reason why one can’t discuss historical issues, but Ben Elton has been coming out with that “Missus Thatch” patter since she DID have an effect on British politics.

20. Simon Murphy 19 Nov 2009, 12:56pm

No 18: Brian: “Simon Murphy will jump on to any anti-British bandwagon, so why dose he live here?”

That is quite blatantly not true. Then again you believe in ‘god’ so logic is obviously not part of your mental armoury.

To be anti-monarchy is not the same as being anti-British and surveys repeatedly how that about 30% of the population would like to be rid of the queen and for Britain to transition to a democracy.

Being disgusated by religion is a very British trait – only about 20% of people are religious. You are religious Brian. Why the hell do YOU live in Britain then?

21. Simon Murphy 19 Nov 2009, 12:58pm

By the way I do like living in Britain but I despise the royal family.

18 million Britons agree with me.

I wonder what type of Daily Mail solution RobN (Disgusted of Pink News) and Brian Burton (Jesus-freak) has for these 18,000,000

22. Brian Burton 19 Nov 2009, 1:50pm

Simon Murph,
    The point is we don’t need an itinerant Irishman to tell me what I need in my own Land, You would not accept advice on how your Country should be run so your constant insults to our head of state is not required or welcome. In fact you should keep your big mouth shut and give your Arse a chance sometime!

23. Brian Burton 19 Nov 2009, 1:56pm

Simon Murphy,
    Telling me to leave my own land is priceless comming from an unwanted itinerant like you, typical Irish logic eh?

24. “I just like to think most decent comics are generally topical and keep up with current affairs, not continue to rehash the same old bollocks which wasn’t even funny when it was topical.”

Talking of rehashing the same old bollocks, some comics get million of pounds to do just that.

25. Point taken, RobN.

26. Disgusted of Pink News 20 Nov 2009, 1:23am

Simon Murphy (The man that manages to be a mouthpiece and an ar*ehole simultaneously):
    Given the opportunity, I would try to find a big enough wall to have all of you lined up and shot for treason, but then you and the other 18m weren’t probably born here in the first place.

27. Bishop Ioan 23 Nov 2009, 10:34am

Probably get decked for this (nowhere I haven’t been before) but I would have more respect for the House of Windsor if it was not German in origin…as for the Queen’s brood, they ARE disfunctional, sad to say. One should expect somewhat better public behaviour from those whom the public supports. The jokes about Prince Edward being gay go way, way back, and I must admit, are quite stale. I would hope for fresher materiel (hint, Ben: Camilla, perhaps?).

28. The C*nt of Monte Crisco 23 Nov 2009, 12:45pm

Ben Elton is a twat! Always has been, always will be! I loathe him so much that whenever I watch The Young Ones I have to fast forward any scenes with him in!

29. Spiritbody 3 May 2011, 4:03pm

I dont even understand why this is a story(?) Ben Elton badmouths the Royals and goverment? erm . . yeah- its Ben Elton. Thats what he does! Thats what he’s always done! I agree that he hasnt been as anarchic as his youth for a while, but he still managed to upset you lot. Im sure he’s very happy that he can still stir it up. Shame he was forced to apologise. Id have more respect for him if he stood by his comments. I agree with most of em.