Remembering our dead – Trans Day of Remembrance

1. Lovely article – very informative, moving and inspiring. See you next Saturday at the 52 Club with lots of friends!

2. This is the one time I wish I was a londoner. As a gay man, I am sick and tired of the active hostility LGB people show towards trans people, arguing that they don’t belong in our community. Anyone, even someone that is straight, who expresses himself in a way that defies the gender binary (and that includes every single gay person) deserves a place in our community and protection from discrimination. In the wise words of Cher, “I do not understand, but I will strive to be understanding”.

3. Sarah Brown 16 Nov 2009, 4:43pm

Thank you for a moving and well written article.

4. Jen Marcus 16 Nov 2009, 4:54pm

Thank You, Tessa, for this wonderful, well written and cogent article!

5. The current list of murders recorded by TDOR available on this link: http://www.transgenderdor.org/?page_id=192

The recorded number currently stands currently at 537

Dorset Gardens, Kemptown, Brighton. UK
    —————————————————————
    Manchester
    Sunday, November 22, 2009
    Beginning at 3.45pm.
    service by the Beacon of Hope,
    in Sackville Gardens, just off Canal Street, Manchester.
    ——————————————————–
    Full details: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=170672142075

—————————————————————-
    Edinburgh, Scotland

Sat, 21 November, 17:00 – 18:00
    MCC Edinburgh at AUC, 41 George IV Bridge

———————————————————-
    Full list of events around the world

6. oh for a preview screen or edit button :)

7. Matt Sephton 16 Nov 2009, 6:41pm

Many thanks for this article. I look forward to attending the vigil with others on Sunday in Manchester.

8. OrtharRrith 16 Nov 2009, 6:49pm

Thankyou for writing this, means a lot.

9. Liz Church 16 Nov 2009, 7:20pm

Glasgow TDoR, Thursday 19th November, GoMA, Royal Exchange Square, 1pm and 6pm. I hope to be there.

Thank you for writing this article, Tessa. I would like to add that there is a very useful Facebook group called Trans Media Watch which contains links to many recent articles of trans interest, good, bad and indifferent.

10. Oxford TDOR
    Date: Friday 20th November 2008 at 7.15pm for 7.30pm
    @: St Columba’s United Reformed Church, Oxford (off Alfred St, near All Bar One)

11. Excellent article.

12. Just passing this on from TransForum and TREC.

There are two events in Manchester for Transgender Day of Rememberance.
    The city Council have got involved and are holding a Civic Reception at the Town Hall Annexe of Fiday 20th November, the actual day of Rememberance
    at 6:30 pm

The candle lit vigil will be in Sackville Gardens by the junction of Canal street and Sackville Street, Manchester M1 3LZ (Where the Rembrandt Hotel is)
    on sunday 22nd November.
    As in previous years, please assemble at 3:45pm.
    The One Minute silence and reading of Names of the deceased will take place at 4pm by the Beacon of Hope.
    This will take place by candlelight so please bring a candle or lantern if you are able to.
    The vigil will last for approximately one hour, and will be followed by an informal gathering at Taurus bar (1 Canal Street) if people wish.
    Both Sackville Gardens and Taurus are fully accessible, although at Taurus we may use a private function room down one flight of stairs.

All are welcome; please feel free to bring a reading, flowers or another appropriate tribute.

13. theotherone 17 Nov 2009, 1:56am

I hope to get to the event here in Edinburgh

14. Pumpkin Pie 17 Nov 2009, 3:17am

A few weeks before the above programme went on air, the tabloids gorged themselves in a feeding frenzy on the stories of a couple of children transitioning in school. The articles implied a breakdown in society, the teaching system and parental responsibility because, heaven forbid, trans children were encouraged to be themselves and express their gender identity.

Brilliant. I wish I’d come up with such a snappy rebuke when those salacious stories were going around!

15. Its just a word, it cant kill you!
    by Abi Christopher
    ==================
    You beat me,
    with a unkind thought.

You stabbed me,
    with ignorance.

You shot me,
    with a stare.

You killed me,
    by calling me it.

You murdered me,
    by calling me him.

You did not mean it,
    but you made it OK.

16. Tessa a great and enlightening article,Pink News-why doit take a very special day in the calender, or a murder for Trans and other Gender Variant people to get reconized, more articles are needed to enlighten the world on trans issues and abuse and attack against them