Archbishop of Liverpool commended for support of gay vigil

1. Robert, ex pat Brit 16 Nov 2009, 2:55pm

To be applauded. So what has the Cardinal said about this?

2. Simon Murphy 16 Nov 2009, 3:46pm

Ther catholic church is a major promoter of homophobic hatred campaigning tirelessly to encourage discrimination and bigotry.
    This bishop’s words are kind. I wonder will he go as far to condemn the vicious hatred supported by pope Ratzinger?

3. If he condemned pope Ratzinger he’d be retired within five minutes and a Ratzinger puppet put in his place. Let him spread the message in his own way and maybe it’ll filter up to the top in time. He’s not the only one. A lot of parish priests know they can’t just spout dogma and recognise the realities of this world. give them all a chance.

And, yes, I know I’m going to get jumped on for saying that. I’m not rising to it. Simon, you know perfectly well where I stand on this. So don’t let’s get it started. And anyone else who wants a go, give it a rest.

4. If a bishop or a priest said that in our country, i think he would be kicked out of the Church, sadly.

Applause to Archbishop Kelly.

5. Jen Marcus 16 Nov 2009, 5:25pm

We have to give Archbishop Kelly credit for his courageous support of our community in light of the contrary, unloving and unchristian teachings and doctrines of his superiors.

6. I’m with Rose on this one, if he directly challenged the boss someone else would replace him within weeks so within the confines of his vocation that’s the best we can hope for from him. Better for us to have someone spreading a message of tolerance in his position.
    And brave of him to speak out in such a way, shows that they’re not all homophobic fundie nutjobs.

7. Liza, what country is that?

8. Its a bit rich for ANYONE from the catholic church to say this. They support a church which gives comfort to queer bashers worldwide through their deeds and words. They have campaigned vigourously against every pro gay law introduced in the UK including hate crimes. He is part of the problem, if he is serious let him leave the catholic church. A TOTAL HYPOCRITE!!!!!

9. Jean-Paul Bentham 16 Nov 2009, 7:38pm

“Let us pray this clear stand by Archbishop Kelly will give leadership to Roman Catholic institutions far and wide.”

Sorry, I’ve been around the RCC long enough to recognize the odor of manure when I smell it.

Kelly is doing his bit to roll out the red carpet for the upcomimg papal visit to the UK, and to give ben16 the LEADERSHIP he doesn’t desrve.

This vigil would never have to take place if the RCC hadn’t promoted homophobia since Paul of Tarsus put a pen to paper.

Outdated and crytalized religious doctrines are the very definition of evil, period.

But I ain’t bitter.

10. Jean-Paul Bentham 16 Nov 2009, 7:41pm

Radical extremist? Moi? I come by it honestly; I was brought up asa catholic.

11. Rev. Sr. Maria Renate FCSF 16 Nov 2009, 7:50pm

It has taken a high profile vigil on the streets of Liverpool to enitiate a response from Patrick Kelly. What about Michael Causer? He lost his life through a homophobic attack! why no expressions of outrage then? There was no hesitation on the part of Bishop +James to open up the Anglican Cathedral for a memorial service.
    I have emailed this man on a regular basis regarding LGBT discrimination within the Roman Catholic Church, all to no avail. His media advisor has done his home work on this one. Sorry +Patrick, as a priest deeply invovled with the LGBT community of Liverpool, I say, too little, too late!

12. Jean-Paul Bentham 16 Nov 2009, 7:59pm

The Canadian Episcopate has refused to answer any correspondance on the subject of homophobia since the RCC betrayed the Oecumenical Council of Vatican II.

13. Brian Burton 16 Nov 2009, 8:23pm

This Archbishop is making a senceable gesture Religion apart, he should be applauded for it, if he had said nothing, only then should he be critisized. Simon Murpy (Atheist Pope) can’t even say anything nice about a Clergyman saying anything nice!

14. @Rose: I’m from Slovenia. Clergy truly hates gay people (and us who are in favor of gay rights) here. (well, not just here). The gay adoption legislation is considered to pass soon, but Church blatantly campaigns against it. They lie big time.

But, what else is new? :-))))

15. Jean Paul and others, yes, I understand your point of view. But the Catholic church isnt’ going to disappear overnight, whatever the predictions of Nostrodamus say. So wouldnt’ it be better to change it from within?

16. I think the Archbishops contradictions are useful . . . they introduce a grey area which not only muddies the water, but also highlights the operation of selective homophobia.

17. Jean-Paul Bentham 17 Nov 2009, 12:17am

Hi Rose;

When I was a practicing catholic (I did study for the priesthood), I belonged to DigntyCanada for almost 20 years, an organisation whose objective it was to update the sexual theology of the RCC from within, using the diplomatic approach valued by the Vatican and the Episcopate.

There were hundreds of us and every Canadian province (10) had a chapter. We also had a chaplin.

Today, hardly two chapters are active, and the membership is down to four or five. Why?

Because the Canadian bishops file our letters inder “t” for ‘trashcan’ and we never, not ever, received an answer.

I was also a member of Dignity USA where the real brains are; there are more women with PhD’s in Theology in Dignity USA than there are bishops in the world, not to mention exceptional Dominican and Jesuit theologians, all except one (Daniel Helminiak) silenced by the Vatican.

Their discussions groups are very active and challemging and young gay catholics would certainly receive the support they deserve from DignityUSA.

As for me, I have lost my faith and I am currently struggling to free myself from the clutches of christianity and religion in general. Things may have been different if Vatican II had received the respect the Holy Spirit supposedly deserves, but I ain’t got time to cry over split milk…and even less to listen to right wing blithering idiots who have reintergrated bishop Lefevbre’s bunch of heretics back into the RCC. I could go on and on, but what’s the point?

On the other hand, as it is stated in the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights, every human being has the right to practice the religion of her/his choice….and I enjoy having freedom of speech and thought.

And again I repeat that what the UK needs is not so much vigils as legalized pepper spray.

18. A bit like taking coal to Newcastle as they used to say.

19. This is a kind gesture, and should be applauded.

I mean not to piur cold water on this, but it doesn’t say much for Christianity when one has to go out of the way to applaud a Christian for making such a statement, or indeed, that it is news.

That said, thanks Archbishop, for showing the solidarity.

20. Rev. Sr. Maria Renate FCSF 17 Nov 2009, 12:20pm

It is blatently obvious to me, that those who are writing in defense of +Patrick’s piece meal statement, are unaware of the fact that he toes the party line in respect of Gay clergy, they and their ministry becme history. So how one can applaud this hypocrisy is completely beyond understanding; and we all know what the Carpenter from Nazerath had to say about hypocrites!

21. Simon Murphy 17 Nov 2009, 2:28pm

Kelly’s words are a nice gesture, but they are an empty gesture.

The catholic cult are still claiming exclusion from equality legislation; are actively campaigning against legal recognition of gay relationships; are supporting genocide in Africa by opposing condom use and have still not accepted serious responsibility for the ritual sexual abuse of thousands of children in their care (or for protecting the paedophiles in their midst)

The fact that Kelly said some kind words does not alter the fact that he is a member of a disgustingly evil, bigotted cult. And to be grateful to him for his words is absurd. How damaged would one’s self-esteem have to be to be grateful for crumbs.

The catholic cult is rotten to the core. The fact that some of the clergy are slightly better does not alter the innate sickness at the heart of the religion

22. Jean-Paul Bentham 17 Nov 2009, 4:29pm

People do have a right to their opinions; that is not my point.

However, I do agree wholeheartedly with Rev. Sr. Maria Renate, FCSF, who very obviously has a keen understanding of the undercurrents and thre agenda of the business known as the RCC.

In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me if Kelly showed up with the collection baskets from his church.

A similar gesture from a member of the royal family would be more pertinant if you ask me.

23. Father Andrew Gentry FCSF 17 Nov 2009, 7:57pm

For Archbishop Grace Kelly to say that he is against hate is like George Bush saying he is against war! You cannot be a part of an institution that has systematicly oppressed and condemned GLBT folke and expect anyone who is is contact with reality to accept as genuine your comments. After all Jimmy Swaggart cried copious crocodile tears of “repentance” after being caught in a hotel room with a prostitute!

24. Jean-Paul Bentham 18 Nov 2009, 3:07pm

Father Andrew Gentry FCSF:

Spot on, and we are living in a world where deceits of all kinds are common coinage. Googy-two-shoes believes it all, without any critical thinking, heaven forbid.

25. Jean-Paul Bentham 18 Nov 2009, 4:23pm

For anyone still entertaining hope for the future of christianity, ask the archbishop of Liverpool to comment on this recent story:

hxxp://www.pinknews.co.uk/2009/11/18/scottish-presbytery-broke-gay-moratorium-by-accepting-gay-man-for-training/

26. Brian Burton 18 Nov 2009, 10:14pm

Thank God for the British Clergy. They provide a good melitng-pot of opinion. All those who would wish even God to dissapear, they just don’t know history. There was even Christians before Christ. To know this, you would have had to dive into the blue waters of beauty and taste a well undefiled truth, rather than the oblivion the non-believer is headed for, and more rappidly than they know, and simpley bask in their own substantial stupidity.