Gwyneth Paltrow to appear in film about trans painter

1. theotherone 10 Nov 2009, 1:20pm

He looke dfor a feminine man and has now cast a woman?

ARE THERE NO FVCK1NG TRANNIES OUT THERE? ARE WE TO DISGUSTING TO HAVE ON SCREEN?

GO FVCK YOURSELF TOMAS ALFREDSON.

2. @theotherone

Over the top much? Jesus, calm down!

3. theotherone 10 Nov 2009, 6:46pm

I’m angry at yet another film featuring a Trans person that is cast without even a thought towards casting a Trannie in the roll.

If a film featuring a Black person or Asian was cast with white people wearing make-up there would be an outcry but it’s OK for people to ‘black up’ to play trannies.

4. Simon Murphy 10 Nov 2009, 8:46pm

Theotherone – I can understand that this casting decision ie Nicole Kidman playing a transwoman may be frustrating.

But Nicole Kidman and Gwyneth Paltrow are A-list actresses. Is there a trans-actress who is as high profile as either Kidman or Paltrow. With the cast involved this seems like a fairly high-budget movie which may explain the casting decision – they will want recognisable names which will sell tickets.

Secondly would a trans actress really want to draw attention to her birth-sex in a movie.

I think it is a good sign that this movie is getting made. It’s not perfect but don’t you think a positive portrayal of a transwoman on screen is a good thing?

5. I’ve read the book and I’d rather they made it with non-famous actors. Sometimes too much celebrity can over-power the story.

I thought Einar/Lili was intersex?

6. theotherone 10 Nov 2009, 9:09pm

A positive portal by a non-trans person?

How would you feel if only Straight men where allowed to play poofs?

BTW: there are Trans actresses in hollywood but they never get work. Instead the Public gets a nice little suffering trannie/ trannies are too disgusting to appear on screen double bill of Discourse.

7. theotherone 10 Nov 2009, 9:11pm

alas Iris it was decided, it would seem, at an early stage, to make this a ‘Liberal’ movie for a Mainstream Liberal audience so they can laugh at the end when the Trannie dies.

The director didn’t even look for Trannie or Intersex people for the roll.

8. It appears to be par for the course that Transsexuals should neither be seen nor heard and we wouldn’t draw the cinema audiences because we are an embarassment !! As some wag critic once wrote..”It takes a woman to do a mans job”.. GRRRRRR !!

9. Simon Murphy 11 Nov 2009, 1:06am

“How would you feel if only Straight men where allowed to play poofs?”

I would be outraged if straight actors were only allowed to play poofs.

Thank heavens all the high profile, gay characters in movies have been played by gay men.

Tom Hanks in Philadelphia?
    Robin Williams in The Birdcage?
    Al Pacino in Cruising?
    Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal in Brokeback Mountain?
    Sean Penn in Milk?

It’s a movie. If the likes of Gwyneth and Nicole are in this movie then it will reach a wider audience which is what the producers want. They’re running a business.

I wonder if you’d be so annoyed if it was a man playing Nicole kidman’s role?

10. theotherone 11 Nov 2009, 1:17am

yes I would.

By not allowing Trans actors/ actresses to play ourselves we become something on the outside of representation, the outside of humanity.

But then it’s not that Trans actors/ actresses don’t get work playing ourselves, they don’t get work.

Oh Paul Morrisy/ john Waters where are you when we need you?

11. Mihangel apYrs 11 Nov 2009, 8:09am

theotherone et al:

Hollywood will never make anything that will frighten the straights: they’re in it to make money, so in sexuality issues they will always play safe (the US and UK are still sooo uptight)

When Hollywood casts actors according to skill rather than “safety” we will all have arrived.

12. “alas Iris it was decided, it would seem, at an early stage, to make this a ‘Liberal’ movie for a Mainstream Liberal audience so they can laugh at the end when the Trannie dies”

I understand your anger and upset, theotherone. I think it’s a symptom of the enforced straightness of Hollywood. Think of all the gay actors who aren’t out because they feel their careers would end. Think of all the films about gay men where it’s made ‘OK’ by casting a straight man (“See! They’re just pretending…”).

If they had cast someone who could properly communicate Einar/Lili’s feelings I’d have been happier, but I can’t imagine Nicole doing that. (When I say that I’m thinking of the film XXY which I thought was very good).

13. Start making movies!!!! My mate made a zombie film for £45 & it’s now for sale in sainsbury’s, HMV, all over the net etc. I understand your anger so use your passion – dont waste it! x

14. theotherone 11 Nov 2009, 12:04pm

charlene: as soon as I get a camera I will.

A zombie movie for £45? What;s it called?

15. theothrone: There are lots of trans films out there with trans actors (there’s been a trans film fest for over a decade now), but Hollywood, as people have been pointing out to you, likes to use well known stars for its movies. So when hollywood makes a film about a gender variant person (Wegener was believed to be intersex, as well as trans) it’s a day to celebrate — especially when oscar winning, respected actors play the role & thus bring lots of mainstream attention to the topic. And mainstream attention, as we’ve seen again & again, is what brings acceptance. it seems like you just WANT to be angry, when really you should be grateful. If you do any kind of reseearch, you’ll see trans people have advanced more quickly than any other marginalized group in terms of getting rights & recognition. More gratitude to your elders for getting you to this point would be good for your mental & physical health. I’m intersex, fyi.

16. Turn the argument on it’s head, and say that only heterosexual actors can play heterosexual characters and see where that gets you.

Personally I am glad that the likes of Tom Hanks et al made those films because they did bring in a wider audience, and thereby raised awareness of some of the issues faced by their characters.

Yes it would probably have been better to have a gay actor playing the roles, but would the films have been as widely seen? I somehow doubt it. The result? Less debate around the issues raised by the film.

I thoroughly enjoyed Transamerica and gained a huge insight into gender dysphoria as a result of it. I somehow doubt that it would have been shown in a local cinema had it not been for Felicity Huff in the starring role.

I am confident that Nicole Kidman will do an admirable job, and the release of the film will see trans issues discussed by those that see the film. I would also guess that that audience would be wider for Nicole and Gwynneth that it would be for Candis Cayne and Caroline Cossey, resulting in a far narrower group of people who will take away the trans message of the film.

17. Simon Murphy 14 Nov 2009, 4:24am

No 16: “Turn the argument on it’s head, and say that only heterosexual actors can play heterosexual characters and see where that gets you.”

James Dean
    Greta Garbo
    Marlene Dietrich
    Montgomery Clift
    Rock Hudson
    Barbara Stanwyck
    Tyrone Power
    Cary Grant

18. Catherine Alexander 14 May 2013, 10:58am

Why can’t a trans* actress play the role?
    They exist.