Trans woman murdered in Kentish Town, London

1. Christina Engela 9 Nov 2009, 8:22pm

Just a few questions about this:

2) Bearing this in mind, was it reported because she was a sex-worker, or is it just assumed that because she was transsexual that she was a sex-worker?

3) This is the second transwoman murdered in the space of a month in the same city – is there a connection other than the two women were both reported as being trans and sexworkers, and strangled?

4) Taking these two crimes into consideration with all the other hate crimes against GLBTI people reported in the UK over the past year or so, I notice, from half a world away, a dramatic increase in such crimes or incidents reported on Pink News. What is being done about it by the authorities?

2. Jean-Paul Bentham 9 Nov 2009, 9:01pm

Trans should carry pepper spray, or better yet a loaded pistol. And screw the law, which does absolutely nothing to protect the LGBT’s anyway.

I’d rather be alive in prison than dead on a marble slab….any day.

This is gettting ridiculous.

My sympathy for the victim’s family and friends,

3. Another one for the list :(
    *rip*

“1) I am interested to know how it has been reported the victim is a transwoman, because of the UK law that protects this sort of information, even of dead transsexual people.”
    Dose the information protection act count if the person in question is deceased? Dose the gender recognition act?

It may be that this information (and her position as a sex-worker) were released in order to further the investigation (i.e. someone might not know her by name, but be awhere of a relevent incident occouring to a transsexual sexworker).

4. Liz Church 10 Nov 2009, 7:29am

We’ve pulled this from all the trans sites to stop the tabloids from picking up on it.

You are in breach of the PCC’s code of practice. Her gender is not relevant to the story. Please pull it before we get another trannyfest.

5. Mihangel apYrs 10 Nov 2009, 8:26am

without her “trans” element she’s “just” another murdered prostitute.

While the tabloids may sensationalise it, I think it important that LGBTQI(XYZ) people know what’s going on.

If trans people are being targetted in certain circumstances it is valid comment, as it is when gay men are murdered etc. Without information we can’t formulate conclusions or responses, and it is pointless to hide the facts from us while the redtops will have the info anyway

6. poeticlicense 10 Nov 2009, 9:52am

Even if she was a sex worker and the story gives no back up evidence to suggest she was. Do we need it released by the police to the press to report with impunity. Just like the Kelly Telesford case in 2007 that the police predujiced the case with this.

What value have transwomens life got, according to western society its nil, i have survived many attacks on my person in my real life test but i could easily have been a statistic.

Oh and Jean-Paul Bentham, in the UK if we carry anything on our person which the police believe is a dangerous weapon its us who are in trouble, not the people we wish to defend ourselves from.

7. Bob Hodgson 10 Nov 2009, 10:08am

The police had been careful *not* to release the information about Destiny’s gender history as at least at the early stages of the investigation it did not seem relevant – the information has come from sources other that the police.

8. Jessica Geen 10 Nov 2009, 10:47am

As the story states, her occupation was confirmed to us by police and police sources confirmed her gender identity. They are keeping an open mind in terms of motive and lines of enquiry.

9. Where I work our Diversity Week this year is based on LGBT’s. I would like to create a list of all LGBT people murdered in 2009. Can you help me out. So far I have: Gerry Edwards, Andrea Wadell, Ian Baynham, John Terry & Detiney lauren.

10. theotherone 10 Nov 2009, 1:17pm

this is worrying: two Transwomen murdered in their flats within a relatively small Geographical area. I find this incredibly worrying.

My sympathies to the family and friends of this person

11. Now the story is out because of the actions of the Met police, we cant put it back into the bottle however much we try.

The officers or staff of the Met police have broken the law for releasing information that is protected under the gender recognition act. Now the man accused could use this in his defence and get the charges dropped against him because of a police procedural error by the Met.

It is the shame of our society that so many trans people end up as sex workers, because of the lack of employment opportunities that stems from the discrimination trans people face in every day life.

12. OrtharRrith 10 Nov 2009, 2:24pm

This is horrifying news and a worry to all Trans people. My heart goes out to her family and friends. I’m not sure “hiding” this from the press does any good. I’d rather see this on the BBC news at 6 for example where the general public can be made aware of the dangers we face. Yes there are transphobic bigots that will appear out from under their rocks and their pools of slime, but they’ll always exist unless we educate people, much like people are made aware of racism when it rears its head.
    Yes of course it should be reported proparly, use the correct pronouns, be unbigotted and not include Destiny’s former name; but it should be reported, or no one will know the dangers we face – including those of us that wouldn’t other wise learn of it.

13. Jean-Paul Bentham 10 Nov 2009, 4:35pm

poeticlicense (6):

My point is that whether or not you carry a tube of pepper spray in your purse, you are in trouble anyweay.

If having a loaded pistol in your home to propect yourself from intruders is illegal in the UK, you may as well leave your doors wide open.

A sex worker is no less of a human being than an archbishop.

You people would rather rant about a crime after the fact than prevent it. British law is in a tailspin. Why is that?

14. I’d rather be dead than a trans person in prison.
    @Jean-Paul Bentham

15. Jean-Paul Bentham 10 Nov 2009, 5:45pm

Kit:

If you are living in a country that would emprison you for carrying a tube of pepper spray, you need to do one of two things:

1) change the law
    2) emigrate

The police are using scare tactics on you; and who would prove that you used pepper spray? Do you think that those who attacked you would go crying to the police if you sprayed them? By the time they could open their eyes, you would be long gone, honey, and more importantly, safe and alive.

Either way, it’s risky business.

Ever hear the expression “street smarts”?

I’m advocating self-defensive, that’s all.

16. theotherone 10 Nov 2009, 9:14pm

JP: street smarts allow you to use anything you may be carrying or have in your bag as a weapon to ward off attackers. You don’t need pepper spray and you most definitely DO NOT need to be a Trannie going through the legal system.

17. OrtharRrith 10 Nov 2009, 10:39pm

Please don’t use the term “tranny”. It’s used by bigotted newspapers and transphobic members of the public to shock and offend people. It is, as far as I am concerned, the same as calling a gay man a “fag” or a black man a “nigger”.
    That said you are correct, carrying a concealled weapon is not a good idea. I travel the country and whilst I am always aware of the danger I don’t carry a weapon – pepper spray or anything (although I did study martial arts a few years back). I have my phone where I can get it and I judge each situation and decide if it’s safe enough before entering it. I certainly don’t hide away from it though – I’m prepaired to do what ever I have to in order to survive should things go badly.

18. to Jessica Green: To see a large, horribly large, list of trans-folk who have been murdered just for being trans, go to http://TransgenderDOR.org/ .

19. Thank you everyone for your sympathy comments, I am destiny’s cousin and our family is going through a very hard time. please we would appreciate if everybody could spread the news across the internet as it has only appeared in small columns and briefly on the internet we are pushing for it to be on a big news channel with interviews. if anyone has any information please let somebody know or ring anonymously to crime stoppers…we want to find the bastard who done this! a man was arrested but released on bail. If somebody could also tell me the name of the other trans gender woman murdered that would be helpful. thank you

20. Eagle the militant American Indian-Jew 11 Nov 2009, 2:19am

Gays, transsexuals and lesbians the world over need to carry pepper-spray with them as its cheap (under five bucks online)and handy. Then when a bunch of no good varmints and gutter trash attack, take out your spray and hit em dead on and get away.

21. Jean-Paul Bentham 11 Nov 2009, 1:07pm

Agreed 100%. You British are civilized where you should be brutal; and brutal where you should be civilized, e.g. Equality Bill.

And the coppers don’t give a fig, either way!

Otherwise a murderous bastard (male or female) wouldn’t be reading these comments with a smirk on his/her face, and free as a bird to kill a Trans again.

I happen to love Trans; they are decent human beings who have been through more misery than we can even suspect, and they deserve our respect, and certainly our protection.

22. Jean-Paul Bentham 11 Nov 2009, 1:13pm

Kit (14):

You said:

“I’d rather be dead than a trans person in prison.
    @Jean-Paul Bentham”

Go ahead and put obstacles in your way, as if you can read the future.

23. Dear R* (comment 19),
    May I offer my deepest sympathies to you, Destiny’s family and friends. We will remember her at the Trans Day of Remembrance event on Saturday 21 November at 52 Gower Street, London, from 2pm. Family and friends will be welcome at this event to remember all of the trans people who have been murdered.

The trans woman most recently murdered before Destiny was Andrea Waddell.

With sympathy and best wishes,
    Christina

24. Jean-Paul Bentham 11 Nov 2009, 2:55pm

Love you, Christina, but you know that, don’t you.

25. R* my sympathies and respects to you and your family. Many of us are thinking of you at this time. I will make sure our local LGBT youth group knows and remembers your loss.

26. Antonia Silver Shadow 13 Nov 2009, 12:24am

RIP, beautiful.

Antonia Silver Shadow

27. I have just spoken to the Police in charge of this investigation. There has been what they refer to as a ‘significant development’ i.e. arrest. The Police are appealing for witnesses or for anyone who was in the area or knew Destiny to come forward. I would like to add that if you want to pass on any information in confidence or anonymously you can call us (Camden LGBT Forum) on 020 7470 8760 or speak to us at the Trans Remembrance Day event mentioned in other posts.

28. a drear old friend 13 Nov 2009, 9:53pm

Does anyone know if and wher ther is a funerall?

29. Dear R*, cousin of Destiny, I extend to you and your family my sincerest condolences. We will remember her at the Glasgow Transgender Day of Remembrance next week. I believe the name of the other transwoman who you enquired about was Andrea Wadell. If I can assist in any way, please let me know. I can put you in contact with Trans Media Watch who have good connections with major news outlets. This will probably give you the best chance of fair representation in the press. Sincerely, Liz Church, dailyturnout@googlemail.com

30. I’m not sure why my email address was garbled. dailyturnout at googlemail dot com

31. Michelle Senior 14 Nov 2009, 10:43am

Good bye to my friend. You had terrible tragedy in your life and bore it well. I will always miss your kindness. You were thoughtful, reflective and hugely gracious.
    To your family: Please know that Destinys’ friends loved her, and that we are with you in your grief.

32. I knew Destiny for quite a long time and in shock to hear what happened.
    My sincere condolences to her family and friends.
    Sincerely Roberta

33. we are all going to the rememberence day . her life should be a inspiration to us all. a strong woman with a misson.. we will all miss her. she allways made me smile … rest in peace
    the bbc is reporting this,,,

A 21-year-old man has been charged with the murder Leo Fyle, of Catford, south-east London will appear at City of Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Monday.

Mr Fyle, who lives on Laleham Road, is unemployed.

34. Trish (the maid) 16 Nov 2009, 10:15pm

I was so sorry to hear about her death, i call her a very dear friend. we spoke on the phone just one 3 weeks ago.. i cant belive this…