Gay man attacked in Ilford, London

1. The Halcyon 4 Nov 2009, 12:10pm

The recent spate of homophobic attacks in the UK has made me wonder – are people taking out their frustrations about the general economic situation and how its affected them on the LGB & T populations? The early 90s recession saw a famous spike in racially motivated attacks, culminating famously in the Stephen Lawrence murder. What with recent advances in rights for same sex couples, perhaps LGB & T people are seen more as a visible target. Many of the perpitrators of these attacks are between 16-21, traditionally hardest hit by economic slowdowns.

Perhaps in addition to the Mayor working with the Police to step up action to prevent homophobic/transphobic attacks, the government itself needs to look at what its doing for the 16-21 groups in terms of employment, benefits, community projects etc so that they don’t collectively take out their frustrations on our community.

2. Simon Murphy 4 Nov 2009, 12:21pm

Appalling that another gay man has been attacked. And very worrying that there is a definite rise in homophobic crime. I hope this latest victim recovers fully.

And I also hope that he was not cottaging in a public toilet as the story seems to imply. Cottaging is beyond foolish and is totally dangerous. And it is entirely unnecessary. There are far safer, equally anonymous ways of getting your leg over if you want to.

Hope this latest victim has a speedy recovery.

One

3. It’s awful to see another victim, I hope he recovers quickly.

Makes me wonder with the rise in homophobic crime how many more will there be?

4. When you see what little respect shows on the BBC, ITV, CH4 and CH5 show LGBT people, you must wonder is this a case of life imitating art. Then you have the LGBT phobic reporting of papers like The Star, Sun and Daily Mail who daily stir up hate towards the LGBT. Add into that mix the hatred religion shows us and we have a time bomb waiting to go off.

I fear this is only the tip of the iceberg of what is to come, after we have a new right wing government we will all live in fear as protections are striped away. We are the dog everybody wants to kick as we try and get a seat at the table they only want us under so they can feed us crumbs and kick us.

This is the result of your homophobic comments Chris Moyles and Jonathan Ross, I hope your happy.

5. Whether the victim was cottaging or not is utterly irrelevant – it’s no justification for violence.

6. Charlie: But it IS relevant. If LGBT want equality, they have to act like equals too. It’s a two-way stretch. Cottaging had justifiable reasons when homosexuality was illegal. Hopefully we have come a long way since those days, so we have to also accomodate the fact that it is not socially acceptable.

That said, it is certainly no reason to beat somebody up over it, but people need to be aware that actions such as that can evoke violent tendencies in the more Neanderthal of of our species.

7. Robert, ex pat Brit 4 Nov 2009, 2:31pm

What are the religious cults saying about this? I suppose their silence gives consent. Nothing new there. Lets not forget, these were the primary instigators of institutionalised homophobia for more than two millenia. NOTHING has changed! Pure evil and at the root of it all if you look at the history of western civilization.

8. Mihangel apYrs 4 Nov 2009, 2:56pm

I would like to think that more cases such as this are being reported as homophobic rather than the overall numbers increasing.

9. What is curious about Ilford is that once it was always a predominantly white working class area . . . however no longer.

I have visited Ilford on a number of occasions due to work, and I have never felt safe as a “White English” man. I have always felt some what vulnerable visiting this area, since by ethnicity marks me out as different.

With regards the recent attack, this does not surprise me. Whether or not this was homophobic or racially motivated attack – what is clear is that these are becoming increasinlgy entwined in certain areas of East London.

I hope the man in question makes a full recovery.

10. “But it IS relevant. If LGBT want equality, they have to act like equals too. It’s a two-way stretch. Cottaging had justifiable reasons when homosexuality was illegal.”

Truely stupid statement.

I suppose “equally” straight people should only be taken seriously if they stop cheating on their wives, stop engaging in dogging, stop going to swingers parties, so going to straight sex clubs? Cop on.

Typical Rob Neal self hating gay bashing without any logic applied. You have the IQ of a tomato, Mr. Neal, and are an embarrassingly stupid person.

11. “I may also point out that Ilford has a predominantly Asian population. Draw your own conclusions… ”

12. Tomas – you obviously do not live in an area anything like Ilford or some other East London neighbourhoods with large Muslim populations otherwise you would not come out with such an ignorant remark – homophobia in such areas is acute, getting worse and more violent – bleating racism and failing to recognise there is a real issue here is just plain stupid.

13. Simon Murphy 4 Nov 2009, 7:47pm

“And RobN, a person’s behaviour NEVER should be used to excuse even slightly assault (or rape). We expect human beings to behave within certain norms – violence isn’t one of them! ”

Agreed. We expect people to behave within the norms of decency.

However if I leave my wallet unattended in a crowded bar then I am being very foolish. I expect people to behave decently and leave it alone but if I do that I am being foolish. I also have a responsibility to keep an eye on my own belongings.

This man did not deserve to be assaulted – no one is making that claim. But if he was loitering in a cottage, then equally no one can argue that he was showing a distinct lack of regard for his own personal safety.

14. I may also point out that Ilford has a predominantly Asian population. Draw your own conclusions…
    Comment by RobN — November 4, 2009 @ 14:26

RobN – official statistics show that approximately 40% of Ilford’s population is Asian, so the predominant population to which you refer – the other 60%, is not. Your statement is incorrect and smacks of the type of innacuracies bandied about by tabloids which rarely let the facts get in the way of a headline.

I have lived all my life in a part of north London which is the most diverse part of western europe in terms of ethnic mix. I have been educated and worked with people of all backgrounds and dated the same. In my 40 years experience having a large population of ‘X’ nationality is not the problem. A large percentage of people who choose to act on their religious beliefs and use them to justify homophobia is. The ‘Asians’ you refer to will follow many religions and none. Not all of those who have belief demonstrate homophobia, so to extrapolate from the notion that a large Asian population = homophobic assaults is ridiculous.

You invite us to draw our conclusions about the ethnic background of those who attacked this man with zero evidence to support your theory. Argue it any way you want, this is pure racism and is as bad as the homophobia we all are trying to eradicate. Thanks a lot for setting back our progress.

15. Philip Davidson 4 Nov 2009, 10:26pm

Chapel Rd Ilford, Essex IG1 has a nice theatre the Kenneth More Theatre

Oakfield Road, Ilford, Essex IG1 1BT

Just over the road from the theatre is the library
    Clements Road, Ilford, Essex, London, IG1 1EA

A nice big library.

The antisocial behaviour special constables normally appear around about 4 o’clock
    to deal with young Bangladesh and Indians.

youtube Ilford.
    It has a large Indian population and people who originate from Bangladesh.

Like most of Essex you have a ageing 70 + splattering of gay couples.
    The area seems a safe place to me I’ve been all over the place.

You shouldn’t confuse this place with little Ilford which is Bangladesh, Newham, London.

Essex is a strange place it’s like going back in time they call it the area of “white flight”
    they’ve introduced a new scheme in Essex called cross-border housing.
    The idea is to give priority housing to blacks and Asians to make the two groups
    live together with white people whether they like it or not.

Everybody is assuming that the cottage queen is white.
    Bangladesh Asians are very well known for cottaging.

The area near the Olympic Stadium is called Greenway and it is where the Moslems want to build a mosque
    they have Moslems Lady boys who work the area every day at two o’clock in the evening.

Typical hypocrisy that is religion for you.

16. Now RobN is trying to minimise this crime because of cottaging. Would he do the same with the beating of female members of our society if they were soliciting sex in the streets?

17. so how is the big ethnic “melting pot ” working for the UK?…hmmm

18. Jean-Paul Bentham 5 Nov 2009, 3:29am

Legalize pepper spray now.

19. “so how is the big ethnic “melting pot ” working for the UK?”

Much better than it is in the US, thanks for asking. Its not 1920 any more, its a global world we live in. But racism is still going unfortunately, under the guise of “protecting our heritage”. Ironic, but Britain, like many other countries, is nothing but a mongrel nation…. there is no such thing as “ethnic” British. Never was.

20. Jean-Paul Bentham 5 Nov 2009, 9:06am

A bunch of thugs are coming at you with the intention of kicking your brains out.

Time to take our your dog-eared copy of “Rules of Rational debate”?

Ha!

Legalize pepper spray now, ’cause you ain’t seen nothing yet, except that we know that TV cameras all over the place and an homophobic police force are as useless as tits on a bull.

But I ain’t bitter.

21. “so how is the big ethnic “melting pot ” working for the UK?”

. . . if it was working we would not be seeing a rise in the popularity of far right parties such as the BNP

22. Tomas “Oh, yes! Lets set up death camps to deal with them. Will that keep you happy you racist piece of filth?”

Ah yes. Golden rule of internet forums: Try to equate anything you don’t like to Hitler/Nazis/Holocaust.

I happen to live in a part of East London where I would make a conservative estimate that there are less than 5% indigenous Brits. That’s not a racist claim, that’s a fact.

I was just waiting for some prat to pipe up about “Well straights do it, so why can’t we?” Yeah, well there’s more of them than us, and proportionately, very few try to pick up strangers in public toilets. As Simon Murphy pointed out, you do things like that at your own risk. I have heard many complaints about girls mincing about wearing very little and teasing men on the street and then wonder why they get raped. All the feminists scream “She should be able to wear what she likes!” – Yes, very true, but this is the real world we live in, not Enid Blyton land. Tomas,I never condoned the violence, for whatever reason people may consider it justifiable, but that doesn’t mean that people won’t attack you just for being gay. You are a totally naive f_ckwit if you think otherwise.

23. Jean-Paul Bentham 5 Nov 2009, 2:50pm

Ha. It’s November 5, 2009; the day i finally agree with RobN!!

Tomas, put a sock in it.

24. Pumpkin Pie 5 Nov 2009, 3:07pm

Only if you post the requisite proof. Unless you mean that it’s a fact that you think that, but then that would be a pretty inane thing to say.

Do you even have any statistics or proof for that whatsoever? That is complete and utter BS.

25. “Yes, very true, but this is the real world we live in, not Enid Blyton land.”

No, Rob, you don’t live in the real world, you life in some fascist delirium where evil gay men are all out to get you and any change in the colour of someone skin is the cause of all your life ills. I’d call it more of a psychosis. You can pontificate all you like about the “real world” according to you, but when you defend the actions of rapists based on some girls clothing, you’re show you not only a fool, but a rather disturbed one.

Get used to being lonely and angry Rob, you seem to have little capability to be anything else.

26. Jean-Paul Bentham 5 Nov 2009, 6:09pm

wow. all I did was take some cold medication. I should turn off this damn laptop and go to a nice warm bed.

27. Will: No, you live in some pseudo-communist fog that thinks all men are equal, and anyone that doesn’t follow the socialist ethic is a Nazi. For one thing, I don’t give a sh!t about people’s skin colour, but I do care about non-Brits taking over British work, education and health budgets and causing crime. If they are qualified and pay their way, fine. If they are layabouts, please go home, we have enough of our own.

Will: As for rape stats, in the last year, 8% of rapists were described as white, 32% as black, and 28% as other or unknown. Even if you work a conservative stat that 20% of the population is black, combined with the 8%, that shows a highly disproportionate number commiting this crime. How many are immigrants, we don’t know, but suffice to say there is a f_cking great elephant in the room, and people are sick and tired of being labelled ‘racist’ every time they point out these facts. Remember, racism goes both ways.

Pumpkin: Recent survey in my region, (which I won’t name): – 51% Asian, 23% Afro/Caribbean, 14% Eastern European, 4% Irish, 4% British, 4% Other

I don’t think this is particularly unusual for outer London boroughs either.

28. “For one thing, I don’t give a sh!t about people’s skin colour, but I do care about non-Brits taking over British work, education and health budgets and causing crime”

I suppose its no surprise, its rather similar to the lines we get form bigots: “I don’t give a sh!t about people’s gay people, I have loads of gay friends, but I do care about gays taking over family life, sex education, morality and causing STD’s”

So, lets get this right. According to you, and your enlightened philosophy: All immigrants are lazy and statistically a rapist if they’re black? Women deserve to be raped if they wear skimpy clothes? “Non-Brits” taking over British work, education and health budgets and causing crime?

WTF???? Are you for f..king real?!?!?!

Do you even read the s!ite you write? Yeah, I was sorry to call you a nazi…. you’re a idiot, not a nazi.

Oh, and back up your stats with a source. All you ever rant on about in here is gay men getting STI’s and how you’re better off without us (feeling is mutual, I’m sure) and other nationalities “taking our jobs”. This is a joke. Please, you want to be offensive to decency and intelligence, off you go, but don’t expect everyone else to jump on your Enoch Powell bandwagon of nonsense and bigotry.

How can anyone expect any equality when they cannot afford the same to others? This is why you’re always be in the minority Rob… thankfully.

29. Will: The stats were in yesterday’s Evening Standard.
    Where did I say, (or even imply), that “All immigrants are lazy and statistically a rapist if they’re black?” – I didn’t. The problem is, a lot are, and we now have a situation where some Brits won’t work because they’d rather live on benefits and let foreigners do the work. I’m not saying it’s wrong for immigrants to try to get here, but we have to protect our own interests, and the Labour government have freely admitted they left the door open so as to “annoy the right wing” as they put it. Actually what they have done is irreparably damage the economic infrastructure of an entire country.

Incidentally, have you ever read the Enoch Powell infamous “”Rivers of Blood” speech? I very much doubt it, or you would not spout such drivel. Powell was certainly no racist, but he saw what was coming and was shouted down for it, and it ultimately cost him his career. His speech was a harbinger of things to come, and they came true.
    If anyone should get a posthumous apology, it’s him.

I might be in the minority, but that’s because I don’t subscribe to a blinkered, muddle-headed socialist ideology, unlike so many on here that have naive ideas that everyone is the same, and that one day, everything in the garden will be rosy, and we will have world peace and everyone will love each other. Yeah, right.

30. “Incidentally, have you ever read the Enoch Powell infamous “”Rivers of Blood” speech?”

Don’t insult my intelligence, of course I did. You, and a few BNP nuts, think it came true, and that’s it. Not everyone wants a homogeneous world full of whites.

“Where did I say, (or even imply), that “All immigrants are lazy and statistically a rapist if they’re black?” – I didn’t”

Really? You said “for rape stats, in the last year, 8% of rapists were described as white, 32% as black”. That’s means statistically a rapist will be more likely black. Is this hard for you to follow? And you still didn’t provide a source…. is this the Daily Mail 101 racial statistics class for the dumb but angry again?

And if you think that immigration has “irreparably damage the economic infrastructure of an entire country” then you don’t understand the economics of the current global recession. But that’s hardly a surprise, you’ll, like most racists, you grasp at straws for racism and rarely see the facts, unless they somehow back up a disturbed racial view. But historically, maybe if the British didn’t spend so much time empire building in the 19th century, you wouldn’t have needed to invited the so many oppressed and displaced into your country from occupied territory.
    But honestly, I don’t care what you believe with regards to your neo-nazi philosophies. They failed in 1945, and they’ll fail now. There’ll always be an angry little section of society willing to blame the lowest common denominator for their own failings in life and why no one likes them. Keep you anger and your racism, I’m sure it keeps you warm at night Rob. And if the opposite of racism is believing in the development of equality, as you put it, I’ll take the “that one day, everything in the garden will be rosy”, I’ll take that “naive” view… becuase your views and your attitude disgust me.

31. Tony Lambert 6 Nov 2009, 2:07pm

Best line Ive seen here in a while – and unfortunately lost of some people – I can never understand gay men, after all we endure turning around and doing the same thing to someone else. Its nuts. RobN – you should be ashamed of some of your comments.

32. Will: It’s obvious you only read what you want to read: “And you still didn’t provide a source…”

Comment 29, First f_cking line. Twat.

Again, you read in what you want to read, not what I say:
    “That means statistically a rapist will be more likely black” – That means statistically higher than average. And WHERE in ANY of my posts have I mentioned being lazy.?

If you are going to make a coherent argument, at least have the decency to argue about what I actually say, not what your drug-addled brain imagines I said.

Don’t put words in my mouth, f_ckwit!”

33. “Don’t put words in my mouth, f_ckwit!”

I did no such thing… you demonstrated yourself to be a racist all by your little old self. I was right, you don’t read what you write, just a flow of conscious bile isn’t it? And saying the “Evening Standard” is not a source, you moron! Its true, isn’t it? The more bigoted, usually the more stupid.

And the dumb rage and anger, please, at least try to elevate yourself to a better level. Can you do that now? For me? Please? There’s a good monkey….

34. Will: The Evening Standard was my source. I read it on the tube home. I don’t happen to carry the full MORI poll or whatever in my head, but I do know it was taken from Met Police data.

Rage and anger, yes. Dumb? Never.

35. “It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well.” – Descartes

36. I have the misfortune to live in Ilford, this being the result of a job re-location. The population appears to be mainly people originating from the Indian sub-continent. I would not say that, as a traditional white Englishman, I find the place intimidating but it is no longer ‘a part of England’. I would certainly NOT want to be recognised as being gay.

There you have it from someone who lives in the town.