Exclusive: Met police accused of ‘watering down’ lesbian and gay liaison officers as hate crime rises

1. theotherone 23 Oct 2009, 12:34pm

so theres a rise in attacks on Queer people and the police limit resources?

Another great example of The New Britain where morality means more than humanity.

2. Covert Insider 23 Oct 2009, 1:07pm

Word on the inside is that someone in the Met’s Diversity and Citizen Focused Directorate is stirring up trouble to protect an LGBT liaison officer.

This hysteria is nothing more than internal politics.

3. Cleggy in the Press 23 Oct 2009, 1:27pm

My police force changed from LGBT liaison officers to Equality officers and ethrything fell apart. I myself was homophobicly attacked and I reported it to the Police and they made a caterlog of earors. So when I tryied to make a complaint they tride to ignore me (I was the Co-Founder of a number of liaison groups with the Police at the time). It was only when I got my MP to force through the complaint did they then take it serrosly.

If I was being treated like that what chance do ordenry people have?

What ever you do, DO-NOT allow the police to change into Equality officers. As LGBT liaison officers they will have ONE job to do, as Equality officers they will have a lot of other jobs to do.

4. Cleggy, if you put in a report that reads anything like your post, I’m surprised they understood it. Let alone be able to deal with the issue. I never criticise others spelling as I’m the last person to talk but that has got to be the worst I have ever seen.

I take on board what your saying and will keep an eye on our liasion officer as that is what has happened in my town.

5. I am absolutely disgusted if it true the Met intend to remove or make LGBT liaison officers part time. Is that all we are worth?

Why do the Met not consult with us in the gay community?

If this report is correct it will decimate much of the hard carried out by past and current LGBT officers within the Met. It will alienate the LGBT community from the Police.

It’s important to have LGBT officer so we feel safe and secure in the knowledge they have a better understanding of our lifestyle when reporting homophobic acts or have any concerns around our personal safety.

6. LormaM

cleggy in the press may have a medical condition, or maybe English is not his first language , or maybe he failed to just spell check.

Yes there are spelling mistakes –I understood his point and I’m sure those reading his report about any abuse would understand what he was trying to convey

7. I believe it’s a way of dealing with all hate crime by putting all diversity issues under one command, and it’s called hate crime. This is why you will end up with asian officer’s dealing with homophobic cases. Think there is trouble ahead.

8. Cleggy in the Press 23 Oct 2009, 3:37pm

I failed to put it through the spell checker, so here it is again:

My police force changed from LGBT liaison officers to Equality officers and everything fell apart. I myself was homophobicly attacked and I reported it to the Police and they made a cater-log of errors. So when I tryied to make a complaint they tried to ignore me (I was the Co-Founder of a number of liaison groups with the Police at the time). It was only when I got my MP to force through the complaint did they then take it seriously.

If I was being treated like this, what chance do ordinary people have?

9. BouncerManInBlack 23 Oct 2009, 4:02pm

Cleggy in the Press… Eye fink U knead two change your spill chucker and right that a gain

10. Vic Codling 23 Oct 2009, 5:21pm

Restricting an officer to focus on LGB&T issues full time is not the way forward. Surely all police officers must be able to correctly work with the gay communities. I agree with Stonewall on this one…. Do only black officers deal with the black community? I don’t think so. LGB&T liaison officers is a cop-out (no pun intended). Where is the training on gay issues in the Met… they are almost entirely race focused! If it is the case that a South Asian officer (as quoted above) is unable to deal professionally with gay related issues, then he/she should be dealt with.

11. Sister Mary Clarence 23 Oct 2009, 9:47pm

As a resident of Southwark, what I can say is that Southwark has a police force that are all trained to deal with and sensitive to issues that arise within the LGBT community.

I’ve made the point on here before that my experiences and the experiences of others in Southwark are extremely positive in relation to homophobic crime. Coupled with the attitude of the local authority, we receive a substantially better service than many other boroughs if the views often expressed on here are accurate.

I would never dream of asking for an LGBT officer to deal with any issues that I have in Southwark because the borough treats equality and diversity as an extremely important issue, and every officer and every team is able to deal with an issue with the sensitivity it deserves.

I’m sorry others do not have this.

12. All police officers should be trained in LGBT policing. No if or buts it should be ALL officers. The Met requires all officers to deal with the issues of race and sex, so why is sexuality and gender identity different and can only be handled by a select few officers.

This is why officers dismiss us when we report homophobic and transphobic crimes as the have been left without a clue how to deal with them.

13. And talking of spelling mistakes, LornaM would be interested to know that “your” = possessive article, and “you’re” = you are. However, Cleggy’s point is shocking. ‘Equality’ is a euphemism for sweeping it under the carpet, not acknowledging it. Lots of different minorities all under the same umbrella. No doubt some of these minorities are acutally a big part of the problem.

14. Whilst we’re on the issue of Hate Crimes – don’t forget to come along to the Candle-lit Vigil at Trafalgar Square, Friday 30 October, 8pm with a 2 min silence at 9pm.

Go to http://www.17-24-30 for more information.

cheers

Robert

15. The Lizzie 12 27 Oct 2009, 9:57pm

In the London Borough of Southwark we – the LGBT community – have always been CONSULTED by the Police about issues realting to us. We have had a tremendous input but, of course, the Police get all the credit! They have played a part, and an important one, but I am gutted that they decided to axe our LGBT Liaison Officer post without consulting us first. That is known as bad practice but it is also insulting to all of us who have worked long, hard and voluntarily at the ‘front line’ of our communities to make positive changes. Vic Codling is wrong. We should have sepcially trained LGBT Liaison Officers AND officers across the board who can deal with issues relating to us.